Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

circuit breaker panel upgrade will move it to outside of garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 100 amp circuit breaker box on the inside of my garage. I got one quote so far for an upgrade to a 200 amp circuit breaker. He said due to new code that the main switch must be located on the outside of the house. That also all the circuit breakers would be cheaper to be placed with then in the same panel.

Is there an easier alternative to have this done? He said he could also have a 200 amp subpanel and have that in the garage with all the breaker there for an extra $600.

I will see what the next electrician recommends tomorrow when I get a quote from him. I do have that part of the house fenced in, so it should be protected plus I will put on a padlock. Just wandering if the breakers will last longer by putting them on the inside and if it's worth the extra $600.

There's no reason to put all the breakers on the outside of the house.

I have indeed heard that the breaker on the outside is a new recommendation. I'm not sure its actually code-required. Assuming it is, I'd put a small main-panel outside, and make your current 100 amp main panel a 100 amp circuit off of the new main. Then run whatever you need as another breaker in the main(or if that 100 amp panel can actually handle more current, get it installed as a 150 amp subpanel and stick a breaker in there if it still has space).

A quick search found me this: Residential Main Breaker Question So apparently a means of emergency disconnect needs to be on the outside of the house. Notably, it doesn't even need to be a breaker at all, you could have your main panel stay your main panel and put a big weatherproof knife switch outside. (Apparently the fire department doesn't just want to pull the meter off).

Reactions: ay221
Wow, that seems like an annoying requirement. I had not heard of that one before. When we had solar installed, that did require a disconnect switch on the outside of the house, because they need that to prevent backfeeding from the solar into the grid if grid maintenance is being done, but I hadn't heard this for all houses in general.

So I talked with the second electrician and the main box power switch has to be installed outside but they could install the subpanel on the outside. He was like $1100 more so I went with the first electrician. Getting a Nema 14-50 plug installed as well. I don't want any charger hardwire so it's easier to change out if needed. I will have at least an extra 50 amps avaliable for future upgrades. Probably might never need it, but nice to have just in case.