Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clean Vehicle Assistance Program and Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems that this program is active again and that Tesla is now participating in it!

I searched around the forums and found an open thread on this topic in the General forum, but I’d like to ask California residents who’ve used the program specifically to buy a Tesla vehicle how the program works.

Per their website, it says that you can only use the grant at participating dealerships, but how would this work since Tesla sells directly to their customers and have no dealerships?

Does anyone have any experience with the CVAP?

NOTE: This program is only available in California.
Program Link: - Clean Vehicle Assistance Program

My guess is that most will not quality because of the income threshold. If you can afford a $60K+ car, you're probably making more than the allocated household income to quality for this program (e.g. $105K max gross annual income for family of 4).

My guess is that most will not quality because of the income threshold. If you can afford a $60K+ car, you're probably making more than the allocated household income to quality for this program (e.g. $105K max gross annual income for family of 4).

Oh, I understand that, but for the small percentage that do qualify though, I’m wondering how this works with Tesla. I emailed Tesla and the CVAP to see if they can answer my question. I believe I could qualify and maybe someone in the forums has experience with this program.

It seems that this program is active again and that Tesla is now participating in it!

I searched around the forums and found an open thread on this topic in the General forum, but I’d like to ask California residents who’ve used the program specifically to buy a Tesla vehicle how the program works.

Per their website, it says that you can only use the grant at participating dealerships, but how would this work since Tesla sells directly to their customers and have no dealerships?

Does anyone have any experience with the CVAP?

NOTE: This program is only available in California.
Program Link: - Clean Vehicle Assistance Program

Last I checked (few days ago) Tesla is not participating and not listed as a participant "dealership" since they are not a dealership.

OP, can you confirm otherwise?

You can use the grant to buy used Tesla from participating dealerships.

I've sent Tesla info requesting to participate but never heard back.

CVAP manager confirm via email (few months ago) that Tesla is not a participant to CVAP.
Screenshot_20200725-031828_Gmail.jpg

Last edited:
Last I checked (few days ago) Tesla is not participating and not listed as a participant "dealership" since they are not a dealership.

OP, can you confirm otherwise?

You can use the grant to buy used Tesla from participating dealerships.

I've sent Tesla info requesting to participate but never heard back.

CVAP manager confirm via email (few months ago) that Tesla is not a participant to CVAP.View attachment 568739

That’s exactly what I was thinking! This incentive is listed under Tesla’s website, but yes, no Tesla stores are listed under participating dealerships.

I asked a Tesla advisor about the program and if I can use the grant if am approved for one. He said he will ask the finance team if it is applicable to my purchase and I haveN’t heard back since (this response was yesterday the 24th).

And now aznkorboi just said someone from CVAP emailed him saying they started a partnership with Tesla, so I guess there’s no clear answer yet on new Tesla vehicles?

• Informative
Reactions: RoBoRaT
I just got confirmation from a Tesla Advisor that they are not an approved “dealership” so you can’t use the grant towards a purchase of a new Tesla vehicle.

You would be able to use it towards a used Tesla from an approved dealership.

Oh well. Lol

Well, well, well..CVAP people confirmed via email Tesla is NOW approved as a "dealer" for the program.

See email response dated today, 27 July 2020.

20200727_174549.jpg

Attachments

• 20200727_174704.jpg
    20200727_174704.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 200
Reactions: sleepies
LOL. I feel like they dont know.

I just got this response from Priscilla:
I am sorry that you are getting mixed messages.

Yes, Tesla is not a dealership. Tesla's showrooms are essentially extensions and showrooms and not dealerships. When a person purchases a car from a showroom, they're technically buying from online.

Yes, the CVAP grant can be used to purchase a used Tesla from an approved dealership.