Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me decide on my next tires! (Michelin Cross Climate, Sport Pilot AS, Continental ExtremeContact DWS)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to give you guys a small update - my CC2 now has about 35k miles of use, about 70% of that are on highways.

I still have about 50% treadwear remaining.

I don't baby my tires. I do accelerate hard when needed, but not an aggressive driver by nature. And of course, since FSD is on 90+% of the time, it does unnecessarily hard acceleration and braking which I'm sure didn't help.
How would you compare the noise level of the CC2 to the OEM tires?

Reactions: JohnB007

that's pretty much what we did to calculate the tire diameter

from the article you linked:
The forward slash separates the tire width number from the two-digit aspect ratio. The bigger the aspect ratio, the higher/taller the tire’s sidewall, or “profile” as it’s sometimes called.

The aspect ratio is indicated on the tire sidewall as a percentage. It’s the height of the sidewall measured from wheel rim to top of the tread, expressed as a percentage of tire width.

In this example, the aspect ratio is 65, meaning the sidewall is 65 percent as high as the tire is wide. To get the sidewall height, take the tire width of 215 mm and convert it to inches (8.46). Then multiply this by 65% (.65). This gives you an answer of 5.5, the sidewall height in inches.

hence,
a 255/40R20 = (((255mm X .4) / 25.4mm/in) X 2 sidewalls) + 20" wheel = 28 inches diameter

a 275/40R20 = (((275mm X .4) / 25.4mm/in) X 2 sidewalls) + 20" wheel = 28.7 inches diameter

if i'm wrong, please show me your math.

i'll do you one better, plug it into a tire calculator

tire calc.png

Last edited:
Reactions: fsb1
How would you compare the noise level of the CC2 to the OEM tires?
To me, the difference is not big enough to be a factor when making this decision.

Whenever I swapped from OEM to CC2 and vice versa, I felt it became quieter and rides smoother. That tells you that at least to me, whichever tire with more treads have better feel. My OEMs are also around 45-50% left, so I'll find out again next time I switch, but I'm pretty sure I'll experience something similar again.

There are small differences between two tires but you get used to it very quickly.

Reactions: Skavatar
that's pretty much what we did to calculate the tire diameter

if i'm wrong, please show me your math.

i'll do you one better, plug it into a tire calculator
LOL, the tire calculator is a great tool. I rely on it often, leaving zero room for error. As a matter of fact, I believe I posted it in a few threads for others to access. Additionally, I do relent as we were probably both correct explaining in a different manner.

Last edited:
just put the cross climate2 on my model Y a week ago. I can definitely tell the difference between the OEM Continental. The car just rides and handles better in the turns for some reason. I have not tried them in the snow yet but we will see what happens this winter. I would expect they will preform fine. They are way better in the rain though. efficiency wise they are ok but only time will tell as I have less then 1000 miles on them

just put the cross climate2 on my model Y a week ago. I can definitely tell the difference between the OEM Continental. The car just rides and handles better in the turns for some reason. I have not tried them in the snow yet but we will see what happens this winter. I would expect they will preform fine. They are way better in the rain though. efficiency wise they are ok but only time will tell as I have less then 1000 miles on them
Pretty much mirrors my experience when I first purchased them.

I went through two winters on them now. Also went through 4 winters on BMW X3. They are better on slippery roads than 4-seasons. But I know it's not X-Ice, so I drive a bit more carefully. Never had a panic situation due to lack of grip.

Efficiency-wise, I do lose a bit, around 5% or so.