Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The other one offers very little proof and very little concrete data in regards to extreme weather.

Very well, then perhaps we should look past the article and go straight to the scientific papers themselves:

http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/cas/adai/papers/Dai-drought_WIRES2010.pdf

Projected Atlantic hurricane surge threat from rising temperatures

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v470/n7334/full/nature09763.html

Drought under global warming: a review - Dai - 2010 - Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Climate Change - Wiley Online Library

An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

http://www.nature.com/nclimate/journal/v2/n7/full/nclimate1452.html

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v470/n7334/full/nature09762.html

Keep in mind, this is only a small portion of the research that's been done. I respect that you have a strong level of skepticism and perhaps reading straight from the people who actually work on these problems for a living is the best answer.

Research on the link between conspiratorial thinking and rejection of climate science:

PLOS ONE: The Role of Conspiracist Ideation and Worldviews in Predicting Rejection of Science

Abstract

Background

Among American Conservatives, but not Liberals, trust in science has been declining since the 1970's. Climate science has become particularly polarized, with Conservatives being more likely than Liberals to reject the notion that greenhouse gas emissions are warming the globe. Conversely, opposition to genetically-modified (GM) foods and vaccinations is often ascribed to the political Left although reliable data are lacking. There are also growing indications that rejection of science is suffused by conspiracist ideation, that is the general tendency to endorse conspiracy theories including the specific beliefs that inconvenient scientific findings constitute a “hoax.”

Methodology/Principal findings

We conducted a propensity weighted internet-panel survey of the U.S. population and show that conservatism and free-market worldview strongly predict rejection of climate science, in contrast to their weaker and opposing effects on acceptance of vaccinations. The two worldview variables do not predict opposition to GM. Conspiracist ideation, by contrast, predicts rejection of all three scientific propositions, albeit to greatly varying extents. Greater endorsement of a diverse set of conspiracy theories predicts opposition to GM foods, vaccinations, and climate science.

Conclusions

Free-market worldviews are an important predictor of the rejection of scientific findings that have potential regulatory implications, such as climate science, but not necessarily of other scientific issues. Conspiracist ideation, by contrast, is associated with the rejection of all scientific propositions tested. We highlight the manifold cognitive reasons why conspiracist ideation would stand in opposition to the scientific method. The involvement of conspiracist ideation in the rejection of science has implications for science communicators.

Very well, then perhaps we should look past the article and go straight to the scientific papers themselves:

http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/cas/adai/papers/Dai-drought_WIRES2010.pdf

Projected Atlantic hurricane surge threat from rising temperatures

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v470/n7334/full/nature09763.html

Drought under global warming: a review - Dai - 2010 - Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Climate Change - Wiley Online Library

An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

http://www.nature.com/nclimate/journal/v2/n7/full/nclimate1452.html

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v470/n7334/full/nature09762.html

Keep in mind, this is only a small portion of the research that's been done. I respect that you have a strong level of skepticism and perhaps reading straight from the people who actually work on these problems for a living is the best answer.

As someone who has competed for NIH grants, I am fully skeptical. Having spent time trying to tie anything to AIDS during the 90s, I always presume that researchers follow the dollars and will work to tie anything to the AGW or CC or whatever we want to call it. I can't critically evaluate any of the articles because I am not a climate scientist. But I have to think if that I was a meteoroligist/climate scientist, I would operate fully knowing that money is pouring in and articles are published when you can tie something in to AGW. The whole mechanism for tenure and research dollars really does throw some doubt in my mind.

Just to back up, I happen to believe in AGW. I happen to do more than 99% to minimize my impact. But the analogy of pissing into a hurricane has been mentioned. Perhaps there needs to be an AGW 12 step program and admit that we are powerless (or how ever it goes).

As someone who has competed for NIH grants, I am fully skeptical. Having spent time trying to tie anything to AIDS during the 90s, I always presume that researchers follow the dollars and will work to tie anything to the AGW or CC or whatever we want to call it. I can't critically evaluate any of the articles because I am not a climate scientist. But I have to think if that I was a meteoroligist/climate scientist, I would operate fully knowing that money is pouring in and articles are published when you can tie something in to AGW. The whole mechanism for tenure and research dollars really does throw some doubt in my mind.

Great, bring forward some evidence of that and we'll discuss it.

Just to back up, I happen to believe in AGW. I happen to do more than 99% to minimize my impact. But the analogy of pissing into a hurricane has been mentioned. Perhaps there needs to be an AGW 12 step program and admit that we are powerless (or how ever it goes).

