Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comments about EC Certificate of Conformity (CoC)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello there,

Several days ago my new Tesla Model S was delivered at home after a long long wait... It is a Signature/Performance VIN fully loaded except for the performance pack.
I carefully went through the CoC and noticed the following:

• The "maximum permissible mass" is 2590kg (item 16.1) and the "mass in running order" is 2175 kg (item 13.) meaning that the max payload is "only" 415kg. I wonder how this can account for 5 passengers + luggage...
  • The car is not certified to tow anything. Fear enough, this does not make too much sense for an EV car anyway.
    But item 19. (Technically permissible maximum static vertical mass at the coupling) states "Not applicable". Does this mean that there will be no possibility to fit a hook for fixing a bicycle rack (assuming accessory vendors will adapt one for the Model S)? Strange since even a Porsche would accept one...
  • Item. 27 ("Maximum continuous rated power) : 69KW. Very low value since the motor is capable of 320KW. Maybe this is good in view of future tax measures EU government will inevitably take to draw money from Tesla owners... ;-)
  • Item 42 ("Number of seating positions - including the driver-) : 2 front, 3 rear.
    How about the optional rear facing seats which I took???

I am especially worried about the last item in terms of liability and insurance coverage in case of accident.

Any comments? As this is an EC-wide document, comments from any EC country are welcome.

Another lucky European with a MS! Did you go for the 19" or the 21" wheels? Be nice to see some pics.

Weight - if you look at the EU owners manual, p 8.4, it describes the vehicle capacity weight as 433kg (it also tells you where the sticker is to find the exact number for your car). I assume yours is a little less due to the weight of the options. Interestingly, they assume a typical passenger is only 68Kg... :)

Towing - any kind of towing is a big "no" for this car. The pano roof might be an option as I understand comes with roof mounting points tho? There's always that huge boot!

Continuous rated power - this is not peak power, and don't confuse it with kW/h. Typically a car uses much less power when cruising - just enough to maintain speed against friction, air pressure and gradient. I am guessing (as I cannot find any stats anywhere) that a MS on 21 inch wheels cruising at 130mph on a flat road with no headwind would need close to 69KW of power. I'm sure someone on here will be able to explain this better than I can!

Seating positions - if I remember correctly, this relates to permanent seats. As the rear seats are not permanent, they don't need to be included. You might want to mention the additional seats to your insurers so that they have a record of them in case of any dispute.

I went for a compromize (21" during the summer and 19" during the winter)...

OK for the weight, your assumptions are probably correct.

As for the towing hook, the issue is not about towing anything but about fixing a bicycle rack on a the tow hook. I find it sad that there will be no "legal" solution there while the competition will offer all sorts of solution using a towing hook. So be it. BTW, I confirm the presence of 4 roof mounting points on the panoroof but I can't imagine carrying bicycle there. Not green at all...

I will test your assumption and check the on-board KW-meter while driving at 130 mph but don't telle anyone ;-)

Seating position ; thanks for the advise, I will add a note on the contract so that the insurance company is aware (FYI, I took the Tesla Insurance which is sold by a Dutch insurance company in partnership with Tesla). I still wonder about the legality of all this. Police could stop me and claim there are too many people on board.

Seating position ; thanks for the advise, I will add a note on the contract so that the insurance company is aware (FYI, I took the Tesla Insurance which is sold by a Dutch insurance company in partnership with Tesla). I still wonder about the legality of all this. Police could stop me and claim there are too many people on board.

Can you elaborate on this insurance point. How did you get it and what the conditions are? For me the main question is getting insurance for the drive from Tilburg to Tallinn, but in general if the insurance is cheaper I'd not mind ;) You list your location as Belgium yet use Dutch insurance partnering through Tesla so I'm hoping this might be wider than just Belgium.

Can you elaborate on this insurance point. How did you get it and what the conditions are? For me the main question is getting insurance for the drive from Tilburg to Tallinn, but in general if the insurance is cheaper I'd not mind ;) You list your location as Belgium yet use Dutch insurance partnering through Tesla so I'm hoping this might be wider than just Belgium.

You can check http://www.tesla-insurance.nl/ for contact details. We Belgian actually received terms and conditions slightly tuned for Belgium. It seems Tesla Insurance has captured more than 85% of the Tesla owners in NL and has gathered a very good track records (few accidents by carfull drivers!). Hence rates are very competitive compared to popular insurance companies in Belgium. According to them, they are getting good success in Belgium too now that Model S is being launched.

I think that, because of EU open market, there is nothing preventing an insurance company from one country to cover owners of cars registrated in another country as long as this insurance company has some kind of representation in that second country. You may want to check wilth Tesla Insurance if they have such representation in Estonia.

Hope this solves your situation.

I had a small issue with the 7 seats on our MS when we were getting the car approved by the technical authorities here (we had to do this ourselves as Tesla have no representation down here). As the certificate says only 5 seats we chose not to debate it too much with the technicians... if we had pushed the point much they may have rejected the car and we would be in a mess.

As for insurance, I got fully comp with a €150 excess for €970. Not bad for a 420cv beast, at least for Spain! :) I could even order it onliine as the company (reale) had Tesla in its manufacturer list!. I get 2 years 100% replacement value... how does that compare with up North?

