Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Collection of my inexpensive mods

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@tuoncan thanks for the links to all the parts you used, any chance you'd be willing to upload the 3D models yet? Although documented on thingiverse would probably be ideal, if it's easier for you to just upload a zip of all the files, that'd be fine too (I could upload them to thingiverse too for you if you want). Thanks in advance

I've installed many additional changes....here are 2 in the front and back.

Hidden Licence plate ( I really didn't want to mount my licence plate on the front ) . You can also see the rim protectors and my red T in the middle. Its hard to see but I carbon fiber wrapped the insert that holds the red T in the middle.

I whited out the both the front and rear T and lit up the rear T. ( 2 levels of brightness 1. regular 2. brake (brighter) )

View attachment 370049
Really cool.
How did you mount the plate mechanism/mount to the vehicle since it's designed for a C7?

@tuoncan thanks for the links to all the parts you used, any chance you'd be willing to upload the 3D models yet? Although documented on thingiverse would probably be ideal, if it's easier for you to just upload a zip of all the files, that'd be fine too (I could upload them to thingiverse too for you if you want). Thanks in advance

I will try to do it next Monday since I'm not at home this weekend.

In the meantime I have changed the phone dock light and added the wire led at the back seats. While doing that I tried fixing some rattles inside the seats too.

Here are more pictures:
20190202_103844.jpg
20190202_135132.jpg
20190202_204617.jpg
20190202_110845.jpg
20190202_150226.jpg
20190202_112237.jpg

20190202_112846.jpg

20190202_205443.jpg
20190202_205402.jpg
20190202_113326.jpg

Last edited:
I will try to do it next Monday since I'm not at home this weekend.

In the meantime I have changed the phone dock light and added the wire led at the back seats. While doing that I tried fixing some rattles inside the seats too.

@tuoncan -- Awesome job! How / where did you wire the led wires in the seat? Did you wire them all together or individual power points? Would love a detail writeup! Looks amazing. Wife has a Audi-Q8 and it has led adjustable stuff all over the place and really looks sharp. this looks just as good as that. Wonder if anyone makes the led rope/string in multicolor/colorchanging?

@Garlan Garner With this quarantine, I'm circling back to all of the projects I've yet to finish. I've installed an el wire across the dash but would like to install door lights like yours that are also controllable via the ambient light button on the screen.

Where did you tap into the 12v for the door lights?

@Garlan Garner With this quarantine, I'm circling back to all of the projects I've yet to finish. I've installed an el wire across the dash but would like to install door lights like yours that are also controllable via the ambient light button on the screen.

Where did you tap into the 12v for the door lights?

Well I tapped into the pocket light that is already in the door.

I have since removed my elwire and moved to xkglow.

There is nothing wrong with elwire though.

Reactions: PNWLeccy
Well I tapped into the pocket light that is already in the door.

I have since removed my elwire and moved to xkglow.

There is nothing wrong with elwire though.
Any advantages of using xkglow? I always thought LEDs had less consistent light although i know xk is of higher quality. I thought they used 4 pin connectors instead of tapping into 12v which would mean it would no longer be controllable from on-screen ambient light controls, correct?

Any advantages of using xkglow? I always thought LEDs had less consistent light although i know xk is of higher quality. I thought they used 4 pin connectors instead of tapping into 12v which would mean it would no longer be controllable from on-screen ambient light controls, correct?

The reason I installed xkglow Is for the colors and the brightness. Not everyone needs that though.

You are exactly right. Xkglow is 4 pin.

Yes. I no longer have the opportunity to control it from the screen. I now use my phone because xkglow is Bluetooth.

The reason I installed xkglow Is for the colors and the brightness. Not everyone needs that though.

You are exactly right. Xkglow is 4 pin.

Yes. I no longer have the opportunity to control it from the screen. I now use my phone because xkglow is Bluetooth.
Gotcha, that makes sense. I thought about it for the ability to change colors but figured i'd probably use white 90% of the time anyways.

Do you have any pictures/guides of where to tap the 12v in the doors, is it fairly obvious? I'm planning to remove my door panels to add some soundproofing so I figured it's a good time to get both projects done.

Gotcha, that makes sense. I thought about it for the ability to change colors but figured i'd probably use white 90% of the time anyways.

Do you have any pictures/guides of where to tap the 12v in the doors, is it fairly obvious? I'm planning to remove my door panels to add some soundproofing so I figured it's a good time to get both projects done.

Correction....I almost forgot. I can control xkglow from the screen. All xkglow controllers have a wire on them called "control". You can set each controller to do whatever you want when voltage is on that wire. You can have the controllers turn on or off or change colors or whatever.

I actually did that and forgot. When I turn off the accessory lights from the screen my xkglows turn off.

Yes..the 12v to the door pocket lights is obvious. There are only 2 wires on them.

Good luck with adding soundproofing as there is some already there.

I may post a pic later

• Helpful
Correction....I almost forgot. I can control xkglow from the screen. All xkglow controllers have a wire on them called "control". You can set each controller to do whatever you want when voltage is on that wire. You can have the controllers turn on or off or change colors or whatever.

I actually did that and forgot. When I turn off the accessory lights from the screen my xkglows turn off.

Yes..the 12v to the door pocket lights is obvious. There are only 2 wires on them.

Good luck with adding soundproofing as there is some already there.

I may post a pic later
Nice! I didn’t know you had that much control over the xkglow lights. I was turned off by some of the other cheap aftermarket lights that required usb or a switch to turn it on and didn’t want that.

Nice! I didn’t know you had that much control over the xkglow lights. I was turned off by some of the other cheap aftermarket lights that required usb or a switch to turn it on and didn’t want that.

I re-installed ELwire on the back doors this afternoon..."just for you" to do a comparison.

The front door is XKglow. My apologies for the poor focus.

20200427_220807.jpg