Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CNN Trashes Common Sense Driver's aid development?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Say it ain't so Joe! Say it ain't so!
Tesla's latest Autopilot feature is slowing down for green lights, too - CNN

Tesla's intersection control system reduces speed no matter what the traffic lights display.
This is not a bad thing like so many people are claiming.
From decades on motorcycles I can tell you that I do cover my brakes and reduce speed at intersections. OK, I'll admit that I'm often speeding between stoplights. ;)

Let's say you're distracted while driving (DWD), will you see every intersection? Will you look both ways before entering the intersection? Of course not, that's the definition of distracted. Are other drivers equally distracted? Absolutely. There are more and more each day. I had a motorhome blow a red light in a 55 mph intersection last Saturday. I had two other adults in the Tesla and we were stunned. If I did not brake at that green light, I'd have t-boned that Winnie.

And this is what Driver's Aids are all about. They are Nannies for our new DWD environment. They will reduce your odds of being in an accident, and that's the endgame.

Reactions: APotatoGod and jdw
CNN = FAKE NEWS

LOL! We need to get Diamond and Silk on here to give is the "true story"; I hear they have some free time..

Meanwhile I just avoid getting behind a Tesla coming up to an intersection; no telling if the driver is paying attention and will actually "click the stick"/press on the accelerator before "braking for green" happens. Wonder what the liability is if the Tesla brakes for the green light and gets rear-ended....

I'm pretty critical of Tesla's approach, and even I can't figure out where anyone on this article is coming from.

The author posts a link to a youtube video of it slowing down for a green, but the person who made the video seems to perfectly understand the behavior. At least the part I watched. Where he wasn't surprised by the behavior, and explains that it will stop for every light regardless of whether its green, yellow, or red.

So why is the CNN author still confused?

Then there is the Duke professor who doesn't seem to understand that 99.99% of the time the driver is going to hit the throttle or the stalk to continue on. Sure I get that in rare circumstances some idiot will just let their car stop at a green light, but I've seen that behavior in drivers before. Where they just didn't realize it changed green before they got there.

I don't have much issue with the talk about releasing unfished SW. That's simply the way Tesla does it, and if you don't like it then the whole FSD isn't for you.

Don't have any issues with the criticism of the NTSB because Tesla should switch over to a driver monitoring system, and not the problematic steering wheel torque. But, that has really nothing to do with this feature.

I fail to see how this is going to lull any driver into complacency in it's current form as it forces you to respond to it at every green light. If you encounter 9,999 red lights in a row then I think you have bigger things to worry about than this feature.

Reactions: APotatoGod
It is always your responsibility to keep a safe, stoppable distance from the car in front of you.

Not in all cases. For example if someone brake checks you and you rear end them, they're deemed to be at fault. Likewise if someone pulls out/changes lanes suddenly in front of you and you rear end them, again they're deemed to be at fault. In the AP case it seems like the car slows down fairly gradually coming up to the stop line. The good thing is there would be footage of the accident the police could get from Tesla as it would have been sent in for AP training, and be up to the police to decide whether (and which) driver to charge.

I'm pretty critical of Tesla's approach, and even I can't figure out where anyone on this article is coming from.

The confusion comes from taking the Tesla marketing and fanboiing too seriously/literally. Elon says full self driving is just around the corner/is practically feature complete (whatever that means), we'll have driverless robo taxis on the street this year if those stone age regulators will just let him, cars on AP are 1B times safer than those being driven, etc., etc. Then this traffic light beta comes out and the media who just want to fill up 5 minutes of time with as little effort as possible try and align the statements, see its no where near usable and trash it like they've discovered the next Watergate break-in

Its unfortunate that everything is so pitched into extremes; Tesla is making good progress on AP but this "its going to solve world peace tomorrow" rhetoric followed by "this is such crap its going to kill us all" analysis just creates a firestorm for nothing.

LOL! We need to get Diamond and Silk on here to give is the "true story"; I hear they have some free time..

Meanwhile I just avoid getting behind a Tesla coming up to an intersection; no telling if the driver is paying attention and will actually "click the stick"/press on the accelerator before "braking for green" happens. Wonder what the liability is if the Tesla brakes for the green light and gets rear-ended....

Many people make the mistake that if you have the right away and are obeying the traffic laws, you won't crash or get killed. It's not true.

This was an entirely predicable crash. You first see oncoming drivers getting impatient, then you see a car dive in front of you. You have no escape route. You refuse to slow down. You see an unexplained gap the line of oncoming cars. What do you think was going to come next?

Likewise, if a car brakes at a green light, be very cautious. Lots of people are killed each year by going through green lights because they don't read the situation correctly. Most crashes happen at intersections, but few are actually accidental.

Reactions: jdw and APotatoGod