Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Closing Front Doors Using The Touchscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When the front doors are closed using touchscreen, it closes the doors with a lot of force. The same goes with closing the driver side door by pressing on the brake pedal. It slams the door shut so hard that it can cause damage to the components inside the door panels. It's just a matter of time before things will have to be fixed or replaced.

If someone from Tesla is reading this, my request to you is... please make the doors close softly like the FWDs. The front doors really don't have to be slammed. They latch automatically even with a soft push anyway. I'm sure this can be done with a software update.

I agree with the OP, it slams them pretty hard, a little harder than it needs, given that moving the door close to the closed position, it will automatically latch itself. I'd expect a smoother automatic closing (and smoother sound) on a luxury car.

I have a september X100D, and also amazed by how fast/hard the frontdoors close. Not necessary.
I was reading in the "sticky resets post" and was hoping we can set it up ourself, but I think they describe only about setting up the windows of these doors?
I will definitly ask at Tesla someday..

Yep. If you have the auto-open on, you can open the driver's door with two presses, the passenger with another two. Of course then you also have to have the door auto open when you approach.

Ah. So 2 clicks on roof opens driver and after driver door opened, click 2 more times? Yeah we got PUP with driver door auto open but passenger does not. I had been opening the passenger door for my wife since we met 18 years ago. I thought I could remote open the door for her from now on LOL.

Reactions: Big Earl
Ah. So 2 clicks on roof opens driver and after driver door opened, click 2 more times? Yeah we got PUP with driver door auto open but passenger does not. I had been opening the passenger door for my wife since we met 18 years ago. I thought I could remote open the door for her from now on LOL.
You need to check your settings or have the SC check your doors. My September X did this fine until I turned off auto doors totally since I didn’t want it opening the driver’s door into traffic when parallel parked... :). (If you want to open the passenger door from the curb in auto mode, you need to open the driver’s door first. Not good when it opens into traffic a foot away...)

I changed to passive/no auto, so it unlocks for me as I walk up, but I need to push the button on the door to open the front doors. I wish there was a way to have it be manual on the doors themselves and also have the fob open the doors, but that doesn’t exist. (When auto is off, clicking on the fob roof just flashes the lights.)

You need to check your settings or have the SC check your doors. My September X did this fine until I turned off auto doors totally since I didn’t want it opening the driver’s door into traffic when parallel parked... :). (If you want to open the passenger door from the curb in auto mode, you need to open the driver’s door first. Not good when it opens into traffic a foot away...)

I changed to passive/no auto, so it unlocks for me as I walk up, but I need to push the button on the door to open the front doors. I wish there was a way to have it be manual on the doors themselves and also have the fob open the doors, but that doesn’t exist. (When auto is off, clicking on the fob roof just flashes the lights.)

My wife likes the auto door so it has to stay since it is her car anyway. I just get to drive her around on the weekend. :D And yeah once the driver door is open, double click can open the passenger door. I will probably just continue to open door for her manually. I am kind of used to walk toward the passenger door side anyway.

Reactions: boaterva
Dec 18 MX here and front doors close softly. There is no slamming. BTW, is there a way to open the passenger side front door with the key fob?
Hi. Can you do a video showing your door close. I find my door slams hard as well. SC said today one of the updates increased the speed of the swing to make sure the door closes. He also said there were reports where doors didn't close therefore the update to increase the speed of the swing.