Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Combine navigation route with AP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that a good next step would be combining navigation route to AP. That would at least tell to AP which exit not to take.

I have no doubt this will be coming in due time - if they can't figure out how to make safe fully autonomous lane changes it'll have to tell you to move over a lane or two, then wait for you to tell it to move, but I'm sure Tesla will do it.

(I'm still in the school that thinks the rear view camera can be digitized and used to find fast overtaking cars...)

I have no doubt this will be coming in due time - if they can't figure out how to make safe fully autonomous lane changes it'll have to tell you to move over a lane or two, then wait for you to tell it to move, but I'm sure Tesla will do it.

(I'm still in the school that thinks the rear view camera can be digitized and used to find fast overtaking cars...)

The Mobileye EyeQ3 chipset Tesla uses supports multiple cameras, so it's just a question of how the rear camera feed is routed.

The Mobileye EyeQ3 chipset Tesla uses supports multiple cameras, so it's just a question of how the rear camera feed is routed.

Maybe. When this was suggested before, most of the hand wringing was about the effects of the wide angle lens (how far back can you identify a car and track it?) and whether the camera world always be able to see such a car.

The short lens is certainly a limitation, but the camera resolution is high enough I think it is manageable. I don't think the camera will be blocked except in the worst stop and go traffic.

Of course, the side mirror cameras Tesla wanted to use would be a better answer for this in addition to their "mirror" benefits, but NHTSA rules have to be changed first...

Maybe. When this was suggested before, most of the hand wringing was about the effects of the wide angle lens (how far back can you identify a car and track it?) and whether the camera world always be able to see such a car.

The short lens is certainly a limitation, but the camera resolution is high enough I think it is manageable. I don't think the camera will be blocked except in the worst stop and go traffic.

Of course, the side mirror cameras Tesla wanted to use would be a better answer for this in addition to their "mirror" benefits, but NHTSA rules have to be changed first...

It's not a "short lens" it's a fisheye.

And you can de-fisheye fisheye distortion.

From the comments Elon made earlier in the year about testing AP from Silicon Valley all the way to Seattle, I am sure that they already have this developed but unreleased. It is a very big deal to let the car maneuver through intersections, with their wildly unpredictable environment. That is probably why they have the nav integration turned off for now.

Last edited:
From the comments Elon made earlier in the year about testing AP from Silicon Valley all the way to Seattle, I am sure that they already have this developed but unreleased. It is a very big deal to let the car maneuver through intersections, with their wildly unpredictable environment. That is probably why they have the nav integration turned off for now.

Yeah, handling stop signs and traffic lights with the current suite would be hard, maybe impossible.

What I was expecting to see fairly soon was just on ramp to off ramp Autopilot, including lane changes to match Nav requirements.

Yeah, handling stop signs and traffic lights with the current suite would be hard, maybe impossible.

What I was expecting to see fairly soon was just on ramp to off ramp Autopilot, including lane changes to match Nav requirements.

The car can not change lanes for you. It could prompt you to do so, but it would still require you to check your mirrors.

The car can not change lanes for you. It could prompt you to do so, but it would still require you to check your mirrors.

Yes, I understand this is the limit of the current software. I'm not sure that this is the limit of the current hardware, and honestly even the 'please move left two lanes when possible' version would be a useful step, however small.

Yes, I understand this is the limit of the current software. I'm not sure that this is the limit of the current hardware, and honestly even the 'please move left two lanes when possible' version would be a useful step, however small.

I agree, it'd be cool.

There is no rear-radar, as on other higher-end cars. So there's somewhat of a hardware limitation too. Can they still accomplish it? Maybe. The only option is to use the fisheye camera, and I tried to look at it while my wife was driving to detect cars that are far away (without de-fisheyeing it, obviously), and it's hard. We'll see if they find a safe/workable solution.

Yes, that plus reading speed limits and adjusting accordingly (I guess to the offset of "+x mph").
While I agree that knowing which exits to skip would be valuable, I would not want the car choosing my speed for me yet.

There are many times that I set the TACC to a speed greater than or less than the posted limit based on a variety of factors regarding the road and traffic conditions, and I'm not ready to have to manually override the car's decision on speed limits every time I use it. Even in the best of conditions, where I'm driving (and knowing the history of law enforcement activities in an area) can change what offset I might use from the posted limit.

If you are in the center lane of a 3 lane highway, and an auto ahead of you in the right lane has its direction light blinking to indicate a move into your lane, is AP aware of that eventuality? If so what does it do? If not, what does it do?

Well, the mobileeye camera is tracking tail lights for auto high beam already, and the radar knows the actual vector of every car in the front 45 degree arc, so having the car respond to flashing at the location of a known tail light set/radar target or a change in vector by a car in front is plausible. I don't think we're there yet, but the hardware is probably up to the task.

I've mentioned it in another thread already but saw there was discussion of the rear camera in this thread.

Today's "Your Autopilot has arrived" email mentions using multiple cameras for autopilot.
Our latest software update allows Model S to use its unique combination of cameras, radar, ultrasonic sensors, and data to steer down the highway, change lanes, and adjust speed in response to traffic

Keep in mind that it has to track objects moving REAL fast in order to be safe and you can't do that with just a camera. For example how many times have you been passed by a motorcycle going 100+ MPH and it startled you. Also, the vision of the camera can be blocked by the car or truck behind you.

Keep in mind that it has to track objects moving REAL fast in order to be safe and you can't do that with just a camera. For example how many times have you been passed by a motorcycle going 100+ MPH and it startled you. Also, the vision of the camera can be blocked by the car or truck behind you.

I agree with you, but technically it's still doable, at 60fps, the camera can track his motion in ~2' increments. It can be added to aid with the current sensor suite. But I agree, rear-radar is the way to go.

Yeah. I hate​ it when that happens. I can't wait until AP2.0 hardware is out with rear radar(s)!