Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are already in the danger zone for major damage.

You know, if the earth was going to warm up so much that we would perish in the next 2 decades, you better believe everyone would be trying to solve the problem. It shows how lazy we are, if it doesn't affect me I don't care......I always thought about future generations after I'm gone, but now that I have a child, it really hits home.

The threat is not simply proportional to average global temperature (which is only an index, like the DJI, not what does the damage).

Wind speed, for example, is a function of the difference between sea and land temperatures. And the land is warming 2.5 times as fast as Sea Surface Temp. A strong contrast across the coastline is likely to produce stronger winds.

You don't need an accurate wind warming model to know how much additional damage will occur. The insurance industry has lots of data on what a 50 mph windstorm costs them. And what a 60 mph storm costs.

It's only a mere 20% increase in wind speed, but damage claims increase 500%. Welcome to nonlinearity.

Guess what happens to insurance premiums then? Well, actually they won't go up 500%. Insurance companies will simply stop writing policies for affected areas. (See my Global Fever book, links at Brains and Climate: William H. Calvin)

This isn't an iffy prediction: it has already begun. Recall what happened in Florida after 4 hurricanes hit in 2004-05 and the major insurance companies pulled out. The state taxpayers had to go into the insurance business because coastal cities would soon turn into slums as insurance vanished and, in consequence, mortgages as well. No one would be able to sell and move elsewhere without an ability to cash out on their FL property.

Should FL taxpayers become unable to bear the burden of self-insuring, do you really suppose (recall New Orleans) that the federal taxpayers will pick up the load?

There is no timeline for that sort of cascade, and we are already ten years into the danger zone for it. Climate threats are not just to grandchildren, or children. Thanks to ignoring fifty years of scientists' warnings, it's now us as well.

Last edited:
Relationship between CO2 concentration in the atmosphere and Temperature

In the following graph it can be seen that there is a strong relationship between CO2 concentration in the atmosphere and Temperature changes in the history of the Earth.

Attachments

• Immagine CO2VTA2.png
    Immagine CO2VTA2.png
    161.5 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
On any other subject you'd get laughed out of the room if you can't even predict 6 years into the future but pretend to know what will happen 100 years from now.

But the true believers won't be swayed.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1386085385.021648.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1386085385.021648.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 106
On any other subject you'd get laughed out of the room if you can't even predict 6 years into the future but pretend to know what will happen 100 years from now.
Maybe if you ignored the headline and actually researched the issue (or just read the fine article), you'd see that BBC grossly exaggerated the headline using the claims from one scientist (Professor Wieslaw Maslowski who has consistently produced estimates far more drastic than others). If you read further down in the article, Professor Peter Wadhams says that 2030 was his best estimate.

But hey - go ahead and keep on cherry picking data points to fit your view.

Still not sure why I bother replying to anyone who insists they live in "Kalifornia". Big Brad Pitt fan I'm assuming?

Last edited:
While I suppose it is possible to deny the severity of climate change... I don't understand how anyone can deny it's existence.

1- Is CO2 transparent to light from the sun but opaque to infrared light emitted by the earth? YES, not disputed ANYWHERE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGaV3PiobYk

2- Is the primary mechanism through which the Earth cools Infrared Radiation? YES, not disputed ANYWHERE

3- Is the concentration of CO2 rising? YES, from ~280ppm (pre-1900) to ~400ppm (Today)

4- Does industrial activity emit enough to be responsible?
31.6E12kg (2012 fossil fuel emissions) / 5.15E18kg (Earths Atmosphere) = ~6ppm/yr compare to a rise of ~2ppm/yr

So... YES, YES, YES and YES... these CANNOT all be true and anthropogenic climate change be false and there is zero doubt about each statement.

Really? Is your weatherman laughed out of the room since he can't predict 6 years into the future, are stock analysts and fund managers laughed out of the room because they can't predict 6 years into the future? In fact please name one subject where people are actually expected to predict the future, and are "laughed out of the room" when they aren't 100% accurate. Guess what did happen for the first time ever in 2013? A bulk freighter went through the Northwest passage because there was so little ice. http://thinkprogress.org/climate/20...hwest-passage-passable-climate-change-arctic/
But the true believers won't be swayed.
Indeed you won't, even by the facts in some of the very articles you post, or all the facts that are presented to you as counter arguments.

I think 2007 consensus was that we'd have an ice free September by now at the North Pole. I know a few NOAA people and they certainly thought we'd have seen it by now. And it'll likely still happen one of these years.

I don't really care what the poles are doing or what the ice extent is or if it's thinner or thicker this year or the next, CO2 concentrations should be more than enough for people to be considerably more than alarmed right now. Simple measurements that coincided with major temperature increases. How can there me a more clear cause for concern?

Can we stand to lose Florida and New Jersey? Perhaps. But what about after that?

Predicting the year in which arctic ice is gone is very hard, like predicting where the first steam bubble forms in a heating pot of water. But climate sciences predictions are about that the water in the pot gets warmer.

The wording of your own cited article says that "nothern polar waters could be ice-free in summers within just 5-6 years". The key takeaway is "could be".

Just at the statement "I could flip a coin and have it land on tails". I then flip a coin and it lands it heads. Was my intentional statement that it "could have landed on tails" false? No it wasn't. Because that was a probable outcome.

Back to the "ice isn't melting" myth that you are trying to perpetuate, this article does a thorough debunking of it.

Ice isn't melting

The wording of your own cited article says that "nothern polar waters could be ice-free in summers within just 5-6 years". The key takeaway is "could be".
I hesitate to jump in on this but when I read phrases like "could be", I tune out. It has not teeth and thus, to me, has little value.

"I could be a trillionaire tomorrow."