Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Common way to greet other Model 3 drivers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As someone still waiting for his Model 3, I am wondering if there is a way to greet or acknowledge other Model 3 drivers on the road?

I believe bikers often wave at other bikers, but car drivers never had any reason to greet other car drivers.

However, Tesla is different to other cars and the Model 3 is different to other Teslas.

We could just pass each other with the learned indifference of other car drivers, or we could try and give a signal that indicates both our joy of being a Model 3 owner AND that we care about each other.

Flashing lights or honking with your horn are both too obvious and have the potential to cause irritation to other drivers.

I am wondering if turning on windscreen wipers with a small water squirt could be a subtle form to say "my Model 3 is so happy to see your Model 3 it made me cry..."

For those driving in areas where the Model 3 has become ubiquitous - how do you react to seeing other Model 3s on the road?
I just hold up three fingers, sometimes gets a smile.

I couldn’t believe how many Teslas were in Tigard when I was there a couple weeks ago. The area was even more saturated than Bellevue, WA. I think the supercharger probably has something to do with that though.

Yeah, I think there is a need for more Superchargers in the area. The only close options are at the mall in Tigard and a Fred Meyers in Vancouver, WA. I noticed on the Tesla website it has future chargers coming to north and south Portland, yet that’s Tesla time...

Yeah, I think there is a need for more Superchargers in the area. The only close options are at the mall in Tigard and a Fred Meyers in Vancouver, WA. I noticed on the Tesla website it has future chargers coming to north and south Portland, yet that’s Tesla time...

Well most people should be charging at home but it certainly saturated the area

Reactions: DOC52
The only acceptable Tesla greeting is the “Autopilot wave” - window down, both hands out with full spirit fingers engaged.

If you’re not gonna go all in, then please just go about your day privately basking in the comfort of knowing you drive the same car half a million other people do.

Reactions: 1st in Line
The only acceptable Tesla greeting is the “Autopilot wave” - window down, both hands out with full spirit fingers engaged.

If you’re not gonna go all in, then please just go about your day privately basking in the comfort of knowing you drive the same car half a million other people do.

Haha love this. When I’m driving up the hill to my house I use both hands to steer as if I use “the force” to make the wheel turn. I don’t think anyone has noticed yet.

• Funny
Reactions: darth_vad3r
I tend to do this but with 3 fingers:

Model Y Wheel Wave.png

Makes a great Model Y sign!

Reactions: Kleenerth3
Car drives, you waves.

LOL. The Autopilot wave ... 2-handed frantic wave with no hands on wheel.

I saw this awesome post by @MXWing in the moved-to-snippiness-by-mod thread that I had to figure out how to quote to add in here after above...

[a Tesla driver] has the luxury to give [another driver] two middle fingers due to AP

So, ya ... two-handed friendly wave for fellow Tesla drivers.
Two-handed bird for people who really piss you off. Long extended one where you wave both hands around to emphasize the fact you are angered enough to risk AP driving for a few seconds while you focus your negative attention on them.

Hit 'Helpful' if you just mimed a waving around double-handed bird to see how it would work like I just did :D

As someone still waiting for his Model 3, I am wondering if there is a way to greet or acknowledge other Model 3 drivers on the road?

There are tons of Esses and Threes where I live... and I enjoy waving. With the threes, I hold up three fingers and wave. Yesterday a fellow "got it" and waved back three fingers.

I have waved since I bought my first RAV4EV back in 2002. I don't care if somebody does or doesn't wave back. It's an exclusive club.

Somebody said the other day that gas cars should be called "burners", and I just realized how appropriate that is, except in a Tesla, they're SLOW burners....

I've heard that people pull up next to each other before large shadows on the highway to see whose car phantom brakes harder :D

You can pretend that's just a joke but I looked at your profile posts. Every one of them is a snarky comment that tries to paint Tesla in a negative light. You decided last spring you wouldn't buy a Model 3 because it wouldn't be as reliable as your 16-year-old gas car and everything you post portrays Tesla negatively. Not one happy or positive post in your entire post history. Not one post that acknowledges the amazing products Tesla has created and is delivering to the world in record numbers. Not one congratulatory post about ANY of Tesla's achievements or innovations. Not one post about how well their cars drive or how safe they have proven to be. You focus on the tiny minority that hit a fire truck or caught on fire.

Why do you come here and what is your agenda? Is it just jealousy that you don't have one or is there more to it than that?

Reactions: PACEMD
I like the three-finger wave, probably what I'll use. I have been using the two-finger method. The V sign. My first car in 1971 was a 1967 MGBGT, chrome wire wheels, leather interior, red with white racing stripes, and overdrive, which is to say a 5th gear. Not reliable but a cool car for a 17-year-old who had worked 2 summers, loading trucks, for admission. In any case, not so many MGs in the South in those days. We generally greeted one another with the V/Victory sign. Seemed appropriate for a British car. Of course in those days that was also the universal Peace sign, but that was also cool. Some might even say it was far fuc*ing out. Here in Montana, there are not so many Teslas to wave at. And in the outback every car/driver waves at you anyway. You know, just because you are in a car and the other drivers haven't seen one of those in quite some time...........