Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate control slow to respond when starting car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Noted the past few months that the climate control set to auto temp does not adjust or turn on right away when "starting" or driving away with car. This has been most noticeable recently with cold weather...get in set a destination, drive away and final heat and seat warmers startup about a minute after getting into car. I know auto climate control was much more responsive in the past (almost immediate when getting in car).

Did I miss something with some update that needs to be set differently?

Seat warmers start immediately here but it takes a while before I can feel the heat, which I believe is normal. When it's cold out, the fan will not start immediately because that would just push freezing cold air in my face. I believe the car waits until there's some heat in the PTC heater before starting the fan. I would think it does the same with a heat pump and I would call that "by design".

I try routinely to click on the "fan" in the app about 5 minutes before I expect to drive away. Watching the reported cabin temperature, it takes about 2 minutes before the observed cabin temperature starts moving up, but by 3 minutes it is moving up at a smart pace. I think getting the heat pump going takes a bit of time.

If it is cooling, there are two cases:
1. I run cabin temperature limitation, set to the highest optional temperature. If that has been intermittently cooling the car, the heat pump seems pretty primed to go, and cooling starts in a good bit less than 2 minutes
2. If the limitation cooling never activated and it is starting from nothing, it also takes a little while to get rolling.

If I lived in North Dakota, quite likely I'd want to give it more than 5 minutes to get ready, but here in Albuquerque it is usually more than enough.

Even if it has not quite reached target, the air coming out of the vent will be strongly pushing in the right direction.

Reactions: SVDNN
Seems slow to respond for me always and then if i need to correct it is a problem too.
Are you referring to the numbers on the touchscreen not changing despite pressing the buttons? Or just the actual air temp not changing as quickly as you’d like?

The OP here is talking about the latter, which is just the heat pump ‘warming up’ so the the first air it blows is the right temp.

If your touchscreen is having a delayed response I would try the double scroll wheel reset.