Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stopgap Tire Pressure Change?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I'm probably overthinking this, but my tires are close to the limit in terms of tread ware, with the driver rear tire at the limit. I'm getting new tires in two days (Hankook ION EVO), but I would like to make two drives totaling 200 miles before then. It will be raining heavily. My inflation is set to 42 psi.

Your advice:
  1. Don't worry about it, make the drives (there's a safety margin built in)
  2. Don't worry about it, make the drives but drive slower.
  3. Lower the tire pressure to _____ psi and make the drives.
  4. Don't make those drives (I can't take Tessie (see sig) because she has no roof rack. No surfing, boo hoo).

5. Rent a car with fully treaded tires.
6. Swap the wheels between two cars, and combine roof rack + tires with treads!

Driving on near-bold tires in the rain is neither relaxing, nor safe.
You could not pay me enough to do it.

HTH,
a

Reactions: XPsionic
The less tread, the greater the chances of hydroplaning. In "heavy" rain at high speed you're asking for it. I used to run my tires down to the cord with occasional light rain and survived, but I wouldn't recommend that, even on the internet.

If you have 3/32" and more moderate rain on a well drained < 70 MPH roads I'd do it. Lacking any of those, I'd find an alternative. As soon as the tire has to displace a a significant amount of water you're in trouble.

I would think increased tire pressure would help a little. It should reduce your contact patch and carve through the water a bit better. But clearly a real tread would be much better.

Reactions: XPsionic
Animorph is correct with regards to pressure.

I raced dot tires in the rain, talking motorcycles, and the Dunlop guy said a little more tire pressure opened the treads to move more water.

I have been running 44-46psi cold with Goodyears and have been happy. Hours and hours driving in the rain with absolute confidence. I'll never buy MXM4 tires.