Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CO2 is the byproduct of animal respiration and a necessity for plant respiration. It is a real stretch to call it pollution. Whether combustion sources of it should be regulated is an entirely different subject. Current levels have not reached the optimum for plant life, nor have they reached levels that would directly harm animals.

And there we have it. Another climate change denialist climbs out of the woodwork.

Can you guys read? You can't debate any of your gospel?
Most (99%+) people who understand the science believe that CO2 and methane are causing climate change that is a significant threat to life on earth. There is no debate among scientists.
The remainder of the people fall into the "denier" category and there are special places for them to discuss this. This forum has a thread for climate change denial. I suggest you go there.

Reactions: DrGriz
The US supreme court poses a real threat to US democracy | Richard Wolffe

They order states to remove sensible gun safety measures. Then they deny women reproductive rights by pretending that states can do whatever they want. They say that presidents cannot limit carbon emissions to tackle the climate crisis. And now they are ready to change the way we elect presidents. Whatever you call the current crusade of this supreme court, their approach is not conservative. There is nothing stable or traditional about throwing out a half-century of civil rights and quite possibly a century of democratic practice.

This is a radical bunch of ideologues who have spent years projecting themselves onto their critics. For decades, the Republican party has picked activist judges while pretending to correct the notion of activist judges on the other side of the divide. It’s the same excuse that Fox News used for decades as it cosplayed the shows of an actual news division: it was just correcting the bias on the other side. If you can convince the suckers that the other side is misbehaving, you can justify pretty much anything.

Republicans May Have Set Themselves Up for a Showdown With the Supreme Court Opinion | Republicans May Have Set Themselves Up for a Showdown With the Supreme Court

There are actually two Republican critiques of the administrative state — and they are fundamentally in contradiction with each other. One seeks to restrain its power, the other to wield it against new targets.

By contrast, a move by a second Trump administration (or a DeSantis administration) to seize and transform the American administrative state could put it on a collision course with a conservative judiciary. After all, if an executive branch agency exceeds its power when it makes rules under a broad grant of power from Congress, surely it exceeds them when it ignores explicit instructions from Congress, which a wholesale politicization of the administrative state would certainly do.

This is where the two visions from the right could come into sharp conflict. Would a conservative Supreme Court rebuke a conservative administration if it acts outside the bounds of what the court sees as legitimate? It’s not clear.

Conservative judges follow the law and the Constitution, not politics.

I wasn't able to find a law behind the so-called "major questions doctrine". What is it?

Specifically, what would be the law that directly or indirectly instructs the courts to protect the coal industry from a regulation for the reason that this regulation might have an impact on the choice of technology for power plants?

I wasn't able to find a law behind the so-called "major questions doctrine". What is it?
Not much point in further debate except to say that in a case before them they had the power to rule as to whether the Executive Branch agency exceeded the authority given by Congress. It is decided and it's up to Congress to act if they so choose. If you have more interest in the actual answer to your question, explore the arguments presented in the case before making a judgement. I think you will find it in the separation of powers in the Constitution, not statutory law.

Last edited:
Not much point in further debate except to say that in a case before them they had the power to rule as to whether the Executive Branch agency exceeded the authority given by Congress. It is decided and it's up to Congress to act if they so choose. If you have more interest in the actual answer to your question, explore the arguments presented in the case before making a judgement. I think you will find it in the separation of powers in the Constitution, not statutory law.

Sure, this is about that the conservative judges "had the power". That I agree with. They had the power 6:3.

I've been reading several articles about "major questions doctrine", and there is no indication that such a law (or part of the Constitution) exists. My impression is that this is just their perferred way or chosen method of interpreting Congress. I would need a long time to find a law that doesn't exist.... or prove its non-existence.

Apparently you don't know such a law either, and are just speculating that the ruling is based on law or Constitution as opposed to politics.

Sure, this is about that the conservative judges "had the power". That I agree with. They had the power 6:3.

I've been reading several articles about "major questions doctrine", and there is no indication that such a law (or part of the Constitution) exists. My impression is that this is just their perferred way or chosen method of interpreting Congress. I would need a long time to find a law that doesn't exist.... or prove its non-existence.

Apparently you don't know such a law either, and are just speculating that the ruling is based on law or Constitution as opposed to politics.
"Major Questions" require major amounts of campaign contributions. They've finally collected enough.

• Funny
Wild species support half of world’s population, report finds

Wild plants, animals, fungi and algae support half of the world’s population but their future use is threatened by overexploitation, according to a new assessment by leading scientists. From the 10,000 known wild species that humans harvest for food to the firewood that one in three people need for cooking, nature is key to the livelihoods and survival of billions of people in developed and developing countries, says a new UN report.

Examples of the damaging practices include unsustainable fishing and logging, which have left one in three fisheries overexploited around the world and one in 10 tree species threatened with extinction. Plant groups such as cacti, orchids and cycads are particularly at risk, and unsustainable hunting has been identified as a threat to the survival of 1,341 wild mammal species, especially pronounced in large-bodied species with low reproduction rates. The report also highlights lessons from sustainable practices around the world. The authors point to the early recovery of bluefin tuna in the Atlantic Ocean after the collapse in stocks in the 1990s and 2000s, and the more sustainable fishing of the enormous pirarucu fish in the Amazon, which involves community-based management.

• Informative
Reactions: Norbert and DrGriz

The report from the Boston Consulting Group (BCG) found that, for each dollar, investment in improving and scaling up the production of meat and dairy alternatives resulted in three times more greenhouse gas reductions compared with investment in green cement technology, seven times more than green buildings and 11 times more than zero-emission cars.

Reactions: mspohr and DrGriz
Wild species support half of world’s population, report finds

Wild plants, animals, fungi and algae support half of the world’s population but their future use is threatened by overexploitation, according to a new assessment by leading scientists. From the 10,000 known wild species that humans harvest for food to the firewood that one in three people need for cooking, nature is key to the livelihoods and survival of billions of people in developed and developing countries, says a new UN report.

Examples of the damaging practices include unsustainable fishing and logging, which have left one in three fisheries overexploited around the world and one in 10 tree species threatened with extinction. Plant groups such as cacti, orchids and cycads are particularly at risk, and unsustainable hunting has been identified as a threat to the survival of 1,341 wild mammal species, especially pronounced in large-bodied species with low reproduction rates. The report also highlights lessons from sustainable practices around the world. The authors point to the early recovery of bluefin tuna in the Atlantic Ocean after the collapse in stocks in the 1990s and 2000s, and the more sustainable fishing of the enormous pirarucu fish in the Amazon, which involves community-based management.
We're deep into The Sixth Extinction. And we did it. All by ourselves.

• Informative
Reactions: mspohr