Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

City Council Candidate hits Model 3, then flees scene

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In China, they'd be able to use image recognition to find the house of the person who vandalized your car.

I'm expecting some disagreement but I believe the US absolutely should do the same. Privacy has become an illusion and no longer actually exists, might as well embrace total surveillance for the greater good. Wouldn't it be better if you could park worry-free anywhere because the town you're in has its own sentry mode?

That's certainly no way to win someone's vote by backing into their car, understand from reading the video description (on YouTube) that he was at a Candidates forum meeting. In watching it I can't help but feel he couldn't believe he had hit and damaged the car. I will say at least he did stop and checked it out, unlike so many other videos you've seen where you know they know they hit a car and just leave. In fact my husband's car recently was hit by a hit-and-run driver in a bank parking lot (and thanks to a bystander forced the guy to return to the lot while the bystander ran in and found my husband to tell him what she had seen).

You could tell he was probably thinking "oh man, this is more than just a little scuff mark on their paint". I wasn't sure if he was waiting for people to leave because obviously there were still people there during the whole time or if maybe he was waiting for the owner to come out. There is a noticeable stop in the video where I assume some amount of video was deleted or maybe this was two separate Sentry mode clips spliced together, but it left me unsure how much time passed between clips. Like did he wait for the owner, attempt to find the owner, left a note, whatever. I did read the subsequent posts after the video. As a former traffic court judge no less, he certainly knows what he should do and what he's responsible for. Well hope the Model 3 owner gets made whole.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dmagyar
Besides being a liar, he also appears to be one of the world's worst drivers. Hitting the car next to you while backing out of your parking spot?? Really??

That's exactly what happened in my husband's case except it was a commercial vehicle with one of those stainless steel steps on the end. Scraped from the back of the wheel wheel and along the bumper. Don't understand why people can't just back out straight. That Escalade and the commercial truck probably were of a similar length. In my husband MS it was $3229 body/labor plus $1053 Xpel.

Last edited:
I’m guessing he doesn’t have your vote? :p

Seriously though, another classic case of someone driving a vehicle that is too large for them to handle. Hope your repair is speedy and the insurance situation isn’t too much of a pain.

I wonder how long until the local news picks up on the story.

I’m guessing he doesn’t have your vote? :p

Seriously though, another classic case of someone driving a vehicle that is too large for them to handle. Hope your repair is speedy and the insurance situation isn’t too much of a pain.

I wonder how long until the local news picks up on the story.

Just post it on twitter... it will get picked up quite fast lol.

Reactions: tkc9789
Hit and run at that level of damage (cost) can be a felony. Definitely press charges and get him sent back to jail.

So he showed up two days later at the police station with his info (of course not the rental info).
His claim is that he left a note, which is clearly not true since he fled in under a minute.
The police are too busy to go beyond that, so now its up to insurance.. and maybe some local news will be interested.

So he showed up two days later at the police station with his info (of course not the rental info).
His claim is that he left a note, which is clearly not true since he fled in under a minute.
The police are too busy to go beyond that, so now its up to insurance.. and maybe some local news will be interested.

Maybe offer him a deal. Pay up for the entire repair, or the clip goes on air.