I had a small issue with the 7 seats on our MS when we were getting the car approved by the technical authorities here (we had to do this ourselves as Tesla have no representation down here). As the certificate says only 5 seats we chose not to debate it too much with the technicians... if we had pushed the point much they may have rejected the car and we would be in a mess.

Here we are... This confirms my fears. I am sure there will be some situation where this third seat row will be subject to discussions. What you experienced in Spain may very well happen anywhere in EU as the COC is the governing document and only shows 5 seats. Tesla keeps telling me that it is OK but your story shows the opposite. The inspection down there could have demanded to have the third seat row removed. Did they?

As for insurance, I got fully comp with a €150 excess for €970. Not bad for a 420cv beast, at least for Spain! :) I could even order it onliine as the company (reale) had Tesla in its manufacturer list!. I get 2 years 100% replacement value... how does that compare with up North?

In Belelux, the comprehensive insurance package at Tesla Insurance (behind which there is a large Dutch insurance company called Achmea) cost slightly above 2kEUR per year including taxes. No downpayment in case of accident provided you have Tesla reparing the car (which I would anyhow). I believe 3 year 100% replacement value but I need to doublecheck. Anyhow, 6.000km on the odo and stil no accident... ;-)

Here we are... This confirms my fears. I am sure there will be some situation where this third seat row will be subject to discussions. What you experienced in Spain may very well happen anywhere in EU as the COC is the governing document and only shows 5 seats. Tesla keeps telling me that it is OK but your story shows the opposite. The inspection down there could have demanded to have the third seat row removed. Did they?

Exactly. However if you say it to the insurance company that might be enough.

In Belelux, the comprehensive insurance package at Tesla Insurance (behind which there is a large Dutch insurance company called Achmea) cost slightly above 2kEUR per year including taxes. No downpayment in case of accident provided you have Tesla reparing the car (which I would anyhow). I believe 3 year 100% replacement value but I need to doublecheck. Anyhow, 6.000km on the odo and stil no accident... :wink:

So, sounds pricey although 3 years 100% is nice (almost worth taking advantage of ;) )

Lets keep the accident rate low... Our cars deserve to become collectors items when we are get too old to drive them :)

I am not so certain Tesla is correct. If the car's conformity certificate, which allows it on the roads in any of the EU member states without further certification, only mentions 5 seats and no additional seats in the back then the two 'back seats' are not "street" (as the American's use to say) legal. This indeed potentially can result in fines if the police notices that the back row is in use, but more importantly you run the risk that in case of an accident the insurance company will not pay out.

• Item. 27 ("Maximum continuous rated power) : 69KW. Very low value since the motor is capable of 320KW. Maybe this is good in view of future tax measures EU government will inevitably take to draw money from Tesla owners... ;-)
Sorry for waking up such an old thread but I need to revisit this item.

can anyone with a very recent delivery check if this still says 69KW?

New rules or new type certificate or something.
There is a rumor that the swedish registration officr will register them as 170 kw which will really mess with insurances...
but I can't see how they are allowed to do that unless the type certificate have changed.

[/LIST]
Sorry for waking up such an old thread but I need to revisit this item.

can anyone with a very recent delivery check if this still says 69KW?

Unfortunately, my MS performance is no more a "recent Delivery" (50.000km on the odo) so I will not be able to run that test. Anyhow, I tried it several months ago and remain skeptical about 69kW being enough to drive at 215km/h. Would be interested to hear from new owners...

Hi

Sorry to wake up this of topic, but my 2013's P85 just failed the technical inspection in Belgium because:

- "this car can't have only 69kW of power. You Dutch papers are wrong".
- "this car has 7 seats and the papers say 5 seats"

I'm going back on Monday, this time with a COC. Tesla says that even brand new cars are delivered with the same info.

It's amazing that 5 years later we still have misinformed technical control people or at least that they're not backed up by a database with all vehicles specs.

Anyone here can confirm their papers still show 69kw of continuous rated power and 5 seats even if they have the extra rear facing seats installed?

Thank you.
Regards,
St

I was again today at the technical inspection/MOT with my P85, now with a CoC from Tesla.

Again the same story, but now they say the CoC is wrong, it's missing paragraph 27.3 (maximum net power). What Tesla gave me only contains paragraph 27 (maximum continuous rated power, 69 kW).

We have the same story in Turkey. Our government taxes EVs relative to their motor output.(doesn't specify a duration for the output) It goes;

<85kW - 3%
85kW-120kW - 7%
120kW> - 15%

All Model S RWD were 3% in 2013-14 because of that CoC. Then came dual motor cars giving us hourly, instant and 30 minute power outputs in CoC. Cars were sent to a technical university and a report was written stating hourly output should be taken into account so 3% went on. However officially imported BMW i3 was paying 15% because of its 125kW motor. I think it has something to do with Model S motors being induction hence its inability to sustain that power (Autobahn heat up) whereas i3 or Model 3 for that matter have switched reluctance permanent magnet assisted motors having no problem with heat so paying more tax. Can anyone clear this up?

• Informative
Reactions: gelden