Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Close shave for the Tesla this evening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a slip road coming off a busy A road...

On the plus side hopefully the dashcam has saved a life. I pulled over, launched dashcam viewer, called the police and provided car and registration details. It was an old boy I think, hope he’s ok.

Reactions: SSonnentag
I captured this guy dumping his motorcycle at roughly 60 mph last evening. My front camera missed it all due to the 4-second gap between video files (wish Tesla would fix that). But by side camera caught the second half of the accident. Poor guy just bought his bike on Friday too. He claims it isn't his first bike, but he got too rambunctious when accelerating from a stop light and lost control. I'm just glad he was dressed properly with study shoes, pants, long sleeve shirt, helmet and gloves, and that he ended up fumbling and sliding off the right side of the road instead of into oncoming traffic. After getting him sitting down I washed some of the blood off his hand so we could access the damage. Definitely broke some bones in his hand and tore up his leg and arm some. He was in shock and was trying not to pass out when the EMTs and Sheriff arrived. I left shortly afterward.

IMG_6146.JPG

These photos are of some idiot driving 70 mph down the interstate with two mattresses tied to the top of her (his?) car.
IMG_6144.JPG

IMG_6145.JPG

Stay safe out there, and keep the cameras rolling.

My front camera missed it all due to the 4-second gap between video files (wish Tesla would fix that).

Absolutely. Far more than coincidence that the gap occurs at the critical point imho. I've taken to waiting a longer period after the incident to hit capture although not sure what the recent save on honk functionality does timing wise.

Dashcam - save recording misses the event?

Even though I know about this behaviour, this is the main reason why I will not claim dashcam discount on my insurance - its too easy to miss the critical event. And no, its not speed of recording media - even SSD users have this.

Sadly I had my own "close shave" this morning, which turned out to be closer than I hoped. Delivery driver's rear door wasn't closed and flew open to swipe my bumper as he moved out of the way (having been blocking the road). *sigh*

Annoyingly the dashcam failed to record it, for some reason the SSD wasn't detected today.. despite having sentry mode recordings from last week!

Attachments

• 666B3CAB-6D6B-4F54-BF72-07B28ED8E6A9.jpeg
    666B3CAB-6D6B-4F54-BF72-07B28ED8E6A9.jpeg
    743.2 KB · Views: 43