Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clean Vehicle Assistance Program and Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I emailed the CARB (Clean Air Resource Board) who funds the CVAP program, I asked about when new funding may be allocated to CVAP, they said it will not be until future legislature for the next fiscal year is voted on most likely in the summer. The current situation is exactly what CVAP stated, they have all their available funds tied up in already approved grant applications, so if you are number 275 on the reservation list, you have to wait for 275 approved grant holders to not use their funds during their 60 /125 days.

If people who have approved grants use their funds, that money does not get replenished.

I would love the grant, but I can't help thinking it won't be in the near future
Thanks so much. I was glad you got through to CARB, I couldn't. That is good info. I applied 1/20 and the representative at CVAP said that the last time they ran out of money, it took over 12 months. So I'm :( wouldn't you know they were just starting January when the funds were gone. I wish CVAP would tell you what number you are, they said they have no idea. I think it would be really reasonable for them to let us know so we can move on.

Weird I applied early March and got on the reservation list. Again I was being proactive and reached out to make sure my application was fully complete.
What does your email say about you being on the reservation list? I wouldn’t be so sure unless you got an email specifically stating you’re in, but good on you if you bypassed the queue somehow just by emailing them. I applied on 2/9 and emailed them the exact same thing, which they said I wasn’t missing anything. Not on reservation list and my application was closed.

What does your email say about you being on the reservation list? I wouldn’t be so sure unless you got an email specifically stating you’re in, but good on you if you bypassed the queue somehow just by emailing them. I applied on 2/9 and emailed them the exact same thing, which they said I wasn’t missing anything. Not on reservation list and my application was Your application is complete and on the reservation list. Currently because of the reservation list implemented on 3-17-2021 due to low available funds, we are not approving any applications until funds are made available to those accounts. This can occur either by the program receiving more funding
What does your email say about you being on the reservation list? I wouldn’t be so sure unless you got an email specifically stating you’re in, but good on you if you bypassed the queue somehow just by emailing them. I applied on 2/9 and emailed them the exact same thing, which they said I wasn’t missing anything. Not on reservation list and my application was closed.
Your application is complete and on the reservation list. Currently because of the reservation list implemented on 3-17-2021 due to low available funds, we are not approving any applications until funds are made available to those accounts. This can occur either by the program receiving more funding or funding not being used in other approvals and given to other accounts.

We do not have a timeline or data on this new process, and we are unable to see the place in line participants are in. We do not guarantee funds to anyone who does not have an approval packet. For more information please visit our website - Clean Vehicle Assistance Program. If you have more questions we will be happy to help.

Does anyone know if Tesla can apply the $5000 down grant prior to taking delivery? I have until May 2, and it looks like I may not see delivery prior to that as it's getting super close. And given the program is now accepting new applicants or a waitlist and doesn't have funding until 2022, I'd love to find a loophole to get that money applied to my Tesla order now. I have left messages with my SA all week and haven't heard back. So I'm wondering if anyone on this thread knows about this. Thanks!

Does anyone know if Tesla can apply the $5000 down grant prior to taking delivery? I have until May 2, and it looks like I may not see delivery prior to that as it's getting super close. And given the program is now accepting new applicants or a waitlist and doesn't have funding until 2022, I'd love to find a loophole to get that money applied to my Tesla order now. I have left messages with my SA all week and haven't heard back. So I'm wondering if anyone on this thread knows about this. Thanks!
If you have been approved for the cvap, you forward that approval to Tesla and they do apply the $5,000 as a down payment before delivery. But if you have not been approved for cvap, there's nothing you can do at the moment.

