Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
invent a non existent problem as a ruse to tax its citizens more. Have you seen the air quality in Canada. http://www.environment.alberta.ca/apps/aqhi/aqhi.aspx

I didn't know Canada existed only in Alberta. And yes, I've seen (and regularly breathe) the air quality in Canada...

img_7095.jpg

The view from the Cheam peak back to Vancouver. As regularly happens in summer, the air quality becomes hazy because of air pollution drifting from inland. The Fraser valley is notorious for collecting all the pollution of the lower mainland like a funnel. This is just normal summer pollution.

But,hey, we can all move to Alberta!

Oh what a strange world we humans have created. The all-mighty dollar, and not us, determines our fate. Everything we do is based on short term results. We are one myopic species. And it's not going to change any time soon. My grandfather told me many years ago he was glad he was leaving this world, rather than coming into it. That's becoming even more true as each day passes.
Wise words, Sir. "Greed is Good" applies only until the planet boils over. Common sense eludes us now...not sure how to get it back.

Annual_greenhouse.jpg

The best way to combat Climate Change seems to be Solar + Gird storage (color blue in graph). And the second best is in the orange part, AFOLU = The Agriculture, Forestry and Other Land Use. Main reason for deforestation is Agriculture. All direct emissions of AFOLU are from livestock and 70% to 80% of the crop is fodder.

So best way to reduce your carbon footprint: don't eat beef!

Some reason non of the environmental organization are advertising this ;)

(You not gonna take MYh BURGERS!!!11!"!"2"½!!)

No/... We are the problem here! There are way too many of us on this earth. We are the parasite! If you want to do something for the environment don't have too many kids. Population control should be mandatory.

Any chance you read the link I posted above with regard to population? I'd enjoy your thoughts on that data, as it relates to your post above.

YEAH.... you drank the cool-aid I see.. The earth isn't warming up on average! Do your research! Combat climate change by having less people in the world. HAHAH.. The big solar plant in Spain just went broke.

All the climate change that is being done in Canada won't make any change at all. Furthermore, all the new taxes introduced are being sent to a climate change panel for other countries. Harper had it right. It has nothing to do with climate , rather its a way to introduce new taxes. Don't blame me I voted conservative.

YEAH.... you drank the cool-aid I see.. The earth isn't warming up on average! Do your research! Combat climate change by having less people in the world. HAHAH.. The big solar plant in Spain just went broke.

Umm... so you didn't read it. None of this has anything to do with the piece. That's fine, but it would be more straightforward just to say you didn't go through the data because you're not into that sort of thing. Or whatever reason. But to say you've looked at it, then make conclusions that have absolutely nothing to do with the data.. it's just confusing and very odd.

Even Elon seems to have not done the proper analysis on the "overpopulation issue" judging by some public comments he's made to that effect.

You really need only spend 30-60 minutes reading up on the empirical evidence showing the population explosion has already happened and global population will level out at 10 to max 11 billion people. Poverty is disappearing very fast (thankfully) and with it the birth rates of poverty. Families in most countries in Africa, Asia and South America have already assumed the birth rates of "the developed world".

The reason we humans are such a problem for this planet is not the number of us, but our greed as short sightedness.

Last edited:
Abengoa is not just a solar company, and to label it as such is purposefully misleading:

Abengoa S.A. (Spanish pronunciation: [aβeŋˈɡoa]) is a Spanish multinational corporation, which includes companies in the domains of energy, telecommunications, transportation, and the environment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abengoa

Since Abengoa was founded, the company had built power transmission lines, biofuel plants and desalination infrastructure for clients. During Spain’s boom years, though, it began to construct such projects for itself, fueled by cheaper bank loans and a desire to expand.

The company took on piles of debt in anticipation of a growth rate that never materialized.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/spains-abengoa-files-for-creditor-protection-1448457865

You really need only spend 30-60 minutes reading up on the empirical evidence showing the population explosion has already happened and global population will level out at 10 to max 11 billion people. Poverty is disappearing very fast (thankfully) and with it the birth rates of poverty. Families in most countries in Africa, Asia and South America have already assumed the birth rates of "the developed world".

The reason we humans are such a problem for this planet is not the number of us, but our greed as short sightedness.

Thanks - this was the point of the piece I posted. The population growth rate peaked in 1964. Hans Rosling has quite a few talks that drive this point home as well. It's easy to view the downsides of the population but with a higher populace comes more innovation, solutions, and advancement. There is certainly a trade-off with regard to environmental and societal impacts, but to just categorize our problem as a population one is a gross oversimplification.

Thanks - this was the point of the piece I posted. The population growth rate peaked in 1964. Hans Rosling has quite a few talks that drive this point home as well. It's easy to view the downsides of the population but with a higher populace comes more innovation, solutions, and advancement. There is certainly a trade-off with regard to environmental and societal impacts, but to just categorize our problem as a population one is a gross oversimplification.

Exactly; IMO worrying about overpopulation over AGW at this point is like a doctor focusing on a lump he just found on the thyroid of a gunshot victim, you got more pressing issues doc, call the oncologist after the bleeding stops...

Although... if we don't solve the fossil fuel addiction problem... it's likely to solve the population issue for us.

Exactly; IMO worrying about overpopulation over AGW at this point is like a doctor focusing on a lump he just found on the thyroid of a gunshot victim, you got more pressing issues doc, call the oncologist after the bleeding stops...

Although... if we don't solve the fossil fuel addiction problem... it's likely to solve the population issue for us.

If we never had fossil fuels what do you think the population would be today?

No one is arguing that we didn't need fossil fuels 100 years ago... that doesn't mean that they aren't causing far more harm than good today.

It seems to me that there is some value in having a stated "highest and best use" for fossil fuels in the current era. Some classifications would be straightforward, especially when there are alternatives to fossil fuels. Using fossil fuels to quicken the construction and distribution of things like PV panels, turbines, battery storage, etc., seems to be the most obvious solid case. Arguments could be made for "necessary" air travel, space transport, etc. as well.

Unearthing Americas Deep Network of Climate Change Deniers - Bloomberg Business

A loose network of 4,556 individuals with overlapping ties to 164 organizations do the most to dispute climate change in the U.S., according to a paper published today in Nature Climate Change. ExxonMobil and the family foundations controlled by Charles and David Koch emerge as the most significant sources of funding for these skeptics.

He examined Internal Revenue Service data showing which groups in the network of climate contrarians accepted funding from ExxonMobil or Koch foundations between 1993 and 2013. Recipients from those two sources tend to occupy central nodes in what he calls a "contrarian network."