Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate turns off after 2 hours?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the last month or so, I've been occasionally getting a message that says the the climate is turning off after 2 hours, and I don't know why. Some days, I've actually been in and out of the car for several hours (90 minute commute, stop for 10 minutes, drive again for 20 minutes, stop for 2 minutes, drive again, etc), and sometimes I've gotten the message when my car's been parked at work for 4 or 5 hours, untouched - I have no idea if the climate had been on or not, but if it was, it wasn't because I programmed it to be. This month, I have started pre-conditioning my car before leaving (still plugged in), set with a departure time in the app, but I don't know if that's related or not. (As an aside, I always get a notification that my "cabin has reached the desired temperature" about 15 minutes before my scheduled departure -- is that normal?) I don't otherwise control the climate with the app - only via preconditioning for a scheduled departure. My app is set to start charging at 1am, and precondition by my set departure time (which I adjust as needed).

I've seen the 'climate turning off after 2 hours' issue in previous posts, but none with a reason or resolution. What happens if I'm on a road trip and driving for 3.5 hours?

I've been receiving that message for several weeks, and have been on a road trip during that time. It doesn't turn off the climate control while you're driving.

I'm also not certain it's running after I get out of the car and then later receive the message. I think it's entirely an app messaging bug. But I have no proof either way.

There is a sensor in the driver's seat, front passenger seat that informs the Tesla vehicle that someone is seated in the vehicle. If the sensor malfunctions the Tesla vehicle can keep the Climate Control system active for up to 2 hours. Schedule a service appointment via the Tesla app so that Tesla can determine if there is a seat sensor problem with the vehicle.

There is a sensor in the driver's seat, front passenger seat that informs the Tesla vehicle that someone is seated in the vehicle. If the sensor malfunctions the Tesla vehicle can keep the Climate Control system active for up to 2 hours. Schedule a service appointment via the Tesla app so that Tesla can determine if there is a seat sensor problem with the vehicle.

If it thinks a person is in the seat shouldn't it show the seatbelt buckle prompt on the screen?

Same here, software 28.300. Only get this on days I have scheduled departure set and only when I depart from my home. Confirmed my climate is not on when I walk away from the Model Y. 2 hours after I get to work it sends that alert.

Doesn't happen when I leave work at my scheduled departure/preconditioning - just my morning departure/preconditioning from home.

I've been getting this also. Only at my work location. Car set to depart at 5:15PM so it can warm the interior. It is not plugged in at work.
At home it is set to depart at 7:15AM. It is plugged in at home. I've never had this message at home.

I'm fairly certain that the climate hasn't been on when it gives the alert because the car temperature is usually ~11C where as my climate is set to 20C. So I assume it is just a bug with the app.

This has been on 2022.28.3 which my car came with. Just yesterday I got the 2022.40.4 update so will see if it still happens. It doesn't happen every day though. Maybe two out of four workdays.

Got home last night about 9pm and plugged in to my outlet in the garage. When I got up this morning I saw this same message about climate turning off after two hours. I don't know when it came in. Software is 2023.2.12. Nothing on the car seats. First time this has happened.

I recently pre-warmed the car for 10-15 minutes prior to leaving for work on a day ambient temp was 32-35 degrees. Got to work uneventfully, but when I returned to my car at noon, it was still 70 degrees inside.

I recently pre-warmed the car for 10-15 minutes prior to leaving for work on a day ambient temp was 32-35 degrees. Got to work uneventfully, but when I returned to my car at noon, it was still 70 degrees inside.

Preconditioning is set by the cars location. Make sure you don't have it turned on for where you park at work.

It's also possible if you were parked in the sun it was just warm inside.

Reactions: ArtK