Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coast to Coast EV record

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is a breakdown of a hypothetical Roadster trip:
  • Using available charging sites (usually camp grounds at 240V/50Amps: I figured 9.8kW charge rate) (searched in Google maps "50 Amp RV" or "50 Amp Campground")
  • This is traveling near speed limit for safety reasons (not ideal).
  • taking 20 minutes time to reserve camp site and hookup
  • No time for getting food/breaks/sleeping along the way other then when charging.

• ~6 days (141 hours)
  • Average total speed including charging = 20.2mph
  • 26+ stops, *850kWh needed. * *(92 hours charging)
  • 49.7 hours driving (Google calculation of time which averages in stopping time for fueling - so real time would be slightly less)
With charging at ideal locations and slow speeds (unsafe *on some of these roads), it would take 120.5 hours at 55mph with, 20 stops, charging for 62 hours.

Here are links -
1st half: (Google maps seem to have problems with lots of data points)
Brooklyn Battery Tunnel/Interstate 478 N to E Main St - Google Maps

2nd half:
E Main St to I-210 W - Google Maps

I have not verified any of the following locations to see if they are available other then looking on google maps. Use at your own risk.
LegLocation Starting Pointmin. Travel Time (h)kWh neededmin. Charge Time (h)Distance milesSpeed Max mphCharge StationComments
1NY City3.353.819265Full charge - Range mode - NYC driving
2Carlisle, PA2.531.33.512560westernvillagervpark.com‎
3Somerset, PA2.838.54.315460hickoryhollowcampground.com‎extra charging needed
4Cambridge, OH1.523.82.88565http://www.campspringvalley.com
5Columbus, OH1.7530.23.410865University of Ohioneed to find charger by University
6Richmond, IN229.03.311660grandpasfarmcamp.com
7Cloverdale, IN231.53.510470 cloverdalervpark.com
8Effingham, IL2.532.83.713160camplakewoodcampground.comSt.Louis driving
9St. Louis, MO2.134.53.911470St Louis West/Route 66 Koa Campgroundnot seen on map
10Dixon, Missouri231.23.510370dixoncamping.comnot seen on map
11Springfield, MO231.53.510470route66koa.com
12Copeland, OK2.433.33.713360bearsdenresort.com‎Back roads + Tulsa, OK *75 on Open Interstate
13Stroud, OK2.132.33.612960Curious GiftsDon't see RV site on map lot of other potential places in town, Oklahoma City driving *75mph on Open Interstate
14Weatherford, OK1.7533.83.810175no camp grounds listed in area - lots of small townsfind connection - Airport/HS/Space museum - can stretch 40 miles to KOA near Elk City
15Shamrock, TX1.7532.23.69675i40camp.com‎
16Amarillo, TX1.733.83.810175fortrvparks.com
17Tucumcari, NM120.42.46175koa.com‎ Tucumcari, NMTop off - short run
18Santa Rosa, NM1.532.83.79875 santarosacampground.com
19Tijeras, NM 1.2523.82.87175hvrvresort.com‎Shorter charge - city speeds in Albuquerque
20Casa Blanca, NM1.630.53.49175Dancing Eagle RV Park
21Gallup, NM1.734.23.810275usarvpark.com‎
22Joseph City, AZ1.534.23.811370Normas RV ParkHills by Flagstaff
23Williams, AZ1.532.53.69775thetrain.com‎
24Kingman, AZ1.2527.13.18175blakeranchrv.com‎
25Needles, CA2.542.4714070desertviewrv.com‎Full range charge may be needed - this would be worst leg!
26Barstow, CA1.7535.23.910575barstowcalicokoa.com‎
27Pasadena, CATop off somewhere in LA area or go to final destination

[/td]

+1 daxz! Nicely researched, and it looks entirely achievable -- conservative spacing of stops. If this were a well-publicized effort, you could trim the check-in/plug-in time at each stop by having an advance team.

In an 85kWh Model S, you could, arguably, take out half or more of the stops, as each stop slows you down (get off highway, drive to campsite, charge, rinse-and-repeat). Again, it would make sense to push like that only if you had an advance team so you knew that each campsite was open and ready for you.

My fantasy trip used the lower-rate charging typically found in cities, e.g. I would stop in at Duke Energy Ohio's Cincinnati HQ, presumably to get some free press for Tesla and Duke, then up to AEP in Columbus, then to FirstEnergy in Akron. Not efficient, but more of a promotional tour.

So I'm planning my cross country Model S trip from Freemont to Trenton. I'm planning for the falls (I'm P #2124). DAXZ's iteniary is helpful though I'm really hoping to get a bead on the much discussed super-charger network. I'm going to do the trip with my wife and baby so 6 hour lay-overs at RV Parks (while possible for overnight) doesn't sound appealing during the day. I'm hoping to get 6 hours of driving in a day.

The plan is to take a southern route in order to visit friends in Dallas and North Carolina. Would like to go to the Grand Canyon, Santa Fe as well.

I know about KOA campgrounds and Elements Hotels. I'd like to find more B&Bs with high amperage charging or high amperage parking garages outside of CA.

I certainly want to follow the lead of those that have done it in Roadsters as I need to make the trip as painless as possible given the degree of difficulty involved in carrying the family.

