Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cleaning MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
what equipment do you guys recommend for cleaning the car? Pressure washer and what type of liquid? Please let me know.

I'm sure you see all those pro stuff they use (pressure foam, 2 bucket, etc).

Here's another pro tip for equipment: Screenshot_20200621-062036_Samsung Internet.jpg

I use it with microfiber cloth (bulk cheap from Costco, instead of the swiffer pad) to clean the glass roof including the windshield.

A little spray of water, wipe clean with this MF cloth - clean glass in minutes by vertically-challenged MY owner like me. ;)

Screenshot_20200621-062036_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
Haha. Like other had said, you wash a Tesla the same way you would wash other cars, you know because it's a car. Haha. I would search YouTube for car washing tutorial videos. Search for 2 buckets method and foam cannon.
I personally has a pressure washer and a foam cannon, then finish up using 2 buckets methods. Don't overpay for a foam cannon. Anything under $20 will be good enough.

Reactions: KenYoung1
The paint on your car will have had plenty of time to cure from the factory. If you've just had body work that required repainting of some of the panels, the paint will require some amount of time to cure.

Keith

Just curious, I had always used a brushless but not touchless car wash with my Model S and never had any problems. But the S was a 2015 and didn't have all the sensors and cameras that the Y has. The owner's manual says:

CAUTION: If washing in an automatic car wash, use touchless car washes only. These car washes have no parts (brushes, etc.) that touch the surfaces of Model Y. Using any other type of car wash could cause damage that is not covered by the warranty.

I have also heard that the chemicals used in touchless car washes can be damaging to the paint. Any opinions out there?

I used a touchless that I used for years at the Shell station when I used to have to frequent those places. I only used it once because I had alot of bugs and my car is full Xpel wrap so what could go wrong. Well I now I have spots only on the black window trim. Can't see it unless you get close but it's there and it annoys me. I am going to mention it to Service and see what they say. Anybody know of a special way to clean that.

Reactions: kevin1
I used a touchless that I used for years at the Shell station when I used to have to frequent those places. I only used it once because I had alot of bugs and my car is full Xpel wrap so what could go wrong. Well I now I have spots only on the black window trim. Can't see it unless you get close but it's there and it annoys me. I am going to mention it to Service and see what they say. Anybody know of a special way to clean that.
i read degreasers can remove those spots. maybe test in a small area first

I used to have this cleaning routine when I drove a Lexus - basically still a 2 bucket method. I’ll probably keep some generic cleaner bottle in the car with detailing cloths for droppings and insects.

Now - if I can get around to changing the carb on my power washer :)

I used to have this cleaning routine when I drove a Lexus - basically still a 2 bucket method. I’ll probably keep some generic cleaner bottle in the car with detailing cloths for droppings and insects.

Now - if I can get around to changing the carb on my power washer :)
After going through a number of gas power washers I got an electric one. Will never go back ;)

Reactions: IdaBish and Rcmpnc
what equipment do you guys recommend for cleaning the car? Pressure washer and what type of liquid? Please let me know.
I use Tri-Nova shampoo & conditioner which you can get on Amazon, get the gallon with the canon. I also use the Tri-Nova canon with it. It comes out very clean and shiny without any residue that you have to wipe down after.

The pressure washer came from Harbor Freight and that will run you $75.00 after all of the discounts, it’s normally $179.00 It’s green in color. (Electric)

TriNova Foam Cannon and Gallon Car Wash Soap Kit Best Set for Detailing Trucks or SUVs (Foam Gun Only) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072JNQQY9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_7E5.EbF0WF9CM

The best drying towels I’ve used that work are the Chemical guys waffle towels, these pick up the water right quick so make sure you get 3 or 4 for fast drying.

1.Rinse off the dirt and dust first

2. Foam it good and let it sit for 1 to 2 minutes

3. Use a micro fiber wash glove for a quick once over before rinsing off the foam, these gloves you can pick up at a Auto Parts store like Autozone.

4. Dry it quickly from the very top with the first waffle towel, it will soak up the water on top fast then sides, hood and back with the 2nd waffle towel, do not squeeze the water out of the first waffle towel, just use a new one to continue.

Chemical Guys MIC_781_01 Waffle Weave Gray Matter 70/30 Blend Microfiber Drying Towel with Silk Edging (25 in. x 36 in.) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BQYCIVI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_UP5.EbZSYQTJ5

Note: you will need this pressure washer hose to connect the Foam canon and gun:

Twinkle Star 3000 PSI 25 FT High Pressure Washer Hose for Karcher, Generac, Champion&Simpson Others https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TCHKH58/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_HY5.Eb67HVKKF

The Gun with various spray pattern nozzles:
Twinkle Star 3000 PSI High Pressure Power Washer Gun with 21 Inch Replacement Wand, Power Washer Gun with M22-15 or M22-14 Fitting, 5 Nozzles Tips, TWS139 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BPZRCKY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_dX5.EbMPDK7FG

Been using the method for over a year on my model 3 and now my model Y for excellent and fast results. My model 3 still looks new.

Fred

Last edited:
Reactions: IdaBish