Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guess what everybody. I am moving soon to a house in Katy, TX. I plugged in the zip code and I have a choice of 77 electric plans for the zip. The green energy plans used to be more expensive. Not any more! There are green energy plans that are priced the same as the mixed energy plans - around 8-10cents per kWh!! I just now found that out. Thought y’all would like to know.
How on earth do you sort out 77 plans? Or is it like roulette?

• Funny
Reactions: eevee-fan
How on earth do you sort out 77 plans? Or is it like roulette?
I just did the simplest thing. I transferred service and set the dates to end at my house and when to begin at the new house. There are myriads of plans due to different electric companies and different terms. Some are short, some are long. Some are 100% green energy, some as little as 6% green energy. Several years ago, there was quite a large gulf in price between the green/non-green plans. Not anymore. The cheaper plans lock in a rate for a set period of time. To break contract, you pay $20 per month whatever is remaining on the contract. More expensive plans are month to month. Centerpoint Energy is the name of our main public utility company. They supply the power. A whole bunch of subsidiary electric companies administer the plans. Like I previously stated, quite a variety to choose from.

I just did the simplest thing. I transferred service and set the dates to end at my house and when to begin at the new house. There are myriads of plans due to different electric companies and different terms. Some are short, some are long. Some are 100% green energy, some as little as 6% green energy. Several years ago, there was quite a large gulf in price between the green/non-green plans. Not anymore. The cheaper plans lock in a rate for a set period of time. To break contract, you pay $20 per month whatever is remaining on the contract. More expensive plans are month to month. Centerpoint Energy is the name of our main public utility company. They supply the power. A whole bunch of subsidiary electric companies administer the plans. Like I previously stated, quite a variety to choose from.
My last electric bill was $212.25 for using 1,794 kWh. Including fees, that is an average price of 11.8 cents per kWh. The actual energy charge is 9.3273 cents per kWh. Seems like a reasonable plan, so I’ll continue it for the new house. It is a 12-month term. When I renew, I’ll sign up for the green energy option.

My last electric bill was $212.25 for using 1,794 kWh. Including fees, that is an average price of 11.8 cents per kWh. The actual energy charge is 9.3273 cents per kWh. Seems like a reasonable plan, so I’ll continue it for the new house. It is a 12-month term. When I renew, I’ll sign up for the green energy option.

Because of another year of record heat, my last bill was $96.35 for 1,199Kwh. Inclusive of admin fee, my average is 8.04 cents a KWh. This is NV Energy Southern Nevada.

Because of another year of record heat, my last bill was $96.35 for 1,199Kwh. Inclusive of admin fee, my average is 8.04 cents a KWh. This is NV Energy Southern Nevada.
Another one of the categories we had was the small-home 1,000 kWh plans and the 2,000 kWh plans. The small home plans ranged from 6.9 cents to 8.0 cents per kWh. I suppose that is kind of a carbon footprint tax we have in Texas. If you buy big house, then you pay a higher rate for electricity.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Another one of the categories we had was the small-home 1,000 kWh plans and the 2,000 kWh plans. The small home plans ranged from 6.9 cents to 8.0 cents per kWh. I suppose that is kind of a carbon footprint tax we have in Texas. If you buy big house, then you pay a higher rate for electricity.

So how much would the bill be for a 1200 KWh month? From your description which excludes mention of the fixed monthly fee, I am guessing more than $100?

NV Energy has been lowering rates by incorporating renewables + switch to NG.

2021 is working its way to the top....
(Haven't posted the seasonal cycle for a while...)
2021-06_seasonal_gistemp.png

Guess what everybody. I am moving soon to a house in Katy, TX. I plugged in the zip code and I have a choice of 77 electric plans for the zip. The green energy plans used to be more expensive. Not any more! There are green energy plans that are priced the same as the mixed energy plans - around 8-10cents per kWh!! I just now found that out. Thought y’all would like to know.
is Tesla Energy one of the 77 plans?
ERCOT looks ripe for disrupting by TE

My last electric bill was $0 and it's $0 most of the year. My solar electricity cost amortized over 25 years is 6.4 cents. Free after that. Also, I'm protected against rate increases. ( Our power company charges 17 cents and wants to raise it to 19 cents.)