Reactions: whisperingshad
If you have been approved for the cvap, you forward that approval to Tesla and they do apply the $5,000 as a down payment before delivery. But if you have not been approved for cvap, there's nothing you can do at the moment.
Thanks, I have been approved, it's expiring May 2nd. But having trouble getting ahold of my SA to apply the grant to my MY order. But, now that I know it can be done prior to deliver I will get real aggressive with making sure it happens. No more phone calls or emails. I'm walking my butt in the store haha

Thanks, I have been approved, it's expiring May 2nd. But having trouble getting ahold of my SA to apply the grant to my MY order. But, now that I know it can be done prior to deliver I will get real aggressive with making sure it happens. No more phone calls or emails. I'm walking my butt in the store haha
Update on this. Tesla WILL NOT apply the grant before taking a delivery date. They told me they cannot generate an agreement until delivery date therefore they have nothing to submit to to CVAP. I pushed and pushed for them to just fill out the form and send in my paperwork, but they are refusing. Sooo, short version, looks like I won't get delivery before my CVAP grant expiration date so somebody else will reap my loss. Best of luck to everyone with this program. I hope to get the rebates at least.

Edit: I have been researching the manuals and FAQ;s, turns out CVAP asks the dealership for signed grant letter, purchase contract, but what holds up Tesla is vehicle inspection report and vehicle history report. Things you cannot get until after you've been assigned a VIN # CVAP dealership requirements

Last edited:
Update on this. Tesla WILL NOT apply the grant before taking a delivery date. They told me they cannot generate an agreement until delivery date therefore they have nothing to submit to to CVAP. I pushed and pushed for them to just fill out and send in my paperwork, but they are refusing. Sooo, short version, looks like I won't get delivery before my CVAP grant expiration date so somebody else will reap my loss. Best of luck to everyone with this program. I hope to get the rebates at least.
Are you able to find a car in existing inventory that matches your spec or close enough?

Reactions: whisperingshad
Update on this. Tesla WILL NOT apply the grant before taking a delivery date. They told me they cannot generate an agreement until delivery date therefore they have nothing to submit to to CVAP. I pushed and pushed for them to just fill out the form and send in my paperwork, but they are refusing. Sooo, short version, looks like I won't get delivery before my CVAP grant expiration date so somebody else will reap my loss. Best of luck to everyone with this program. I hope to get the rebates at least.
sorry to be the bearer of bad news but funds have been exhausted for the rebates so if you apply on 4/23 or after you just get put on a wait-list until they get more funding from the state...

From their website:
If you applied on April 22, 2021 or earlier:

Your rebate amount was reserved when you applied online. You will receive your rebate as long as you meet all requirements and submit correct supporting documents within the required time frame. We advise that you periodically check your status online to ensure you are aware of any further action needed to take your application to approval status. Note: If we find an issue with your application materials, we provide ten days to correct the issue before automatic cancellation.

If you applied for a standard or increased rebate on or after April 23, 2021:

You were placed on a rebate waitlist when you applied online. We will review your application materials and your application will be conditionally approved if you meet all requirements and submit correct supporting documents within the required time frame. Payment for conditionally approved applications on the rebate waitlist will depend on the project receiving more funding from the State of California and may depend on new Terms and Conditions and new CVRP Implementation Manual requirements.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news but funds have been exhausted for the rebates so if you apply on 4/23 or after you just get put on a wait-list until they get more funding from the state...

From their website:
If you applied on April 22, 2021 or earlier:

Your rebate amount was reserved when you applied online. You will receive your rebate as long as you meet all requirements and submit correct supporting documents within the required time frame. We advise that you periodically check your status online to ensure you are aware of any further action needed to take your application to approval status. Note: If we find an issue with your application materials, we provide ten days to correct the issue before automatic cancellation.

If you applied for a standard or increased rebate on or after April 23, 2021:

You were placed on a rebate waitlist when you applied online. We will review your application materials and your application will be conditionally approved if you meet all requirements and submit correct supporting documents within the required time frame. Payment for conditionally approved applications on the rebate waitlist will depend on the project receiving more funding from the State of California and may depend on new Terms and Conditions and new CVRP Implementation Manual requirements.
When you are approved for a CVAP grant, which I was, they hold $5000 for you. If you do not redeem it and your grant expires, then it goes back into the pool. So, I would be able to get $5000 applied to my Tesla order, except Tesla won't do this without a VIN # they said. I have tried multiple angles with them and even provided them the dealership requirements from CVAP implementation manual asking they just submit my grant letter and RN # as deliver is estimated end of June, but my grant expires May 2. I hope others get luckier than I did. It's quite a gamble with Tesla's order/deliver and 60 day grant application.