Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Color Confusion [what color car should I buy]

What exterior paint color with white and black interior?

• Pearl White Multi-Coat w/ White interior

Votes: 57 76.0%
  • Solid Black w/ White interior

Votes: 18 24.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey All,

First post here. I recently placed my order for a Model 3 Long Range with the pearl white multicoat exterior and white and black interior. I'm now having second thoughts and considering changing the order to solid black with the white interior. I am hoping to get some opinions and experiences with either paint color combo.

I do have a few questions;

1. Are there any repercussions to changing order details?
2. I have read that the black paint is an "inferior" paint quality compared to the white as its not "multi-coat". It (still) that true?

Black paint shows swirls from washing if not carefully done. Also a black car is harder to see at night. Looks great all shiny in the daylight though.

I have the pearl white and am very happy with the color (although went with black interior to reduce reflective sun glare off of the white dash and reduce eye strain). Even paid extra for it when it was not standard choice at my purchase time. The multi-coat adds a nice dimension to it. First white body car and was nervous it would always look dirty. It doesn’t. Did Xpel and ceramic coating and with the ceramic coating it washes up nice, even after just a rain where the dust from the air just falls off with the rainwater.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slate
1. this may delay your delivery as they mention in the ordering documents and on the edit page. If you wait too long you may not be able to switch color. I can't tell but I would assume that changing from LR to SR or to P is less forgiving than swapping colors if you do so early enough in the ordering process (i.e. before being assigned a VIN)

2. Black used to be the entry level color but that's not the case anymore. As far as I understand, the "multi coat" vs not is not about paint quality as much as some colors requiring more coats as part of the coloring/painting process. Also I believe that white is more forgiving a color and is the reason why it's the entry level color: because they have fewer recalls so even if the paint is more expensive, it's more cost efficient to Tesla because white being more forgiving, defects goes unnoticed. Which may answer your question.

I ordered black for what it's worth. I think that proper car maintenance makes the "upkeep" question moot. If you apply ceramic coating at regular intervals and hand wash the car properly often enough, color won't matter. I personally plan to get at least partial PPF installed (considering full PPF in matte if I can afford it)

In my M3P I went for black outside and black inside. Looks great. I’ve just got rid of a Mercedes with light interior as family life was really showing up on it and needed constant cleaning. Good luck with a white interior, though I’m guessing your weather is likely to be a bit drier than in the UK!

Reactions: JohnnyMa
Yeah I mean white vs black interior really is about "is there messy people coming in or no?" I have 2 teenagers and a dog so white was a no-go. I like the white interior look vs black but I would not want to maintain it unless I could afford professional cleaning on a regular basis.

Reactions: Stranger Dings
Thanks for the comments and guys! Turns out if I make any changes to my order at this point, I will be subject to paying the new price $500 price increase along with the paint options. $1500 for a simple black paint is not worth it. Sticking with the white/white. Currently have a May 26 - June 15 delivery window. Look forward to sharing more soon!

Reactions: SMAlset and Phlier
White/white is just the way to go!

Attachments

• BE275983-6E3B-40F5-BE6E-5B91B72EC1F7.jpeg
    BE275983-6E3B-40F5-BE6E-5B91B72EC1F7.jpeg
    445.8 KB · Views: 309
Hello,

I have just joined the forums after 2 years of constant research into a Tesla M3 SR+, however I just can't decide between the exterior and interior. So I am wondering if anyone has opinions on their preferences as well as photos.

Ideally, I wanted White Exterior with White Interior? Any suggestions or their opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kieran

Hey All,

First post here. I recently placed my order for a Model 3 Long Range with the pearl white multicoat exterior and white and black interior. I'm now having second thoughts and considering changing the order to solid black with the white interior. I am hoping to get some opinions and experiences with either paint color combo.

I do have a few questions;

1. Are there any repercussions to changing order details?
2. I have read that the black paint is an "inferior" paint quality compared to the white as its not "multi-coat". It (still) that true?

i personally think white cars look like taxis. But i do realise they are common in the states and in australia...

the white paint is a multicoat paint so technically kinda better. but the reality is that its likely the default colour as imperfections show more up on black paint.

I have black and regret it. it takes insane effort to keep it looking good if you live somewhere where its sunny. if you live i.e. in europe where its grey and overcast or dark most of the year then it doesnt matter. But I have close to 3000 sunshine hours/year and my car looks aweful even a day after it has been washed.

Grey, blue, white always look good.

I if I could choose again i'd go for grey or blue.

Reactions: Ormond
Hello,

I have just joined the forums after 2 years of constant research into a Tesla M3 SR+, however I just can't decide between the exterior and interior. So I am wondering if anyone has opinions on their preferences as well as photos.

Ideally, I wanted White Exterior with White Interior? Any suggestions or their opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kieran

I got black exterior/white interior and love it. The contrast looks great, especially with the sport wheels.

Like others above me, I would say avoid black if swirls/micro-abrasions really bother you. I had paint correct and a graphene coating done and I can still see a few if I look for them.

White/white looks really good too IMO. Is there something specific that is causing you to hesitate on that? I would say that the majority of people usually don’t have “buyers remorse” over the color. It happens, but most people go with what they want and are happy with that.