Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ClipperCreek J1772 plug not cooperating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I rely largely on local charging in my hometown, which has a bunch of these ClipperCreek stations near my office. They look like this:

clipper.jpg

All of these charging stations use a J1772 plug, which I connect to my J1772->Tesla adapter, which connects to my car. However, the way these plugs work is that they "clip" onto the adapter to register a solid connection. If they don't clip on successfully, then there's no current flowing to the car.

I'm having significant trouble getting the plugs to clip lately. Despite fiddling with it for 15 minutes today, I was unable to get it to register a solid connection with the J1772 adapter, and I had to give up on getting a charge. Other cars with native J1772 support seem to be working just fine.

I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this problem and if they have a solution? Here's what it looks like:

IMG_2511.jpg IMG_2512.jpg IMG_2513.jpg IMG_2514.jpg

I rely largely on local charging in my hometown, which has a bunch of these ClipperCreek stations near my office. They look like this:

View attachment 229244

All of these charging stations use a J1772 plug, which I connect to my J1772->Tesla adapter, which connects to my car. However, the way these plugs work is that they "clip" onto the adapter to register a solid connection. If they don't clip on successfully, then there's no current flowing to the car.

I'm having significant trouble getting the plugs to clip lately. Despite fiddling with it for 15 minutes today, I was unable to get it to register a solid connection with the J1772 adapter, and I had to give up on getting a charge. Other cars with native J1772 support seem to be working just fine.

I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this problem and if they have a solution? Here's what it looks like:

View attachment 229247 View attachment 229248 View attachment 229249 View attachment 229251

I had a problem with my home clipper creek unit getting a solid connection with my car. I called clipper creek and they had problems with earlier J1772 handles so they replaced my unit. Those photos look like the old handles (my new one is all black), so it might be that issue.

Doesn't help much in your situation, but if people are reporting problems on plugshare for the unit, you could report it to the owner and have them call Clipper Creek

I've had this problem with one public Chargepoint that I couldn't get to work, and a GE Wattstation that required force to get to latch.

Sadly, even with force, I couldn't get it to work. :(

Doesn't help much in your situation, but if people are reporting problems on plugshare for the unit, you could report it to the owner and have them call Clipper Creek

I'll try calling the city, but I doubt they'll do anything, because it is a free station. I had thought that this was a problem with the J1772 adapter and not the station.

I'll try calling the city, but I doubt they'll do anything, because it is a free station. I had thought that this was a problem with the J1772 adapter and not the station.
Try a couple other J1772 stations to sort out where the problem lies.

Here is a photo of my CC J1772 handle:

J1772-plug.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, the latch has a switch in it as a safety feature, and I think it has to lie flat (parallel to the tube underneath) to be active. A flat latch corresponds to the button on the handle in the up position. The latch in your photo appears to be raised so a couple possibilities come to mind:

1. The Tesla adapter is not inserted fully
2. The latch spring mechanism is jammed/stuck
3. Either the end of the latch or its mate inside the Tesla adapter has warped a little and the misalignment prevents the latch returning to the level position.

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, the latch has a switch in it as a safety feature, and I think it has to lie flat (parallel to the tube underneath) to be active. A flat latch corresponds to the button on the handle in the up position. The latch in your photo appears to be raised so a couple possibilities come to mind:

1. The Tesla adapter is not inserted fully
2. The latch spring mechanism is jammed/stuck
3. Either the end of the latch or its mate inside the Tesla adapter has warped a little and the misalignment prevents the latch returning to the level position.

I agree that the switch is in the wrong position, but there doesn't seem to be any way to make it latch.

1. It's inserted fully, and even substantial force won't make it go anywhere. Its flush with the handle.
2. Could be... I can manipulate the thumb switch at the top of the handle to make it go up and down, but it won't cause the little notch to enter the fully latched position.
3. Certainly possible, but I don't know how to be sure. If it's a problem with the adapter, it's simple enough to get a new one. If it's the handle, I'll need to ask the city to make the fix.

Check the big green O-ring inside the J1772 handle. Sometimes they get out of place and prevent full insertion. Worst case, pull it completely out.

Thanks for the advice! Can I do this without disassembling it at all?

Check the big green O-ring inside the J1772 handle. Sometimes they get out of place and prevent full insertion. Worst case, pull it completely out.
I've had occasional trouble with some of these O-rings. Not a problem specific to Clipper Creek (my troubles were on a ChargePoint station at work). Just reach in and remove it, but do let someone know about it before it rains...