Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cold air draft from trunk area solutions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Noticed this on my last trip (averaged about 25º F) that the backseat was a lot colder than the front, and this was with warm air on in the back. We figured out that if we put a blanket on the shelf thing between the trunk and back window that it helped a ton, I just would rather fix it than have a band-aid solution. Has anyone else had this issue? I'm fine to purchase something to install and mitigate the cold draft coming from that area, I'm just not sure what exactly to get. I've seen some things for sound insulation, but I'm not sure if those will really help with the cold.
April 2018 build Model 3

I know dynamat’s dynaliner blocks heat idk if it does anything for the cold but there’s lots of similar products for this if you search car thermal insulation and then you can apply it to the bottom of the rear deck
I was thinking something like that but I know it doesn't look that great. I was thinking something like this might help with temps, but then wondered if there would be space to do some dynamite on the bare metal and then this over it to look aesthetically pleasing. Was just curious if others had run into this and what their solution was.

Keep in mind the connection from trunk to cabin is by design. You might kill your bass or mess up your HVAC.

I tried a blanket there too as well to cut road noise and it did help.

later Model 3 changed it up but I don’t know how it connects now and I suspect t still does.

I certainly hope that this was a typo. Seems to be a drastic action and would probably make the problem worse instead of better.
I swear the damn iPhone autocorrect always gets the best of me. haha

Keep in mind the connection from trunk to cabin is by design. You might kill your bass or mess up your HVAC.
That was a concern of mine, which I was hoping wouldn't be an issue with the cloth insulation I linked above... but I don't want to waste money on that if it won't help with the cold. Sound doesn't bother me much.

From the trunk side you’ll see a large amount of exposed metal. Dynamat (or similar) then apply a cloth insulation (some companies make a pretty one, or you can do thinsulate...or both).

Insulating that panel will not have any effect on your air conditioner. It will probably however decrease the perceived bass from the sub.

Reactions: camthehombre