Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road Trip - Specific Route Question - Central OH to NE OH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Tesla road trippers! Can someone help me understand a trip routing and range question?

I'm planning a trip from 1900 Ikea Way, Columbus, OH 43240 to the Perry Highway Supercharger, located at 8180 Perry Highway Erie, PA 16509. Here is the route in Google, which says its 221 miles. My vehicle is a 2020 Model 3 Long Range with 18" Aero wheels with caps, and I will be leaving with 100% SoC. This vehicle has a factory range of 322 miles, and I charged to 100% on a different trip with an estimated 318 miles max. In a perfect world, there would be about a 100 mile surplus.

Of course, in the real world there are many variables (wind, weather, weigh, battery degradation, etc.), but my expectation is that I would be able to make this planned trip without two stops. A Better Route Planner, Tesla's Supercharger website, and the car's internal route planning all plan a 5-6 minute stop at the Macedonia, OH Supercharger, or Twinsburg, or Mount Gilead.

This is not a knock on the stated EPA range, and adding a extra 10 minute detour is not some big deal. I was just wondering if anyone on here has experience with this route or with driving in northeast Ohio. I have lived in Ohio for 50 years, but have only been to Cleveland twice. Is it particularly hilly or is there a significant elevation change up that way?

Of course, in the real world there are many variables (wind, weather, weigh, battery degradation, etc.), but my expectation is that I would be able to make this planned trip without two stops. A Better Route Planner, Tesla's Supercharger website, and the car's internal route planning all plan a 5-6 minute stop at the Macedonia, OH Supercharger, or Twinsburg, or Mount Gilead.

My preferred planner is www.evtripplanner.com. I put it in there, and it plotted that as non-stop, as it should be. Really easy, and showed only about 163 rated miles for consumption on that. (which actually seems lower than I would expect the usage to be)

The one on the Tesla website is garbage; don't use it.

ABRP is really good. I put the route into that, and I saw the one stop you mentioned for 6 minutes, but then I noticed it said it was starting at 90%. I switched it to 100%, as you said you would be using, and re-plotted, and it removed the stop and made it continuous, with a 17% arrival.

I'm not really much of a pre-planner. I would just set the target and start going, but watch my estimated arrival %, and if it's getting lower than I'd like, I'll take the top-up stop. If not, then I'll skip it.

Hey Tesla road trippers! Can someone help me understand a trip routing and range question?

I'm planning a trip from 1900 Ikea Way, Columbus, OH 43240 to the Perry Highway Supercharger, located at 8180 Perry Highway Erie, PA 16509. Here is the route in Google, which says its 221 miles. My vehicle is a 2020 Model 3 Long Range with 18" Aero wheels with caps, and I will be leaving with 100% SoC. This vehicle has a factory range of 322 miles, and I charged to 100% on a different trip with an estimated 318 miles max. In a perfect world, there would be about a 100 mile surplus.

This is not a knock on the stated EPA range, and adding a extra 10 minute detour is not some big deal. I was just wondering if anyone on here has experience with this route or with driving in northeast Ohio. I have lived in Ohio for 50 years, but have only been to Cleveland twice. Is it particularly hilly or is there a significant elevation change up that way?
Do you have 5% deg? Cause that's what ABRP's settings show. I think it's the default. If you remove that 5%, it shows no stops, but you wind up with 11% at destination. If you want to see the elevation change, just tap on the route. It'll show the elevation:
by default 2022-10-14 at 9.14.41 PM.jpg

Just looking at your trip, it takes 3h30m the way you have it set up. I generally don't think about the supercharger stops, because supercharger stops are faster than slow driving. If you up your speed to 113% of speed limit, it drops your trip time to 3h8m, and that's with the 7m of charging. I prefer traveling faster, and making a quick stop to top up, because that always results in faster trip times.

If it was me, I would plan on stopping at the Twinsburg SC, which is a little bit out of the way but not much. There's not enough elevation change to worry about. Going into and out of the Cuyahoga Valley at the national park is the most, but even that's not enough to factor in or change plans. That's fairly close to half way as well. Macedonia is okay but it's only 6 stalls. Twinsburg has a nicer gas station, Sheetz, to stop at and is V3 so faster too. The V3 vs V2 might be enough for the small diversion.

Reactions: Massive Attack
Thank you for replying, guys.

@Rocky_H I have never used that website before. I will add it to my toolbox.

@KenC I was using to defaults, so I did have the 5% in there. Thank you for explaining this, as I think this value is having a huge impact.

@Chisale I was wanted to stop at the Erie, PA V3 charger, so this is a reasonable plan. Like you said, it's not that far out of the way.