Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"<City> Has A Supercharger"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Jul 12, 2012
Maine
OK, so I've returned from two weeks vacation. We don't have a Tesla, so we drove our Volt. Given the places to which we drove, the routes we took and the numbers of times I said to my wife "Oh, <City> has a Supercharger", I was curious to see whether we could have driven that in a Tesla with Supercharging.

Home to Erie, PA: I-95/I-295/I-95, I-495, I-90.
That'd be no problem now that Erie's open.

Erie, PA to Springfield, IL: I-80/I-90, I-84, I-80, I-55. (Took the northern route there).
Still on Interstates so I think it'd have been easy. We might have modified our route a bit, though.

Springfield, IL to Chesterton, IN via Fowler, IN:
Fowler, IN has a very large wind farm, and while we've seen turbines, we hadn't seen anything on that scale.
We then took a US route up to Chesterton. With overnight destination charging, wouldn't have been a problem, otherwise we'd have to divert to Lafayette, IN to get more Supercharge.

Chesterton, IN to Indianapolis, IN via Shipshewana, IN.
In an 85 with some care we could have gone direct, especially since we just took a US route down to Indianapolis. But I'm thinking of the future in a Model 3, so I think it would likely have required doubling back to MIshawaka, IN after visiting Shipshewana, IN.

Indianapolis, IN to Columbus, OH via Bloomington, IN:
Not a problem getting to Columbus, but would have needed a diversion to Grove City, OH to get extra charge since we spent a day there so drove a bit. (Perhaps could also have picked up a little charge from an HPWC at the Easton Town Centre mall parking garage while eating at a restaurant, walking and shopping. Walked by the Tesla store, but didn't go in, because there's nothing I need at a Tesla store at this point.)

Columbus, OH to Hudson, OH:
Easy peasy. Macedonia, OH is close by.

Hudson, OH to Pittsburgh, PA:
Another easy one. Cranberry would have been an option to boost charge for our stay in Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh, PA to Maine.
OK, this is where the Great Northeastern Hole would cause a problem.
Google's fastest route from Pittsburgh, PA to Wherewelive, ME is US-22, I-99, I-80, I-81, I-84, I-691, I-91, I-84, I-90, I-290, I-495, I-95/I-295. That avoids West Hartford, CT. Google says to leave the Mass Pike at Auburn anyway although our GPS said to go I-90, I-495. Either way, from Newburgh, NY it's no problem, but Pittsburgh, PA to Newburgh, NY is about 380 miles and not yet covered, which means taking an alternative, slower route (that also would likely cost more in tolls).

I haven't done a full analysis so I can't say how many additional miles and how much additional time we'd have needed had we had to Supercharge a Tesla instead of add gas to our Volt.

Anyway, I posted this because I thought it was interesting that even a trip planned with some via points had us traveling reasonably close to Superchargers, and apparently the only major diversions would simply be because Tesla hasn't completed it's coverage (the approach to central PA could well be waiting for the result of the Sheetz negotiations) or for want of overnight charging at a hotel.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SureValla and Gwgan
OK, so I've returned from two weeks vacation. We don't have a Tesla, so we drove our Volt. Given the places to which we drove, the routes we took and the numbers of times I said to my wife "Oh, <City> has a Supercharger", I was curious to see whether we could have driven that in a Tesla with Supercharging.

Home to Erie, PA: I-95/I-295/I-95, I-495, I-90.
That'd be no problem now that Erie's open.

Erie, PA to Springfield, IL: I-80/I-90, I-84, I-80, I-55. (Took the northern route there).
Still on Interstates so I think it'd have been easy. We might have modified our route a bit, though.

Fowler, IN has a very large wind farm, and while we've seen turbines, we hadn't seen anything on that scale.
We then took a US route up to Chesterton. With overnight destination charging, wouldn't have been a problem, otherwise we'd have to divert to Lafayette, IN to get more Supercharge.

In an 85 with some care we could have gone direct, especially since we just took a US route down to Indianapolis. But I'm thinking of the future in a Model 3, so I think it would likely have required doubling back to MIshawaka, IN after visiting Shipshewana, IN.

Indianapolis, IN to Columbus, OH via Bloomington, IN:
Not a problem getting to Columbus, but would have needed a diversion to Grove City, OH to get extra charge since we spent a day there so drove a bit. (Perhaps could also have picked up a little charge from an HPWC at the Easton Town Centre mall parking garage while eating at a restaurant, walking and shopping. Walked by the Tesla store, but didn't go in, because there's nothing I need at a Tesla store at this point.)

