Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Control Issue - climate keeper not working due to system fault

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

Last few days I’ve noticed that AC in the car has started to work itself, not working at all, or deciding to work then not, jumping to recirculating on its own, switching to footwell only on its own. Also got a message up on it yesterday saying “climate keeper not working due to system fault”

anyone had any similar issues?

2021 car?

There appears to be a known problem with a sensor relating to the heatpump. Based on what you've described, and that error message specifically, it sounds like you're sadly affected by this.

Unfortunately you'll need to schedule a service request to get it sorted.

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
2021 car?

There appears to be a known problem with a sensor relating to the heatpump. Based on what you've described, and that error message specifically, it sounds like you're sadly affected by this.

Unfortunately you'll need to schedule a service request to get it sorted.
I think I spend too much time on this forum. Bootneckshuffl has been posting about his M3 car since August last year so presumably he does not have a heat pump to fail. probably still a service issue but not heatpump related.

We had similar - I thought that it may have been a firmware issue. In the end, apart from first drive, it never returned so I never bothered reporting it in the end.

I put it down to the car having been sat unused for long period over new year / lockdown and some of that having a pile of snow on top of the HVAC entry areas. It manifested itself as car blowing out hot humid air and cabin > 30C.

1620641293425.png

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
We had similar - I thought that it may have been a firmware issue. In the end, apart from first drive, it never returned so I never bothered reporting it in the end.

I put it down to the car having been sat unused for long period over new year / lockdown and some of that having a pile of snow on top of the HVAC entry areas. It manifested itself as car blowing out hot humid air and cabin > 30C.

View attachment 660964
Yes mate that’s the error message right there. AC was defo working prior, just started to play up last couple days.

I just picked up my model S LR and have the same issue. I get the same message. Cannot control the climate from phone. Was hoping it was just a software issue.
I had this problem -- on (freezing cold) Christmas Day. Tesla remotely downloaded a patch which worked around the issue so I could use the heating, until such times as a service appointment was arranged to replace three hvac sensors, one of which was faulty.

Hi all

Last few days I’ve noticed that AC in the car has started to work itself, not working at all, or deciding to work then not, jumping to recirculating on its own, switching to footwell only on its own. Also got a message up on it yesterday saying “climate keeper not working due to system fault”

anyone had any similar issues?
I am having similar problems with my Model Y. When A/C is on auto, it simply doesn't cool, so I have to manually adjust fan level, AC, vents, etc. At the same time, I noticed dog mode doesn't work and climate control doesn't work. I have the same error message. Have you taken it to the service center? I want to know that they can fix it before I go, because my nearest service center is a 6 hr. round trip.

Our fault has reappeared itself again. A/C only marginally effective - having window open in 26C was cooler... Same error which I noticed disappears when driving (but A/C still ineffective) so probably explains the ineffective A/C we had a couple of weeks back. Time to book a service visit. I bug reported so at least they know where to look in the logs. At least time it was vaguely blowing unwarmed air. Last time it was like a sauna in the car with the car blowing hot (probably humid) air and it heated to over 32C in the cabin even on a cooler March day.

I am having similar problems with my Model Y. When A/C is on auto, it simply doesn't cool, so I have to manually adjust fan level, AC, vents, etc. At the same time, I noticed dog mode doesn't work and climate control doesn't work. I have the same error message. Have you taken it to the service center? I want to know that they can fix it before I go, because my nearest service center is a 6 hr. round trip.

I'm thinking that your location is Birmingham Alabama and not Birmingham England! Certainly not 6 hrs round trip in the UK ... also, we can't get the Model Y here yet... oh, and that spelling of "center" ... a possible giveaway! (You are very welcome here but just in case you haven't already noticed this is the UK/Ireland forum :) )

Reactions: toolman335
OK this might seemed weird. I let the car sleep. Entered the tesla app. Navigated to climate. Tried turning on the a/c remotely. Presented with climate failed error in the app. I then exited the app, reopened and repeated the procedure to turn the a/c on again. No error presented. App displayed airflow animation. Car now no longer displays climate keeper error. A/C seems to be working again.

Our fault has reappeared itself again. A/C only marginally effective - having window open in 26C was cooler... Same error which I noticed disappears when driving (but A/C still ineffective) so probably explains the ineffective A/C we had a couple of weeks back. Time to book a service visit. I bug reported so at least they know where to look in the logs. At least time it was vaguely blowing unwarmed air. Last time it was like a sauna in the car with the car blowing hot (probably humid) air and it heated to over 32C in the cabin even on a cooler March day.

A long overdue update on this although briefly mentioned in a couple of other similar threads.

The above mentioned service replaced one of the temperature and humidity sensors. So in our case, an underlying hardware issue even though there was some time between the initial occurrence of the fault and when I again noticed ineffective A/C performance then finally the marginal A/C along with confirmed error message that finally made me raise it as a concern. May be coincidental, but all noted occurrences were at the extremes of temperature (and possibly humidity) - initially first drive after lockdown having previously had car covered in snow, second was a boiling hot day.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
Had one of my temp and humidity sensors replaced last week after reporting this error. Similarly ineffective automatic function misting up when it shouldn't, and I'm sure this was the cause of the car feeling like it wasn't cooling properly sometimes over the summer (despite a service visit at the time finding no fault). Everything now working as it should, and the difference between selecting 20 and 19 degrees now feels like the 1 degree difference it is, as opposed to blazing hot vs icy cold respectively.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado