Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate - Auto or Manual

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having it turned off or as close as possible to ambient temperature will always be the two most economical settings. Personally I'd rather be as comfortable as possible than try to eek out a few more miles from a charge. Each to their own :)

If you find auto doesn't work well for you, try some other settings until it's better. HVAC in a car is always subjective and personal preference. It's generally better to point the air vents away from blowing directly at you in my experience. Maybe try that as a starter.

Manual. Auto is the crappiest I've ever seen in a car. Always to powerful.

So are the auto headlights which is basically on all the time.

Auto wipers are odd too. If it's raining a lot they don't come on. If it's hardly raining they might come on but really fast. But most bizarre is putting the car in reverse and they go crazy and I think they're gonna scrape a hole in the wind screen.

Basically with Tesla anything auto is crap.

I spend far too much time preoccupied with fiddling with the wipers and climate control which takes away from the enjoyment of driving sometimes.

Manual. Auto is the crappiest I've ever seen in a car. Always to powerful.

So are the auto headlights which is basically on all the time.

Auto wipers are odd too. If it's raining a lot they don't come on. If it's hardly raining they might come on but really fast. But most bizarre is putting the car in reverse and they go crazy and I think they're gonna scrape a hole in the wind screen.

Basically with Tesla anything auto is crap.

I spend far too much time preoccupied with fiddling with the wipers and climate control which takes away from the enjoyment of driving sometimes.
As much as it pains me to say this, you’re pretty much spot on here

auto also seems to turn the AC off when it feels like it - I’ve had my windows mist up a little and checked the AC and it was off. I had to use manual to get the AC part to stay on for dehumidifying..

as far as I remember, the AC button has always been separate from the auto/manual control - or I’ve just forgotten.

Reactions: roadcred
Auto 20, except when I need to enable AC because of misted windows. The car is meant to work it out intelligently using a humidity sensor but can sometimes get it wrong.

No, its 2021 onwards that have the heat pump.
Well you say that but its what is referred to as the 2021 car but all M3 built after the start of October 2020 had heat pumps I believe so most if not all cars delivered in the UK after the start of November 2020 would probably have had them. given teslas Delivery model that that probably means 25% of 2020 UK cars had a heat pump.
No idea how you tell if yours has one though without removing the frunk. I am sure there must be an easier way.

Op had his car July 2020 so no chance he has one though