Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cleaning Model 3 has become a chore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought one of those washless spray cleaners, and clean my car biweekly with microfiber cloths. However in order to get the car in spotless condition it takes me around 45min (not 15min like some have said).

I tempted to "throw in the towel" and just take it to a carwash knowing that it might impact my midnight silver paint.

What has you guys' experience been cleaning your model 3 routinely. Any recommendations?

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA and Dre78
I bought one of those washless spray cleaners, and clean my car biweekly with microfiber cloths. However in order to get the car in spotless condition it takes me around 45min (not 15min like some have said).

I tempted to "throw in the towel" and just take it to a carwash knowing that it might impact my midnight silver paint.

What has you guys' experience been cleaning your model 3 routinely. Any recommendations?
I don't know what you have done to the vehicle, but that being said I would never take it to a carwash. With everything that I read about Tesla paint I can't help but think that those rotating brushes are going to eat your paint. I would invest a little and get the car ceramic coated. Its some initial cost upfront that will make cleaning a heck of a lot easier. I had a BMW 135 coated and the 4 years that I had the car it always looked pristine. Washing was sometimes as easy as leaving it out in the rain.

Reactions: Dre78 and jkoya
If you wash that often, you might could rig up a setup with a pressure washer and DI water. I used to do the waterless thing, but yes, too much work.

Bought a pressure washer (electric) some quality soap, a foam lance, and the key: a DI water system (Simple Chuck) I no longer have to touch my car with a towel to dry at all. I just pull it into the garage and let it air dry. I do use a mitt during the soap to touch up stubborn bug guts and bird poo, but if you are washing bi-weekly, you can probably do it touch free most times.

Doing it as often as you do, you could leave the pressure washer and DI system hooked up to a faucet and ready to go (setup and takedown is my longest step right now. Actual car washing takes just 15 minutes).

Just got mine ceramic coated and a little rinseless wash. It’s not gonna stop the rocks (I have a few chips already) but it hates water!

Attachments

• 2BCBAC61-6408-406A-8ADB-90F25040AD7C.jpeg
    2BCBAC61-6408-406A-8ADB-90F25040AD7C.jpeg
    371.1 KB · Views: 131
I don't know what you have done to the vehicle, but that being said I would never take it to a carwash. With everything that I read about Tesla paint I can't help but think that those rotating brushes are going to eat your paint. I would invest a little and get the car ceramic coated. Its some initial cost upfront that will make cleaning a heck of a lot easier. I had a BMW 135 coated and the 4 years that I had the car it always looked pristine. Washing was sometimes as easy as leaving it out in the rain.

model 3 and Model S paint?

Ceramic coating, even the DIY versions will make a big difference. I had my 3 professionally coated but did a cheaper DIY version on my truck that takes about 20 minutes to apply every 3 months. The professional one is a bit better but the DIY version is much, much easier to clean than plain paint.

Most times the rain will wash off bigs and stuff.

Does anyone take their Model 3 through a touchless carwash?
Yes, and it does a fair job. I use it after travel and in winter months. If a decent hand wash is a 10, touchless is a 6 at best. My car is ceramic coated but road grime after a 1500 mile trip needs a hand wash. I do the 2 bucket foam gun method. 45 minutes including set-up. (My last road grime was genuine Wisconsin/Illinois grit!)

I have coated my car with HydroSilex Recharge but when you're driving on the freeway you still get a ton of bugs hitting the car. So in order to get it spotless you need to spend time spraying the body and windows and taking it off with microfiber cloths, which can take up to 45min for the entire vehicle.

I took my Lexus to the carwash biweekly and don't remember having issues with the paint. Why is the M3 paint so sensitive? Kind of annoying.

I hate Teslas paint! My car was double compounded, completely swirl mark free. I washed it once, with clean all brand new equipment (new towels, new bucket, new mitt, all micro fiber). I did everything to prevent swirl marks after the compounding and BAM! There they are before the second wash. Terrible!

Not to mention it was a PITA to wash at a spray washers with filling a bucket up for the hand washing since I don't have cash wash facilities where I live.

Idk if I should just accept that Tesla paint is soft as lacquer, pay for ceramic coat (I may trade it in 4-5 years when Tesla has a new battery hotness going on), or wrap it (not a fan of the red paint color I have either. Would not have bought red if I saw it in person first. It is not model S signature red.)