Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Collection delays and registration dates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, but I couldn't see anything (albeit amongst the other multi-page delivery threads) and obviously all the US-based info is irrelevant.

I have an SR+ on order, placed 24th Dec. It's a business purchase so in an ideal world I'd collect it in March; early enough that the cost of the vehicle would fall into this tax year, and late enough for it be a 20 reg.

The delivery estimate is/was Feb, and I imagine from other posts here that'll only be short of March by 1-2 weeks, which financially doesn't make much sense. For any other usual car manufacturer order everyone would just wait to get the latest reg for re-sale costs.

So there's two questions:

- How much can you delay collection? And if you can delay it say 5 days, can you then delay it another 5 days and so on? With my pickup location being Heathrow (and living in Bristol) it's likely I'd need to do delay it anyway because I'll either need to take a day off work or have a free weekend day.

- When does the car get registered? I assume it's prior to pickup so they can print the plates etc but how far in advance does it need registering? Or are they all just registered on import so it'd be a 19 plate already anyway?

I'm in no real rush and I'd be happy to collect in April but it sounds like if I gave up my reservation in Feb I may not see another one assigned until May/June.

Any other advice appreciated!

When I placed my order the other day, the contact which we have at the showroom made a note on the order to not match us to a car until the start of April. Therefore I’m told we should get a 20 plate and note end up with a car before 6th April for BIK reasons.

I was also told to just reject any assignment if they try and give me one earlier.

Scott

When I placed my order the other day, the contact which we have at the showroom made a note on the order to not match us to a car until the start of April. Therefore I’m told we should get a 20 plate and note end up with a car before 6th April for BIK reasons.

I was also told to just reject any assignment if they try and give me one earlier.

Scott

I get that, but that doesn't mean you'll get one in April. You could be waiting until May/June, maybe even longer; Tesla probably don't even know that themselves.

The BIK tax to receive it before 5th April is £101pm so not a huge killer.

Reactions: Ch0pper
Trouble is you often get less than 7 days notice to collect.
Ideally you will get a phone call about 2 weeks prior to proposed delivery date.
I managed to delay delivery by 11 days because I was away on holiday - I was allocated a different VIN but I wasn't meant to know my allocated VIN anyway!

Trouble is you often get less than 7 days notice to collect.
Ideally you will get a phone call about 2 weeks prior to proposed delivery date.
I managed to delay delivery by 11 days because I was away on holiday - I was allocated a different VIN but I wasn't meant to know my allocated VIN anyway!
Interesting point you make here; so my VIN was allocated last Friday Jan 17th (all matched up now) - I am Goff to USA for a vacation in March, so knowing my luck the care will arrive while I am away - but if I can delay until I return that would be good - just don’t want Tesla to allocate it to someone else.

That's interesting the you have a vin already. I wasn't expecting anything for another week or two. I'm hoping to sell my car in advance to get a better price than part ex, so I currently have a difficult decision of when to try and advertise.

Normally day of collection. That allows them to reassign a car right up until pretty much appointment time, as happened with us. Same rego., different car and we were already at the appointment when they did the car swap - they couldn't deliver ours on time so gave us someone elses who was due to collect a few days later. So don't try and insure by vin - it can change.

• Helpful
Reactions: Russinating
Normally day of collection. That allows them to reassign a car right up until pretty much appointment time, as happened with us. Same rego., different car and we were already at the appointment when they did the car swap - they couldn't deliver ours on time so gave us someone elses who was due to collect a few days later. So don't try and insure by vin - it can change.

Ok, interesting. Guess they print the plates on site then?

So the chances are your car is on the Glovis Cosmos which is due to arrive at Zeebruuge around 8 Feb.
I would expect UK deliveries to be from 12 Feb onwards - so before you head off.
Many thanks !
I did hear from my leasing company that the car is on board a ship currently in Zeebrugge so must be same one, then kit is going to head to Southampton. I am waiting for a call next week eek to tell me about collection date. Getting excited! Thanks for all your help, much appreciated.

Do we think that collectively the Tesla staff have enjoyed their "quieter" couple of weeks and are now all pumped full of Red Bull to get through the next 6 weeks, or are they dreading the sight of the Cosmos turning up ? Somewhere in between maybe ....

Reactions: Vadervonham