I believe the quote is "Those who say it's impossible should not interrupt those who are doing it." Participation in the transition from fossil fuels to cleaner sources of energy is not compulsory, but recommended. For example, I would really, really not invest in any coal right now. Not because I think the coal industry is ethically challenged and environmentally destructive (both true), but because of cheap natural gas prices, new regulations in N. America and Europe, and air quality problems in Asia. Coal is a huge industry but an industry with a bleak future. Sort of like a lumbering giant who is starting to tip over. One has to wonder if oil is next, not because of lack of demand, it's huge. But demand for climate action worldwide could be on the horizon, as well as greater fuel efficiency standards and new forms of transportation. If that all comes to fruition, it's hard to imagine that oil wouldn't be impacted.

I for one, am fully divested from fossil fuels. If you want to invest in them, go for it. Just don't tell anyone that I told you to do it. :smile:

An article about Ocean Acidification:

http://www.theguardian.com/environm...acidification-carbon-dioxide-emissions-levels

The oceans are more acidic now than they have been for at least 300m years, due to carbon dioxide emissions from burning fossil fuels, and a mass extinction of key species may already be almost inevitable as a result, leading marine scientists warned on Thursday.

- - - Updated - - -

From a chemical point of view this is what happens:

Once dissolved in seawater, CO[SUB]2 [/SUB]reacts with water, H[SUB]2[/SUB]O,to form carbonic acid, H[SUB]2[/SUB]CO[SUB]3:[/SUB]CO[SUB]2 + [/SUB]H[SUB]2[/SUB]O ↔ H[SUB]2[/SUB]CO[SUB]3[/SUB]. Carbonic acid dissolves rapidly to form H+ ions (an acid) and bicarbonate, HCO[SUP]3-[/SUP](a base). Seawater is naturally saturated with another base, carbonate ion (CO[SUB]3[/SUB][SUP]−2[/SUP]) that acts like an antacid to neutralize the H+, forming more bicarbonate. The net reaction looks like this: CO[SUB]2 [/SUB]+ H[SUB]2[/SUB]O + CO[SUB]3[/SUB][SUP]−2[/SUP][SUB]→ [/SUB]2HCO[SUP]3-[/SUP]

A very well-written article that perfectly articulates the challenge we face:

Finance: market shrugs off latest climate warning on fossil fuels -- Friday, October 4, 2013 -- www.eenews.net

As Bill McKibben said "It is not a flaw in the business plan, the flaw is the business plan." Fossil fuel companies have far more oil/coal/gas in their reserves than what is considered safe to burn. They are actively trying to expand their reserves as well. There is no chance that the world will stop burning fossil fuels, unless there is either a major market disruption from clean energy technology (I wouldn't count on this) or worldwide social action on reducing fossil fuel use. Worldwide action likely won't happen, as the global climate denial campaign has successfully prevented most people from being aware or caring about the risks behind climate disruption. Fossil fuel companies cannot be expected to do the right thing, even if they wanted to, their investors wouldn't let them.

Worldwide action likely won't happen, as the global climate denial campaign has successfully prevented most people from being aware or caring about the risks behind climate disruption. Fossil fuel companies cannot be expected to do the right thing, even if they wanted to, their investors wouldn't let them.

But Goverments can do the right thing and worldwide action can happen thanks to them. We don't ask to stop fossil fuels (also because it wouldn't be possible). We only ask to prevent global temperatures from rising beyond 2 degree Celsius according to the IPCC recommendations.

The IPCC had said that to keep global temperatures from rising beyond 2 degrees Celsius, humanity has to follow a carbon budget.

In my discussions (as an executive of a renewable power company) I almost always focus on local benefits and energy security. It's a rare meeting where I bring up climate change or ocean acidification because, too often, I immediately get labeled by some in the room as a wacko commie liberal. Sad, but true. Fortunately, there are plenty of good reasons for communities to want local generation from sustainable resources.

On a slight tangent: although I hate bumper stickers, I'd consider one that read:

BOYCOTT OPEC
DRIVE ELECTRIC

It’s a good one for sure. Thanks for posting. This one, as well as all your other posts. And hopefully it will be that easy, and finally sway these folks. [I really, really wish!] For example, anyone remember when Flasherz was posting here? It really seemed that you guys really got through. Well, apparently as of two days ago it seems – we were still part of…

…/ the Church of Climate Change /…

[Pause. …and hold.]

But who knows, maybe this little film can help.

Last edited:
Hilarious!!! A wonderful satire of the climate denier behavior:

Science Fair Nightmare - YouTube

This is nice. But Jason Sherman exixts for real?

- - - Updated - - -

@SwedishAdvocate

FlasherZ drives a Model S and has a 9 KW solar power system on his house. He is one of us. He only thinks that sometimes we are a littlle bit integralist while standing for our ideas. If everybody acted like FlasherZ the world would be fine. Believe me no problem with FlasherZ.

Last edited: