Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clearance measurements: 3/4 inch Trimmed Tesla OEM mud flaps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Writing with my experience installing Tesla’s OEM front mud flaps on my 2022 MS LR

Kit comes with two mud flaps and four push pins. Instructions online. Total install time: under 10 minutes.

The only thing I’ll add to the instruction is for total newbies to dealing with these push pins: they have an outer sheath cap and an inner plunger cap. If you are using a small flathead screwdriver, place its end in the notch of the inner plunger cap and twist to pop out the inner plunger. The pin will then be loose and easily pulled out with your fingers. Otherwise you will experience more difficulty if you just they to pry out the whole thing without popping out the inner plunger.

You can use non-dull household scissors to trim the soft rubber bottom of the flaps. I trimmed 3/4 inches from both flaps, and very gently rounded the edges.

🔹3/4 inches trimmed from OEM Tesla mud flaps
🔹Clearance measured from pavement to bottom of mud flap
🔹OEM all-season tires, 19 inch wheels, 41 psi

Suspension setting and clearance:
Low: 1 7/8” clearance
Medium: 2 3/8” clearance
High: 3 1/8” clearance
Very high: 3 3/8” clearance

Hopefully the 3/4 inch trimming will mean little scraping. The soft rubber of the blade of the tire flap should provide adequate flexibility if it does scrape.

I installed a set without trimming them. Will wait to see if they scrape. So far no issues even though I live on a road with washboard, gravel, dirt, etc. One thing I noticed when I installed them was a massive amount of pea gravel in the rocker arm. When I removed the lower rivet, there is a flap that drops down (held up by pop-rivet). When that drops, all sorts of dirt and gravel dropped out. I expect that the configuration of the mud flap will significantly reduce the amount of junk that goes into that area! Will not be able to see how effective they are until it rains.

Didnt trim mine (2022 LR) and I have evidence of very minor scraping on the drivers side mudflap after about 400 miles. I have aftermarket 21's that stick out a bit more so Im gonna be more susceptible to rocks flying back/up. Figured trimming would result in less protection against rocks flying up/back. And since the rubber is flexible on the mudflaps, a bit of scraping wont cause major issues at all

Reactions: rducharme
Writing with my experience installing Tesla’s OEM front mud flaps on my 2022 MS LR

Kit comes with two mud flaps and four push pins. Instructions online. Total install time: under 10 minutes.

The only thing I’ll add to the instruction is for total newbies to dealing with these push pins: they have an outer sheath cap and an inner plunger cap. If you are using a small flathead screwdriver, place its end in the notch of the inner plunger cap and twist to pop out the inner plunger. The pin will then be loose and easily pulled out with your fingers. Otherwise you will experience more difficulty if you just they to pry out the whole thing without popping out the inner plunger.

You can use non-dull household scissors to trim the soft rubber bottom of the flaps. I trimmed 3/4 inches from both flaps, and very gently rounded the edges.

🔹3/4 inches trimmed from OEM Tesla mud flaps
🔹Clearance measured from pavement to bottom of mud flap
🔹OEM all-season tires, 19 inch wheels, 41 psi

Suspension setting and clearance:
Low: 1 7/8” clearance
Medium: 2 3/8” clearance
High: 3 1/8” clearance
Very high: 3 3/8” clearance

Hopefully the 3/4 inch trimming will mean little scraping. The soft rubber of the blade of the tire flap should provide adequate flexibility if it does scrape.
Thank you for this. I know there is another thread on this topic but this is nice and succinct info.