Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

climate on for extended time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove my car today. Arrived home around 2pm got out of the car and didn’t think anything of it. Car was at 76% when I arrived home at 2pm.

just a few minutes ago I got a notification via the app climate has been on for an extended period of time. The climate was set to 68 and its over 75 inside the car and it dropped down to 59% so its clearly been running for hours.

I’ve NEVER seen this before. No doors were left ajar anyone know why this might happen?

(as a side note...my hubby works for our local gas company and they provide l2 chargers for employees so we charge the car during the day while he’s working instead of at night. So it wasn’t plugged in during this time)

Last night around 9pm, I closed all doors, it chirped, lights flashed and mirror folded.

This morning I received couple messages on my phone:
1. Climate has been on for an extended period of time.
2. Climate has been turned off because it has been on for 4 hours.
and i noticed a significant drop in battery SOC.
Screenshot_.jpg

judging by the timestamps, Climate was running from 12:52 to 4:52
which is odd, because i was fast asleep before 11pm.

check all your doors. Mine would do the same thing. Close. Lock. Mirrors fold. Screens black and I got this message twice. Both times I was awake thankfully. My passenger door handle was on its way out and was catching causing the car to not really be off or asleep. Door handle replaced and haven’t seen it happen again.

Good to know the 4 hour limit. Due to handing off kids with my wife who works nights I often grocery shop at lunch and leave the climate on to maintain a cold temp in the car with the groceries in soft side ice chest in the back.

check all your doors. Mine would do the same thing. Close. Lock. Mirrors fold. Screens black and I got this message twice. Both times I was awake thankfully. My passenger door handle was on its way out and was catching causing the car to not really be off or asleep. Door handle replaced and haven’t seen it happen again.

wouldn't a faulty door handle trigger the alarm, instead of turning the climate on hours after it's been locked?

wouldn't a faulty door handle trigger the alarm, instead of turning the climate on hours after it's been locked?
You’d think. Mine didn’t. Even when I went out to the car it looked like it was off. The door was closed. Couldn’t be pulled open from the outside. I didn’t even know what door specifically it was. I opened and closed them all and one sounded different every few times I’d closed it. A weird clicking noise. The tech said the paddle inside was getting caught a little.