Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

As the planet warms, many dangerous extreme events are becoming more frequent and intense.

The U.S. has experienced a record 25 billion-dollar weather and climate disasters so far in 2023.

The frequency of billion-dollar disasters has increased dramatically since 1980.

The average time between billion-dollar disasters in 2023 (through November) was just 10 days.

As the planet warms, many dangerous extreme events are becoming more frequent and intense.

The U.S. has experienced a record 25 billion-dollar weather and climate disasters so far in 2023.

The frequency of billion-dollar disasters has increased dramatically since 1980.

The average time between billion-dollar disasters in 2023 (through November) was just 10 days.
So as you can see John Kerry is correct when he says that the Climate Change issue is really dangerous.

What's wrong with this picture? (Hint: everything)

2023-annual-NasaGistemp-graph.png

Reactions: mspohr
Actually the Temperature Deviation of 2023 calculated by Berkely Earth is even higher at 1.54C, with an accuracy of 0.06C, meaning that it could also be 1.6C.
1.54C "above the 1850-1900 average".

The NASA figure is "w.r.t. 1951 - 1980".

I don't know what the normalized difference would be. (Personally I'm looking more at the dynamic than the numbers themselves.)

It does start 1880, but below 0.0. Whereas the Berkeley Earth graph is a tiny bit above 0 in 1880. Splitting hairs this is.
Then this is the reason why the Temperature Deviation calculated by Berkely Earth is higher. Better like this. It means that the Global Temperature Deviation has still not overtaken the threshold of 1.5 degrees Celsius set by the Agreement of Paris.

Then this is the reason why the Temperature Deviation calculated by Berkely Earth is higher. Better like this. It means that the Global Temperature Deviation has still not overtaken the threshold of 1.5 degrees Celsius set by the Agreement of Paris.

Well I just meant to say that the difference between the graphs is not as large as it may first seem. I wouldn't know which one is "better" in any sense. Considering that there are slight differences in how the data is averaged and all that (and the differences seem to fluctuate), it is likely that if one is interested specifically in the exact marker for 1.5C, these data collections and graphs won't all reach this point at the same time. So I don't want to be one to say we haven't already reached that point, at least by some valid accounts.

Reactions: Raffy.Roma
Well I just meant to say that the difference between the graphs is not as large as it may first seem. I wouldn't know which one is "better" in any sense. Considering that there are slight differences in how the data is averaged and all that (and the differences seem to fluctuate), it is likely that if one is interested specifically in the exact marker for 1.5C, these data collections and graphs won't all reach this point at the same time. So I don't want to be one to say we haven't already reached that point, at least by some valid accounts.
Ok but you gave a good hint. Thank you.

Albedo is the fraction of sunlight that is diffusely reflected by a body.
Global warming affects albedo this way.
An increase in global temperature causes snow and ice to melt, which decreases the extent to which they cover the surface, which then decreases Earth's albedo.
The more the albedo decreases the less sunlight is reflected in the space establishing a negative feedback loop that allows more energy coming from the sun to warm the Earth and be reflected as infrared rays rather than light rays.
Of course this way the Energy Imbalance due to the GHE increases.
In this tweet the graph of the Earth albedo since 2001 is reported.

Last edited:
Tracking 2000 years of climate change

Climate scientist Ed Hawkins, creator of the warming stripes, put together a detailed graphic that tracks changes in the climate system alongside important milestones in human history, such as the invention of the steam engine and the discovery of global warming. “In every case, the recent changes are rapid and unusual compared to before human influence on the climate,” he says. Take a look:
5a43dbe3-04f4-6d38-b747-9ad87e064db9.png

New shocking study.

The Greenland ice cap is losing an average of 30m tonnes of ice an hour due to the climate crisis, a study has revealed, which is 20% more than was previously thought.

Some scientists are concerned that this additional source of freshwater pouring into the north Atlantic might mean a collapse of the ocean currents called the Atlantic meridional overturning circulation (Amoc), of which Gulf Stream is a part, is closer to being triggered with severe consequences for humanity.

Think that the situation for what is concerning the Climate Change issue is getting really serious.