Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change Denial

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It lowers the dewpoint temperature, resulting in less clouds, thus more sunlight coming in to the earth's surface. Then the earth warms again.
Don’t clouds also retain heat from the ground so less clouds means colder nights?

Why is it colder on a clear night? You keep saying convection removes heat so the lack of sun must drive convection otherwise it would be due to radiative transfer which means you would be wrong….

You think CO2 is the thermostat of the earth. It isn't. It is a component. But not the whole thermostat.
No, I think we all say it is a component. Just that the other components are in balance or not so important on the timescales that we look at. On larger and smaller timescales, they are also relevant (especially on larger ones).

Have you never been to Seattle? That's not how weather works.
It is perpetually cool in Seattle because of the excessive cloud cover and the cold equatorward moving ocean currents along the West Coast. It gets warm when a high pressure system builds over the Pac NW, giving you a temporary break from the cloud cover. I am sure Seattle also gets down sloping (adiabatic) winds to warm and clear their skies at times.

• Disagree
Reactions: eevee-fan
It is perpetually cool in Seattle because of the excessive cloud cover and the cold equatorward moving ocean currents along the West Coast. It gets warm when a high pressure system builds over the Pac NW, giving you a temporary break from the cloud cover. I am sure Seattle also gets down sloping (adiabatic) winds to warm and clear their skies at times.

And none of which has much to do with average global temperatures. There's no evidence of a magic balancing act clouds do to keep temperatures in check. If that were true the Earth wouldn't experience glacial periods every ~100,000 years.

Well now, that is yet another parameter thrown into the climate mix - orbital variations.

Yep.... and what drives a 10C change in temperature? Which variable changes sufficiently to drive that much of a temperature swing? The orbital variation is the trigger but the change in solar insolation is a rounding error... orders of magnitude too small for a 10C swing. Think you can tell me which non-condensible GHG changes in concentration?

And now that your cloud hypothesis has been shot to hell by history... wanna try that again? What happens to the amount of water vapor in the atmosphere when temperature drops?

Last edited:
Reactions: eevee-fan

UK and the Pacific NW would be much colder if not for warm air pushed from the equator. Or did you not know that the NW is warmer than the NE. I guess you only know the climate in Houston. LOL

Here, this should help.

Last edited:
Reactions: nwdiver
Yep.... and what drives a 10C change in temperature? Which variable changes sufficiently to drive that much of a temperature swing? The orbital variation is the trigger but the change in solar insolation is a rounding error... orders of magnitude too small for a 10C swing. Think you can tell me which non-condensible GHG changes in concentration?

And now that your cloud hypothesis has been shot to hell by history... wanna try that again? What happens to the amount of water vapor in the atmosphere when temperature drops?
How did you shoot clouds to hell? That was utter nonsense.

UK and the Pacific NW would be much colder if not for warm air pushed from the equator. Or did you not know that the NW is warmer than the NE. I guess you only know the climate in Houston. LOL

Here, this should help.
The Northeastern US is colder in the winter than the Northwestern US because mid-latitude weather systems move from west to east. Frontal systems bring Continental Polar air across the Northeast, which is substantially colder than the Maritime Polar air frontal system bring to the Pac Northwest.

How did you shoot clouds to hell? That was utter nonsense.

..... if clouds magically balanced climate then how would the Earth have glacial periods?

The orbital variation is the trigger but the change in solar insolation is a rounding error... orders of magnitude too small for a 10C swing. Think you can tell me which non-condensible GHG changes in concentration?

Don’t clouds also retain heat from the ground so less clouds means colder nights?

Why is it colder on a clear night? You keep saying convection removes heat so the lack of sun must drive convection otherwise it would be due to radiative transfer which means you would be wrong….
You have your head fixed on land. You are forgetting most of the earth's surface is ocean. There is not a one to one correspondence between short-wave radiation coming into the ocean vs. long-wave radiation going out. Less clouds warms the oceans, which in turn warms the earth.