We'll be buying the 230Mile battery.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Dan

So I'm planning my cross country Model S trip from Freemont to Trenton.
We'll be buying the 230Mile battery.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

1. Are you sure you want to pick up your car - it sounds like you may get stuck with CA sales tax then - Plus it looks like NJ has sales tax exemption
2. Regardless if superchargers are installed by then that is a LONG trip 3500(miles) / 400(miles/day) = at least 9 days.
3. without superchargers 400 miles is ideally: 400m/55mph = 7.5 hrs + charging (400m-230m)*261 Wh/m/9800Wh/h = 4.5 hrs charging
so minimum of 12 hrs per day
or at slow interstate speeds(70) its: 400/70 = 5.7 hrs + (400-182)*329/9800 = 7.3 = 13 hrs per driving day
with charging stations not being ideally located add a few hours each day

Roadster: 245 miles ideal range in Range mode. Model S: 300 miles. How could you take out half or more of the stops?
Daxz's stop spacing is highly conservative, even for the Roadster; I assumed that he was trying to avoid the need for using Range mode. We've heard, however, that the Model S doesn't have "Range mode", implying that full charging (at up to 20kW/h) is fine. So, instead of 180 mile range (normal) we're looking at 300.

Super impressive daxz! It reminds me of the old school AAA trip-tiks (that an actual person would put together for you). I hope they can add EV charging to that service.

dandodson, your roadtrip sounds very ambitious in a 60kwh pack with a baby in tow. More because of the baby than because of the battery pack. You never know when that kid will want OUT of the seat. Conversely when the kid is sleeping you just hate to have to stop (potentially waking the baby). Ideally you want to drive as much as possible when the baby is asleep, which is another variable to take into account for the trip planning.

Hickory Hollow Campground is only open April 15 - October 31, which renders this a summer-only trip. :)

We need winter charging points in the Northeast.

Also, does the University of Ohio actually have a charger? That would be a help for some trips I was considering.... I don't think it exists.

So I'm planning my cross country Model S trip from Freemont to Trenton. I'm planning for the falls (I'm P #2124). DAXZ's iteniary is helpful though I'm really hoping to get a bead on the much discussed super-charger network. I'm going to do the trip with my wife and baby so 6 hour lay-overs at RV Parks (while possible for overnight) doesn't sound appealing during the day. I'm hoping to get 6 hours of driving in a day.

The plan is to take a southern route in order to visit friends in Dallas and North Carolina. Would like to go to the Grand Canyon, Santa Fe as well.

A southern route will help you. If you travel after October 31, you're going to find all the RV Parks and campgrounds in the snowbelt closed, and you'll find there are huge gaps with no 240 V outlets publicly available. On the east coast, you'll want to come up the Northeast Corridor where there are more charging points. Do you know about the various charging point maps?

There will probably be no superchargers east of California when you take this trip, because Tesla is not moving at any speed on installing superchargers.

We are currently planning on taking a Telsa S cross country and attempt to beat the current EV coast to coast record.. Instead of relying on current or lack of Tesla Superchargers, we will designing and building our own mobile supercharger.. Hopefully, with the blessings of Tesla.. Currently the hold up is the charging protocols to all communication between our level 3 DC generator/charger and Tesla S..

Stay tuned..

We are currently planning on taking a Telsa S cross country and attempt to beat the current EV coast to coast record.. Instead of relying on current or lack of Tesla Superchargers, we will designing and building our own mobile supercharger.. Hopefully, with the blessings of Tesla.. Currently the hold up is the charging protocols to all communication between our level 3 DC generator/charger and Tesla S..

Stay tuned..
if ("...designing and building our own mobile supercharger..." && Posts == 1) {
ignoreTroll();
}

if ("...designing and building our own mobile supercharger..." && Posts == 1) {
ignoreTroll();
}

I Am Sorry That I Have Been A Lurker AnD Do Not Have A Million Posts.

We Are Not Designing/Building The Mobile Quick Charger..

Pola power Has Already Built It..
Rapid Charging Electric Vehicle | Polar Power
This Would Fit Our Needs Perfectly, The Only Issue Is Connector And Charging Protocols.. If We Had Help From Tesla Or A Work Around We Could Easiler Set The Coast To Coast Record Right Now. Not Having To Wait For Tesla To Build All Their Superchargers..

Thank You For Discounting Me As A Troll From The Get Go..

I am sorry that because I have been a lurker and not a member with a million posts that makes me a troll..

Polar DC Marine has already designed and built a mobile level 3 DC generator/charger.. The issue is CHAdeMO/SAEJ1772/Tesla charging connectors and charging protocols..

http://www.polardcmarine.com/polarpower/applications/rapid-charging/

Polar has already signed up for this attempt if we can get the connector and protocol issue resolved. The cars owner doesn't really like the idea of us guessing and using his Tesla S to test. He feels more comfortable if Tesla would help and give us assistance with connector and protocols.. Which is completely understandable...

I also understand why Tesla does not seem to want to help by essentially letting us jailbreak Tesla DC charging capabilities to allow third party quick DC chargers..

I finally joined and posted on here, because I finally reached a point I could not go any father with this project without the help of Tesla and Tesla owners knowledge..

Our team which is made up of some former Road Rally drivers (gumball 3000, bullrun), Mustang community, ford Raptor community... We are a well rounded group of gearheads who are coming over to the EV side..