Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clearance under front valance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys
It's my first post so I hope I don't do anything wrong!
I have a M3LR with 19" wheels being delivered on 23 March and as it will be a tighter fit in my garage I intend to buy a pair of rubber stops so that I know where to stop. My question is what is the clearance under the front "valance" (if that's the correct term)? The rubber blocks are 100cm high and I want to be sure that they won't foul on the valance.

Thanks for reading and hoping that someone can measure for me.
91+NKJyYhcL._SL1500_.jpg

I either hit my head on the tennis ball all the time when I’m trying to work or trip over the stops lmao.
I agree with both points.

Here's my variant of the "hanging tennis ball" solution:

parking_stop.jpg

A shortened pool noodle on a plumbing plunger. The noodle had been split down the side (for a different previous purpose), so electrical tape holds it on the plunger handle and also makes it easier to see and judge distance.

When the lower red line goes below my line of sight, I know I'm pretty close. I park with a few inches of clearance from the wall, so as long as I don't get to the point of the noodle actually falling over, I'm safe. When the license plate tilts the noodle forward, I then back up until the plate is barely touching or just clear. That leaves about 2 or 3 inches from the rear bumper to the garage door. (It's nice how slowly and easily the Tesla can creep forward and back :))

It's easy to move it out of the way when I'm working and the taped lines on the floor indicate where to place it back.

Upvote 0
Why analog solutions when you have radar that shows on your screen how far away from an object your car is?
In my case, the wall section I'm trying to avoid is angled at the right front corner of the car. Depending on how close I pull in to the right side, the ultrasonic sensors vary enough that I can't accurately get the back within 2 or 3 inches of the garage door.

Reactions: Cobalt3
Upvote 0
A further complication. Be careful about leaving just 2 or 3 inches behind the car to the garage door. At least with our model S if you were to open the trunk while the garage door is closed and that close the trunk lid would hit the garage door as it opened. I missed by a smidgen or less one day. Very lucky as both the car and the garage door were brand new.

Upvote 0
Maybe getting off topic but...
if you were to open the trunk while the garage door is closed and that close the trunk lid would hit the garage door as it opened.
I thought about that (but thanks for the warning).

I bought a sheet of Styrofoam® wall insulation. I cut it to size and attached it with cable ties to the inside frame of the door. I've tried stalling the trunk lid with my hand and I think the force is low enough that the lid would stop against the foam without damage to the lid. If the lid is forced to stall, it detects it and stops automatically. It doesn't keep trying to open.

My garage door is a single piece solid one, so I sized and positioned the foam so that the trunk lid will contact it with the garage door closed, or open at any angle that would interfere. (With the garage door fully open, it's high enough that the trunk lid can fully open with plenty of clearance.) For a sectional garage door you could probably put separate pieces of foam on each section that might interfere.

trunk_guard.jpg

That said, I'm pretty careful not to open the trunk from the app when the car is in the garage and since there's no other entrance to the garage, I'm unlikely to open the trunk from the car with the garage door closed. (I haven't done either yet.)

Reactions: glospete
Upvote 0
With all these problems in the garage (and solutions) perhaps I should just leave the car on the driveway outside 🤔
Seriously though I appreciate the ideas and when my car arrives on the 28th I’ll see the best way to prevent it hitting the other items in my garage.

Upvote 0