Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clicking sound from resting car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Gwgan

Almost a wagon
Aug 11, 2013
Maine
Heard repeatedly from outside the parked car and seems to be coming from the right front near the headlamp. Two clicks repeated once for a run of four clicks. Set repeats every one minute and 5 seconds. Sounds like a switch open-close/open-close or some such. Car is plugged in but not charging. I do not hear it when the car is on (screen on, door open). It did occur when just the frunk was open.

Dropbox - Clicking.m4a

Those are the relays kicking in to connect the HV pack to the car to prepare for it to be used. It's sensing your key and starting systems up, if you have your mirrors set to auto-fold on lock they will also fold out right after that clicking, etc. Basically, the car is waking up and saying hi!

Those are the relays kicking in to connect the HV pack to the car to prepare for it to be used. It's sensing your key and starting systems up, if you have your mirrors set to auto-fold on lock they will also fold out right after that clicking, etc. Basically, the car is waking up and saying hi!
The sound may be the relays but then they are closing/opening for some still-unknown reason. Keys can be far away when this happens and the car is otherwise still, silent, and dark. I spent some time working in the garage today and did notice the sound while the car was charging. Service wants to take a look at the car but that won't happen for another week.

Update: no update. Two months, 5000 miles, at least 5 firmware updates, and the clicking is still there. Service confirmed it is the air compressor valve assembly clicking every 90 seconds or so. Service and engineering suspect that will be fixed by a firmware update. Since this is not someting I’ve heard posted about on other cars, and there have been software updates, I’m not so hopeful. Monitoring.

I brought this up in this thread:

Relay clicking sound from frunk when car turned off

Not only does the relay click, if you have the car in a dark garage you can see that the tail lights will flicker for a split second too. This has nothing to do with sensing the key as I placed both keys in a Faraday bag in the house about 40 feet away and it still does it. I hope they fix this in a firmware update soon.

With the latest software update, the one adding key fob control for opening driver's door, the clicking has changed. Now it is a single pair of a quick click-clack, not the double paired click like before. Progress.