Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Close to ordering an AWD in White

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,

First post here. Have been following Tesla since its very beginning, even had a deposit down for the 1st Gen MS, but ultimately did not order and got my deposit back. Have been reading a bunch here about the M3.

Getting very close to placing an order for a white AWD M3. That said, as an outdoor/cycling guy, I'm so used to my Acura MDX's spacious interior, I'm facing a tough decision. It's so easy to just put the back-seats down in my MDX and throw the bike back there. Have test driven the car a couple of times, in addition an over-night test-drive. Having read all the "little" problems many of you M3 owners have experienced certainly doesn't make my decision process any easier. haha

Anyway, just want to write a quick "hello" here. May have to ask one of you for a "Referral Code" to get the 6-month supercharging. :)

p.s. Just saw the Rivian truck/SUV -- definitely a fan of the design.

The rear cargo area is surprisingly deep; you'd have to flip the seats down and take off the front wheel, but a bike could be transported that way. The aftermarket has produced other ways of mounting bikes on the car, some Googling can help with that.

The Model X has a tow hitch that would give you more flexibility, if you're willing to pay a much higher price than a Model 3.

Kardax...thanks for the note. I used to use Seasucker on my Bimmer, but it still wasn't as convenient as the MDX. Personally, I think MX is pretty fugly, especially the rear. Still, I'm drawn to M3.

The rear cargo area is surprisingly deep; you'd have to flip the seats down and take off the front wheel, but a bike could be transported that way. The aftermarket has produced other ways of mounting bikes on the car, some Googling can help with that.

The Model X has a tow hitch that would give you more flexibility, if you're willing to pay a much higher price than a Model 3.

Reactions: Darren Donovan
Oh...if that Rivian SUV/Truck were from Tesla, then I would have already placed my order.

I traded in a 2 year old Jeep Grand Cherokee for the 3 and don't miss the Jeep one bit. I just picked up the 3 and had a pleasant 2.5 hour drive home. It easily is one of the best cars I've ever driven and even beats my last ICE which is an Infiniti. Can't wait for that lease to be up to pick up a Y. Make the jump and don't look back.

Rivian definitely has a lot of issues to work through. Hence, if it were a Tesla design, I likely would have ordered it.

Model Y -- could be very interesting. Candidly, I still think it would be kinda small (e.g. BMW X3, Honda CRV), but with more head-room. I don't need a new car ASAP, but would like to ditch my ICE SUV; plus, don't think MY will be available until 2021, another two years.

Rivian's pricing goals are overly optimistic, a mass production build will be comparable to Model X in price, unfortunately.

If you're not in need of a new car ASAP, I'd hold out to see what the Model Y will bring.

A friend has a model s which he was to carry 2 bikes. :)

Here's our 2015 P85DL+ with TWO mountain bikes in the back... BOTH with their wheels still on.

Mine is a huge 2017 XXL Santa Cruz Hightower 27.5+ "fattie" (2.6' wide tires)

My wife's is a 2015 Santa Cruz Tallboy c 29er with 2.3" tires.

Yup, both fit inside with both wheels on. Amazing design & engineering. Our Tesla replace BOTH my high performance 505 hp 2006
Corvette Z06 AND our 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland SUV. Don't miss either one at all!

Attachments

• IMG_4799.JPG
    IMG_4799.JPG
    454.3 KB · Views: 70
All,

First post here. Have been following Tesla since its very beginning, even had a deposit down for the 1st Gen MS, but ultimately did not order and got my deposit back. Have been reading a bunch here about the M3.

Getting very close to placing an order for a white AWD M3. That said, as an outdoor/cycling guy, I'm so used to my Acura MDX's spacious interior, I'm facing a tough decision. It's so easy to just put the back-seats down in my MDX and throw the bike back there. Have test driven the car a couple of times, in addition an over-night test-drive. Having read all the "little" problems many of you M3 owners have experienced certainly doesn't make my decision process any easier. haha

Anyway, just want to write a quick "hello" here. May have to ask one of you for a "Referral Code" to get the 6-month supercharging. :)

p.s. Just saw the Rivian truck/SUV -- definitely a fan of the design.

Did you jump in?? :) If so, what did you get?

Rivian definitely has a lot of issues to work through. Hence, if it were a Tesla design, I likely would have ordered it.

Model Y -- could be very interesting. Candidly, I still think it would be kinda small (e.g. BMW X3, Honda CRV), but with more head-room. I don't need a new car ASAP, but would like to ditch my ICE SUV; plus, don't think MY will be available until 2021, another two years.
There are soooo many issues with Rivian
-Not proven at all, all the bugs will hit the first buyers
-If they go belly up, no maintenance
-no OTA, superchargers, FSD hardware
These would be deal breakers for me.
3 is fun and not expensive. AWD is plenty fast. Good luck.

I'm considering Y for later too. But no $7.5k credit and likely base price is at least $5k more.