$212.29 for 1,794 kwh!
that’s more than a bit exorbitant!
I’m on the $21.69/month plan, which is the minimum connection charge

manufacturing 17,400 kwh/year from 11,655 kw array (DC) {9,907 kw AC @ 85% conversion official} at 26.6 degrees north
”virtually zero marginal cost of manufacturing”

couple of batteries with PV array and inverter with islanding capabilities and ERCOT won’t matter……

How a powerful US lobby group helps big oil to block climate action

On the same day, Shell issued a separate report revealing that its single largest donation to political lobby groups last year was made to the American Petroleum Institute, one of the US’s most powerful trade organizations, which drives the oil industry’s relationship with Congress. Contrary to Shell’s public statements in support of electric vehicles, API’s chief executive, Mike Sommers, has pledged to resist a raft of Joe Biden’s environmental measures, including proposals to fund new charging points in the US. He claims a “rushed transition” to electric vehicles is part of “government action to limit Americans’ transportation choice”

Whitehouse said the oil and gas industry now recognizes it is no longer “socially acceptable” to outright deny climate change, and that companies are under pressure to claim they support new energy solutions that are less harmful to the environment. But that does not mean their claims should be taken at face value.

Yosie believes that confronted with the true extent of the looming disaster, API and the oil companies ran scared, choosing instead to pursue an agenda informed by climate denialism.

The Amazon is now a net carbon producer, but there’s still time to reverse the damage | Ane Alencar and Adriane Esquivel Muelbert

Until a study published in Nature this month by a group of Brazilian scientists revealed that the Amazon is now emitting a billion tonnes more carbon dioxide each year than it can absorb, the region was seen as an important carbon sink for the world. It took the lead scientist Luciana Gatti and her colleagues almost a decade of flying back and forth over the forest, collecting samples to be analysed for carbon dioxide concentration, at distinct altitudes and over different areas, from highly deforested to well-conserved ones, for scientists to realise that the game had changed: parts of the Amazon forest are now net carbon contributors.

• Informative
Reactions: eevee-fan
is Tesla Energy one of the 77 plans?
ERCOT looks ripe for disrupting by TE

CleanTechnica: Tesla Is Inviting Its Energy Customers In California To Join Its Virtual Power Plant.

So how much would the bill be for a 1200 KWh month? From your description which excludes mention of the fixed monthly fee, I am guessing more than $100?

NV Energy has been lowering rates by incorporating renewables + switch to NG.
I was looking at my previous bills. I had 1009 kWh one month with a total charge of $121.80. But I am under the 2000 kWh plan because I average well above 1000 kWh per month, so I pay a higher rate. I think that is the way Texas lowers electricity costs for lower income folks living in smaller homes and apartments.

$212.29 for 1,794 kwh!
that’s more than a bit exorbitant!
I’m on the $21.69/month plan, which is the minimum connection charge

manufacturing 17,400 kwh/year from 11,655 kw array (DC) {9,907 kw AC @ 85% conversion official} at 26.6 degrees north
”virtually zero marginal cost of manufacturing”

couple of batteries with PV array and inverter with islanding capabilities and ERCOT won’t matter……
OK, good for you.

OK, good for you.
@Texas Electric
you probably could also.
I got a “Sense” monitor with current clamps to monitor and report “what uses what”
it found a bad leg on a 240v Circuit breaker. some induction cooking, 100% led lighting, “tankless water heater”
you can still read the defunct magazine online “HomePower” that used to feature “guerilla solar” (just do it safely) for ideas. (and get a 30-40 year history).