Hudson, OH to Pittsburgh, PA:
Another easy one. Cranberry would have been an option to boost charge for our stay in Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh, PA to Maine.
OK, this is where the Great Northeastern Hole would cause a problem.
Google's fastest route from Pittsburgh, PA to Wherewelive, ME is US-22, I-99, I-80, I-81, I-84, I-691, I-91, I-84, I-90, I-290, I-495, I-95/I-295. That avoids West Hartford, CT. Google says to leave the Mass Pike at Auburn anyway although our GPS said to go I-90, I-495. Either way, from Newburgh, NY it's no problem, but Pittsburgh, PA to Newburgh, NY is about 380 miles and not yet covered, which means taking an alternative, slower route (that also would likely cost more in tolls).

I haven't done a full analysis so I can't say how many additional miles and how much additional time we'd have needed had we had to Supercharge a Tesla instead of add gas to our Volt.

Anyway, I posted this because I thought it was interesting that even a trip planned with some via points had us traveling reasonably close to Superchargers, and apparently the only major diversions would simply be because Tesla hasn't completed it's coverage (the approach to central PA could well be waiting for the result of the Sheetz negotiations) or for want of overnight charging at a hotel.

MA just signed a deal to add "50kW" charging to the Pike at a few rest stops. It won't be Tesla, but it would be more convenient than leaving the Pike would be.

Combine that with the speculation about a "north of Boston" service center (that hopefully has SC on site), and you should someday be able to have the Pike chargers as backup, then take 95N off the Pike, stop at the service center/Supercharger, and continue into ME.

The traffic on 95N would kinda stink, compared to 495N (which also is rough during tourist season....), but who knows, maybe they site the SC on 495 instead, making it even more convenient for those headed far north.

Just curious how many of the miles you covered in the Volt were electric and if you attempted to charge on the trip.

60.2 EV
1272 gas.
Didn't try hard to get charges.
Looked in parking lots for obvious chargers but didn't ask.
Only place I got some charge was Indianapolis Zoo which has 2 public J1772s in good parking spots. (That was the highlight of the zoo for us.)

And I need to edit my trip. I forgot a via point that would have made a significant difference.

• Informative
Reactions: SureValla
Thanks for the info.
If you turn on notifications for the Chargepoint (phone) app you can quickly check if any chargers are in your vicinity.
Sometimes you hit something unexpected while on the road.

Can't edit my first post.

Change required to:
I wrote:

Actually was
Columbus, OH to Hudson, OH via Cumberland, OH:
We went to The Wilds, a safari park in Cumberland, OH which we _did_ enjoy.
77 miles to the The Wilds
118 miles from The Wilds to Hudson, OH.
That's likely too far on a single charge in a base Tesla so would have required a diversion to Triadelphia, WV.

The Wilds is in the middle of nowhere on an old coal mine, and only has very basic facilities in its parking lot. It does have scheduled times for its rides, so in theory could have dependable, bookable destination charging at some point in the future.

A Supercharger near Cambridge, OH at the I-70/I-77 intersection would, of coursed, solved the problem. It's a natural location whenever Tesla can fill the hole in West Virginia and SE Ohio. It's 141 miles from Grove City, OH to Triadelphia, WV.

Kokomo, IN is under construction and made me think of revisiting this.

Me said:

The Merrillville, IN Supercharger would either have been on the way, or a small diversion, even if destination charging weren't available.
There are a couple of chargers at the Indiana Dunes state park, where we spent a few hours, so might even have got some charge there.

Me said:

We passed through Kokomo, IN on our way to Indianapolis, IN anyway, so that would have avoided a diversion, given the higher efficiency of lower-speed driving off the Interstate.

Me said:
Actually was
Columbus, OH to Hudson, OH via Cumberland, OH:
We went to The Wilds, a safari park in Cumberland, OH which we _did_ enjoy.
77 miles to the The Wilds
118 miles from The Wilds to Hudson, OH.
That's likely too far on a single charge in a base Tesla so would have required a diversion to Triadelphia, WV.

A Supercharger near Cambridge, OH at the I-70/I-77 intersection would, of coursed, solved the problem. It's a natural location whenever Tesla can fill the hole in West Virginia and SE Ohio. It's 141 miles from Grove City, OH to Triadelphia, WV.

There is a Supercharger in Cambridge, OH.

So, it should be that 4 years later, our random road trip would have been possible in a Tesla without any significant diversions.