Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change Denial

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is more about Texas helping the NE!
They want our solar and wind, so we (Texans) can pay more for power!

Well, not necessarily, TX bypasses federal pollution rules so cost would not go up... it will probably go down as unit production goes up normally result in lower average cost. LOL

I would prefer TX connect to the western grid... imagine renewable powerhouses in CA and TX teaming up, the fossil fuel lackeys in the other western states (I am thinking AZ) will have to adapt or die. Arizonans are actually in a perfect spot to enjoy the most renewable power - renewable power from TX and CA!

IMG_6985.jpeg
Texas dose well with renewable energy.

• Love
Reactions: eevee-fan

"Texas is unique in largely having its own power grid with limited connections to the other large U.S. systems. That leaves the state with little ability to import power in times of scarcity on the grid. During the 2021 freeze, each additional gigawatt of transmission ties between ERCOT and the Southeastern U.S. could’ve saved nearly $1 billion while keeping the heat on for hundreds of thousands for Texans, according to a 2021 study by Grid Strategies, a consulting firm.
Vegas, for his part, seemed skeptical. Building more DC ties, already costly on its own, would also require building significant additional transmission infrastructure, he said. By opening up the ERCOT electricity market to other states, Texans could benefit when the price of electricity imports is low, but prices within ERCOT might rise when the price of imports is high, he said. "

... see, it's really that "we don't like competition from out of state"... We lost a few lives in 2021 but oh well.

It isn't really a matter of serious debate. More interconnections lead to greater reliability and better use of renewables.
Does that mean it is perfect? Of course not.

Read the quotes from Vegas - they are intellectually dishonest. Of course severe weather events don't obey state lines but that doesn't mean they are universal and interconnects don't help.

Having an interconnected system does not mean there is never a problem. Rolling blackouts is not the same as people dying from extended blackouts. Designing a system to never have a rolling blackout probably means overkill. But you should design a system to never have people die from lack of power. That would be the appropriate line to draw I would think. And I could probably get 90% of people whose job or profitability aren't hanging in the balance to agree with that. Sure - many would want 100% reliability in all situations. But that is impossible of course and given the costs, most people would accept a rolling blackout once a decade for a few hours I suspect.

I live in NC Duke power area. I have never had a rolling blackout despite the problems with Elliot in late 2022. My heat pump couldn't quite keep up, which again - I don't have a problem with. You are supposed to have extreme events that your heat pump can't quite keep up with. Same idea. That isn't the same as the house being 30 degrees - just that it was 65 or so and my stat is told to avoid aux heat within 3 degrees of setpoint but I could have turned it on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Earl
East coast grid was having rolling blackouts (3 of the six regulatory agencies on the east coast grid) at the same time during Uri. East cost grid couldn’t even help its self!

Can always count on the useful idiots.

Definitely better to have the power go out instead of rolling blackouts. Go big or go home, sounds very Texas. Definitely useful idiots. There's an old saying, "give me freedumb or give me death", looks like TX got both. LOL When the spot price of energy is $1000/kWh and TX energy producers were incentivized to shut off production, I highly doubt TX would have a lack of volunteers in other states rushing to sell energy to TX.

Again, I would prefer TX connect to the western grid. Together, we have a lot of open areas for a lot of renewables that would span 3 hours... like "it's always 5pm somewhere", this is "it's noon for a long time here". :)

Last edited:
That is so horrible. Please fix things, so that we freeze to death during winter.
This matter is serious. Please study the science of GHE.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanCar