Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Koni - Special Active (Red - Formerly FSD) and Sports (Yellow) - Coming Soon for Model 3 and Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
European SUV’s and stuff have 7-8” of travel for the rod to retract to suppress road noise. The Tesla has like 5”. There’s very little ‘free’ undistorted space before contact also the stop is non-linear so you’ll feel it throw the car into a frenzy even with the lightest bumps.

Even with all stock, trim them.
Getting my Koni special adaptive shocks installed this weekend. Should I tell the installer to cut the bump stops 1/2 or 3/5? (Gonna keep my stock performance springs) 2019 Model 3 Performance.

I realized, reading more into the spring rates of OEM springs, i probably have the stiffest springs.

Hoping for a good upgrade in comfort. I already have unplugged front/rear sway bars.

Last edited:
I just picked up a 2024 MYLR. The suspension seems … harsh.
Is this supposed to be the "comfort" suspension?
If this is comfort, should I be looking at Konis?
They say the suspension gets better over time. I have a 24 MYLR with 2k miles and it "appears" better now. Not great, but I'm probably getting use to it. I'm still considering swapping the stock shocks for Konis. Waiting on more reviews or a YouTuber to make a comparison vid.

Reactions: BUCKM3P and Kimmi
They say the suspension gets better over time. I have a 24 MYLR with 2k miles and it "appears" better now. Not great, but I'm probably getting use to it. I'm still considering swapping the stock shocks for Konis. Waiting on more reviews or a YouTuber to make a comparison vid.
you have touched on what really happens.
you get used to it. the suspension doesn't much if any settle in.

I suggest that you try to take some demo rides in cars MYLR that have different suspensions installed.
this is not easy and will take some time to find cars local to you.

Getting my Koni special adaptive shocks installed this weekend. Should I tell the installer to cut the bump stops 1/2 or 3/5? (Gonna keep my stock performance springs) 2019 Model 3 Performance.

I realized, reading more into the spring rates of OEM springs, i probably have the stiffest springs.

Hoping for a good upgrade in comfort. I already have unplugged front/rear sway bars.

Negligible difference between 1/2 and 3/5th. I’d go with the former.

I have some 2023 front and rear springs (Performance) going for dirt cheap if you’re interested as well as 2022 Long Range. Both complete sets have less than 1k miles.

Are you installing yourself?
If not, may I ask who will be? are they in Va?

Thanks much
Got Koni Reds (Special Active) installed in Manassas VA. ($300 install + $100 alignment, shipped directly from Tire Rack (authorized installer)).

Car: 2019 Model 3 Performance (stock performance springs from 2019 used)

Review: Better comfort for sure than stock. Can tell when shocks firm up on the highway compared to around town.

Going back to cut the bump stops in half, hopefully that will help with ride quality even more. Forgot to request the installer to cut them while it was at the shop. @LightSaber hopefully the ride quality improves.

Just installed the Koni Reds today, 9/2021 build Y LR. Stock springs. Cut the front bump stops down 10mm, rears not cut (looked pristine, no evidence they ever got hit). We use the Y like a minivan, just a way to haul or stuff, so I'm not making any comments about performance handling, not my jam.

Just casually driving around they don't feel dramatically different, but on the rough bumps it's a huge improvement. I still feel all the bumps, but they don't give me the kidney shots and teeth rattling impacts the stock struts did. Also feels like the wheels are always on the ground, where before it seemed like the car was vibrating around, wheels bouncing and skipping sideways on each bump.

Theres a really bad street I used to avoid. With the old struts, I couldn't go over 10mph and be comfortable. I just drove it at 30 with the Konis, no problem. Wife didn't stop talking to complain about the bumps; I had to remind her how bad the road was. Even at 10 with the stock set up, it still felt like it was bouncing over the bumps, not planted, kidney punching and rocking violently side to side. All solved.

It's not a comfort suspension; if you're looking for Lexus or Mercedes smooth, this is not that. Best way I can describe it is it feels exactly like the original 9/2021 should have felt from the start. I would never have searched for any upgrade if these were shipped from the factory.

I drove a 2024 Y LR for a couple hours as a demo last month while they replaced the windshield. Tried it out on this same bad stretch of road. I think these Konis are really really similar to the new Tesla "Comfort Suspension" at least for reducing the sharp impacts. Its hard to compare, because there's obviously a lot more sound deadening and better seat cushion foam in the 2024, but just from the POV of can I put up with the bad roads at the same speed as a 2024? I'd say 100%.

I was not going to keep this car, the ride was so bad. Now I can imagine keeping it long term.

FYI: we have 37k miles, and 3-6 months of de icing salt on the roads. The corrosion around the lower strut mounting bolts was so bad I almost couldn't get them out. Had to soak them in penetrating oil and work them back and forth with an impact gun, took up to 5 minutes to free them. Even if you don't change your struts, you should check those bolts, (or have them checked) clean them, and add a light film of never seize in there (and add blue loctite only under the nut). The inside of the stock strut hole was seriously rusty, in bad shape. The bolt cleaned up fine, no issues with it.

I could not be happier with these. Totally solved all my issues.

I drove a 2024 Y LR for a couple hours as a demo last month while they replaced the windshield. Tried it out on this same bad stretch of road. I think these Konis are really really similar to the new Tesla "Comfort Suspension" at least for reducing the sharp impacts. Its hard to compare, because there's obviously a lot more sound deadening and better seat cushion foam in the 2024, but just from the POV of can I put up with the bad roads at the same speed as a 2024? I'd say 100%.

I have an 02/24 Fremont LR and it is harsh. I feel everything. I guess the first thing I'll do is schedule Service but I want to just cut to the chase and install Konis.

I have an 02/24 Fremont LR and it is harsh. I feel everything. I guess the first thing I'll do is schedule Service but I want to just cut to the chase and install Konis.
I can't say you'll see a big improvement over the stock set up in a 2024. How many miles? The one I drove had 300 miles on it.

You might see some improvement, but I bet it's subtle. If you find your 2024 harsh, you might look for one of the true comfort options from any of the several vendors out there.

I didn't want any ride height changes, so I kept the stock springs.

Reactions: tm1v2
I can't say you'll see a big improvement over the stock set up in a 2024. How many miles? The one I drove had 300 miles on it.

You might see some improvement, but I bet it's subtle. If you find your 2024 harsh, you might look for one of the true comfort options from any of the several vendors out there.

I didn't want any ride height changes, so I kept the stock springs.

343 miles. "Comfort" can't be this bad.

343 miles. "Comfort" can't be this bad.
@EVChris Did any Model Y's you test drove ride better? When approximately were they built? Also were they Fremont or Austin built, and is your MYLR Fremont or Austin built? From what I understand, the chassis and some suspension parts are still different between the factories, and those things could certainly play a part in differing ride quality.

Also, what cars are you benchmarking your Model Y to for ride comfort? The 2015 Model S 85 with air suspension from your signature? Model Y simply doesn't ride as well as any S with air suspension, in my experience.

I suggest scheduling a fresh MYLR test drive before modifying your suspension. Tesla usually makes test drives easy, and there's always the possibility that something is actually wrong with your car. I don't really think so in your case, but I think it's worth a test drive comparison, just in case.

Note the wheel/tire models + sizes + tire pressures of the demo car. Ideally match everything as closely as you can between your car and the demo car. Obviously there's much more to ride quality than those things but they do play a part.

@EVChris Did any Model Y's you test drove ride better? When approximately were they built? Also were they Fremont or Austin built, and is your MYLR Fremont or Austin built? From what I understand, the chassis and some suspension parts are still different between the factories, and those things could certainly play a part in differing ride quality.

Also, what cars are you benchmarking your Model Y to for ride comfort? The 2015 Model S 85 with air suspension from your signature? Model Y simply doesn't ride as well as any S with air suspension, in my experience.

I suggest scheduling a fresh MYLR test drive before modifying your suspension. Tesla usually makes test drives easy, and there's always the possibility that something is actually wrong with your car. I don't really think so in your case, but I think it's worth a test drive comparison, just in case.

Note the wheel/tire models + sizes + tire pressures of the demo car. Ideally match everything as closely as you can between your car and the demo car. Obviously there's much more to ride quality than those things but they do play a part.

I live in Oakland and test drove down at the factory in Fremont where the roads nearby are excellent; Oakland, not so much. Still the ride on the test drive was much better at stops and turns.

Yes, the S drove well but this Y is absolutely bad, not relatively bad. I've driven a lot of cars over the years and this one feels like it's been driven 100,000 miles and needs new shocks.

Anyways, I have a Service appt tomorrow morning at 7:45. I'm hoping there's a simple fix. Otherwise, I'm getting Konis and Eibachs. I may chase down a Model 3 and swap the Geminis for Photons.

I live in Oakland and test drove down at the factory in Fremont where the roads nearby are excellent; Oakland, not so much. Still the ride on the test drive was much better at stops and turns.

Yes, the S drove well but this Y is absolutely bad, not relatively bad. I've driven a lot of cars over the years and this one feels like it's been driven 100,000 miles and needs new shocks.

Anyways, I have a Service appt tomorrow morning at 7:45. I'm hoping there's a simple fix. Otherwise, I'm getting Konis and Eibachs. I may chase down a Model 3 and swap the Geminis for Photons.
I'm thinking of getting the Koni red and Eibach pro kit springs as well. Can as anyone confirm that these works together? Emailed Koni but didn't get a response.

I'm thinking of getting the Koni red and Eibach pro kit springs as well. Can as anyone confirm that these works together? Emailed Koni but didn't get a response.

EA says they're compatible.

EA says they're compatible.

I saw that as well, but I'm a bit skeptical as there it's not mentioned in any other dealer's description, and seems like the paragraph is copied from Koni's website about yellow, not red.