Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ClipperCreek owners, I need adviceHCS 50P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Pianewman

2021 MYLR VIN 88,XXX, Rd/Wh, 12/20 delivery
Supporting Member
Oct 28, 2020
Fort Worth
Clipper Creek HCS 50P owner here, 3 years old. Previously used on non-Tesla plug-ins, w/o any sort of adapter. Proper 50amp circuit. licensed electrician installed, extremely short run between service box and the outlet (This CC unit is a plug in)

Using the Tesla branded J1772, the EVSE keeps shutting down. Time of shutdown seems to be random. I've dialed back the rate of charge to 30, but the random shutdown still occurs. In addition, the cord gets very warm to the touch, it's entire length.

The EVSE is currently back in Clipper Creek's hands. They can't find anything wrong with it, other than wear. They're going to test it, using the J1772 adapter, to see if there's an issue between the EVSE plug and the J1772 adapter.

My questions for y'all. Is there a gap between the EVSE plug and the adapter? When I'm plugged in, I can gently lift the cable up/down, and the space between the EVSE and the J1772 changes. I'm wondering if the "droop" in the cable is causing a faulty connection?

Do you suspend the EVSE cord, or just let it drape to the ground when it's plugged in?

The Tesla supplied portable charger works just fine, FYI.

The J1772 adapter clicks into place on all three EVSE I have used to charge my Model Y with the adapter. I have never noticed any droop. I always let the charging cord drape to the ground in the shortest length possible.

When I took delivery of my Model Y in June 2020 I was using a CC LCS-20 that I used with my previous plug-in vehicle (2017 Volt.) I used the LCS-20 with the Tesla SAE J1772 adapter for two months before switching to an AmazingE FAST EVSE (charges at 32A.) The AmazingE EVSE is sold by CC, uses CC circuitry. This particular AmazingE model is assembled in Mexico. I have had no issues with using the AmazingE or the LCS-20 with the J1772 adapter. I currently mostly charge using a free public ChargePoint EVSE (30A), use a J1772 adapter every time I charge.

The charging cord on the LCS-20 would get warm but it was limited to a maximum of 16A . The AmazingE gets warm too, even warmer. That is to be expected as the AmazingE EVSE is capable of enabling charging at 240V and up to 32A. In fact the whole connection from the J1772 connector, charging cord, AmazingE chassis and the NEMA 14-50 power plug connection gets warm to the touch. The only thing that did not feel warm to my finger tips was the J1772 adapter.

If CC can't find any issue with the HCS-50, with or without the J1772 adapter, then there may be a loose connection at the 14-50 receptacle or at the panel. Also, if you can get your hands on the Tesla NEMA 14-50 power plug adapter you could test charging on the circuit using the Tesla Mobile Connector. I keep a 14-50 adapter with the Mobile Connector as a backup for home charging in case the AmazingE fails (I sold the LCS-20 when I purchased the AmazingE EVSE to another Volt owner.)

Last edited:
I used the exact same set up for over 2 years until I recently sold it and bought a Tesla HPWC that I installed a cord to. I NEVER had ANY issues charging our Y with this EVSE. In fact I wish I had kept it. I hope they can sort out the issue. CC builds a great product.