Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comfort Suspension Details

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, what are the technical differences between the MY "Comfort Suspension" and the standard one (Springs/Coils, Struts, Bushings, ect...)?
Is this "Comfort Suspension" a selectable option?
Is it included in all new MY's?
Is it designated as an option anywhere on new MY purchase vehicles as verification (invoice, ect...)?

Thanks,

Last edited:
2023+ Model Ys have softer suspension than 2022 and lower. That's all comfort suspension is. They are a revised part number for the dampers that is less harsh. (But still pretty harsh compared to competitors) Nothing else is changed. Early models (2020/2021) had different springs, but that was about it.

Rear Dampers: 1188465-00-F
Rear Springs: 1188475-00-D (Same on 2022+)
Front Left Assembly: 1188371-00-F
Front Right Assembly: 1188376-00-F

Front coilover assemblies come complete with spring, tophats, and dampers.

These are the parts for the MYP only. There are another set of parts for the MYLR.

FWIW, I bought and fitted these parts to my 2021 MYP. They improved the bump harshness significantly, and I'm glad I made the change, but it's still firm ride.

MattM24 just installed the Koni's on his 2020 MYLR, with 235/55R18 XL104 Nokian Hakka R3 winter tires. He indicates that "The car drives a lot smoother over crappy roads. It feels more like a normal car now". I'm not sure how that would translate to a 2024 MYLR, already having the "comfort suspension" and on 19" stock tires, which is what I have, and it rides harsh, with lots of rattles as a consequence. I believe it rides with a slight improvement over my 2019 M3LR, but not by much and still harsh.

Matt24's comments:

Last edited:
Reactions: EVChris
MattM24 just installed the Koni's on his 2020 MYLR, with 235/55R18 XL104 Nokian Hakka R3 winter tires. He indicates that "The car drives a lot smoother over crappy roads. It feels more like a normal car now". I'm not sure how that would translate to a 2024 MYLR, already having the "comfort suspension" and on 19" stock tires, which is what I have, and it rides harsh, with lots of rattles as a consequence. I believe it rides with a slight improvement over my 2019 M3LR, but not by much and still harsh.

Matt24's comments:
Oh, I bet my car has a lot more rattles than your car does.

"Comfort Suspension" is just a term that seems to have started on forums. It came from Tesla changing the spring and/or damper rates softer after a certain date and can be identified by the parts posted previously. You can not improve the "comfort" of the suspension unless you reduce the spring rate or damper rate so that the wheels travel more for any given force. That is at the expense of cornering ability. Some shocks will have different types of valving that can react differently depending on the input force or speed which somewhat negates this tradeoff. Something similar is fitted to the new model 3.

Reactions: EVChris