Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clarification on EV parking and towing at businesses with free charging and no explicit restrictions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello fellow EV owners and enthusiasts,

I recently purchased a Tesla and have been using an app to locate free charging spots in my area to park my Tesla overnight. While some locations, like hotels and apartment complexes, clearly indicate that charging is exclusively for guests or residents, I've come across other places with less explicit guidelines.

These places often have EV charging stations with two signs side by side stating "EV parking only" and "unauthorized vehicles will be towed." However, it's unclear whether the towing warning is solely intended to deter non-EV vehicles from parking in these spots or if it's directed at individuals who are not patrons of the establishment.

As a new Tesla owner, I'd like to respect the policies of these establishments while still benefiting from their free charging offerings. Since there is a sign that explicitly states for EV vehicles only, that means my vehicle is authorized, correct? I'm hoping to gain some clarity on this matter from others who may have had similar experiences or insights.

If you have any information or advice regarding the use of these charging stations at businesses without explicit restrictions, I'd greatly appreciate your input.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Best regards

There is no universal rule. It’s up to each private property owner how to enforce their own parking.

But if you’re not supporting their businesses then I wouldn’t hog a spot to charge your car. That is meant to be a perk for their customers. I would especially not park overnight at a shopping center.

If you have to rely on free public charging to charge your car then you shouldn’t have bought an EV. Install a charger at home or pay for supercharging.

Upvote 0
But if you’re not supporting their businesses then I wouldn’t hog a spot to charge your car. That is meant to be a perk for their customers. I would especially not park overnight at a shopping center.
Yea that^^^. If I’m traveling and need a charge at my hotel I shouldn’t have to fight the non customers for a spot.
Hello fellow EV owners and enthusiasts,

I recently purchased a Tesla and have been using an app to locate free charging spots in my area to park my Tesla overnight. While some locations, like hotels and apartment complexes, clearly indicate that charging is exclusively for guests or residents, I've come across other places with less explicit guidelines.

These places often have EV charging stations with two signs side by side stating "EV parking only" and "unauthorized vehicles will be towed." However, it's unclear whether the towing warning is solely intended to deter non-EV vehicles from parking in these spots or if it's directed at individuals who are not patrons of the establishment.

As a new Tesla owner, I'd like to respect the policies of these establishments while still benefiting from their free charging offerings. Since there is a sign that explicitly states for EV vehicles only, that means my vehicle is authorized, correct? I'm hoping to gain some clarity on this matter from others who may have had similar experiences or insights.

If you have any information or advice regarding the use of these charging stations at businesses without explicit restrictions, I'd greatly appreciate your input.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Best regards

I would add. Most parts of the country have a law that the tow sign must include where to get your car back. If that’s missing, it’s usually an empty threat.
IMG_3258.jpeg

Upvote 0
The other replies are all good info. I'll add that if you haven't started using it yet, PlugShare is vital when using public charging sites - at least anything other than the DCFC (Superchargers, CCS, or CHAdeMO). This is crowd-sourced information about all the public charging sites out there. People will post information on if the site is for customers only, how reliable the charging station is, etc...

1717472421796.png

1717472590964.png

• Informative
Reactions: vanjwilson
Upvote 0