Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Completely Disgusted.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me also try to get this straight:

A person orders a Tesla and gets unsettled by order page changes. He contacts Tesla. A person at Tesla, let's call him "Preston", tells the orderer that he will get the new specs. Orderer doesn't cancel his order and continues to get ready to receive his car. Later, Tesla says "no, you are not getting the new specs." Orderer is upset because he relied on communication with the company to make his plans (and have the outlet installed).

If this is correct, to chastise the orderer for relying on the information given to him by the company is both obnoxious and wrong.

You don't think Tesla should honor the word their employees give to customers?

After all, they could easily honor this word by allowing a re-order with original deposit untouched.

More importantly, since when do employee statements not create liability? Does Tesla live in bizzaro world where they or their employees can lie and get away with it because they mean well?

You can have a written agreement that says X and if the employee, whose job it is to communicate with customers, tells Y. Guess what? If Y is plausible, then there is a strong argument to be made Tesla needs to do Y. Agency is a b_. That's why having employees creates liability when they are poorly trained.

I say good riddance. We need better, more level-headed Tesla ambassadors, and the rest of us won't mind moving up in line for M3.
making a purchase of a product does not encumber or oblige the purchaser to become a promoter of that product.
sometimes the complainers have valid complaints, I know I've squawked plenty when I've had issues with the car.
some people become evangelistic with their proselytizing for tesla and IMHO that is as misguided as some of the complaints that pop up

Let me also try to get this straight:

A person orders a Tesla and gets unsettled by order page changes. He contacts Tesla. A person at Tesla, let's call him "Preston", tells the orderer that he will get the new specs. Orderer doesn't cancel his order and continues to get ready to receive his car. Later, Tesla says "no, you are not getting the new specs." Orderer is upset because he relied on communication with the company to make his plans (and have the outlet installed).

If this is correct, to chastise the orderer for relying on the information given to him by the company is both obnoxious and wrong.

Exactly correct.

I've been screwed by a Tesla employee as well and I can relate to OP. This is my first Tesla purchase so I asked tons of questions to a Tesla employee as i'm new to the Tesla world. Coming from over 10 years of purchasing and dealing with BMW, the experience with Tesla was amazing and I loved it until I realized I got deceived on my purchase.

I want to make note that their employees boast the constant updates on the software and such which is what I love as a tech guy. Never once do they mention that the hardware/battery/interior etc on the vehicles are always changing as well. This is something that needs to be emphasized and educated as I am sure most customers coming in are used to the basic yearly changes other manufacturers do. This is what I am accustomed to.

Confirmed my build on June 3rd. Had a delivery date set of late July/Early August. Day after confirming I get a call from my DS telling me they have an exact model that I built ready to go and I should take it so I can get my car sooner to enjoy it. I was ecstatic and asked a few more questions about it and I even jokingly asked "do you think there would be any changes from my build VS the April inventory model" since like I said above I am not use to these changes that can occur at anytime with Tesla. The DS said there would be no difference between the inventory build I would take VS the one I would be waiting for.

Picked up my 75D on June 16 and 2 weeks later, BAM, new motor/battery/whatever upgrade. Few weeks later, BAM LED and Air Suspension are now included (I wanted air suspension so bad but it wasn't even an option). I paid for the PUP specifically for the LED and adaptive feature. I could give 2 fks about the HEPA bio defense mode. Do we live in a war zone or something?

I wrote a thorough email to Tesla and after 5 days (and sending a reminder update email) they finally replied and threw me a free 3 year service plan and thanked me for being apart of the "movement". I threw it back at them and still haven't heard from them in 4 days now. I love how when I was shopping, they reply within hours when I have questions. Now that I am a customer, it takes days to get a reply. Not enjoying my post experience with Tesla at all.

Your third Tesla?

How did you charge the previous ones?

Unless I have completely misread you, there appears to be a a cloud of drama that follows you. One side is not enough to make conclusions here.

Tesla Can't Find My Car

You are correct, I created a massive cloud of drama, that sank to earth under its own weight and delayed deliver of my previous order for an instock new car by 2 months early this year. Poor Tesla....what can they do when their customers have the super powers to stop ocean going freighters.

Also in a sinister plan to stay warm and make Elon look bad I bought a new home in the pacific, on an island...learned how to create clouds .and called an electrician. 120 V was not dramatic enough for me! Muah ha ha ha ha.

I'll go get help, definitely a tipping point, mahalo.

You don't think Tesla should honor the word their employees give to customers?

They should honour contracts and make every effort, in utmost good faith, to tell the truth. If a mistake is made in good faith, then there's no requirement to honour it.

If a bank teller deposits funds into your account by mistake, should the bank honour its employee mistake? I guess you have to answer that one "yes" too in order to be consistent.

I was told today that Tesla will not honor ANY of the answers given to me by their inside sales person Preston. (I have a copy of the information given. On the day I have an electrical outlet installed, they tell me no you won't get air suspension, premium package lighting, etc. After Preston told me I would. I have promptly cancelled my order and I am going to cancel my model 3 reservation too. The disorganization of this company is staggering. The Model 3 would have been my 3rd Tesla, but Tesla is way to transactional to take responsibility for what their staff says or does.

Now I have a useless outlet in my garage. Maybe BMW will have something soon.......

I am really done with Tesla.....DONE.
You have it in writing?

Don't cancel it all yet! Ask us first. I've had to play hardball with them before and you can get them to give ground if you're persistent and polite. What's the full story here? Don't be rash.
I was told today that Tesla will not honor ANY of the answers given to me by their inside sales person Preston. (I have a copy of the information given. On the day I have an electrical outlet installed, they tell me no you won't get air suspension, premium package lighting, etc. After Preston told me I would. I have promptly cancelled my order and I am going to cancel my model 3 reservation too. The disorganization of this company is staggering. The Model 3 would have been my 3rd Tesla, but Tesla is way to transactional to take responsibility for what their staff says or does.

Now I have a useless outlet in my garage. Maybe BMW will have something soon.......

I am really done with Tesla.....DONE.

He works for Tesla. He made a bunch of errors. My local contact is working on the issue now....
Your post is useless as is your follow up.
it appears the OP ordered before the change to all air suspension happened and then he felt that he was entitled to get the suspension as if he ordered after the change. I hate to sound abrupt but this is how tesla works, people have missed important upgrades before and I am sure that there will be more instances like this in the future. It is tough medicine to accept but tesla delivered what he ordered.
Tesla makes exceptions Kort - they have for me more than once. Also we don't know what happened because the OP hasn't told us.

Reactions: cmorgan
Not really correct. Tesla was actually prepared to deliver what was ordered at an extra $1000.00 off showroom discount. Then an inside sales advisor at Tesla after being told of my July 6th order date, indicated that the upgrades would be included in my order and I would get the $1000.00 off. It took Tesla 5 days to correct this information, then I indicated my desire to cancel my order. Now Tesla is reviewing what can be done. I have the sales advisor's communications in writing. The disorganization really needs to be addressed.
Please quote what the sales advisor actually said to you in writing - word for word.

I've been screwed by a Tesla employee as well and I can relate to OP. This is my first Tesla purchase so I asked tons of questions to a Tesla employee as i'm new to the Tesla world. Coming from over 10 years of purchasing and dealing with BMW, the experience with Tesla was amazing and I loved it until I realized I got deceived on my purchase.

I want to make note that their employees boast the constant updates on the software and such which is what I love as a tech guy. Never once do they mention that the hardware/battery/interior etc on the vehicles are always changing as well. This is something that needs to be emphasized and educated as I am sure most customers coming in are used to the basic yearly changes other manufacturers do. This is what I am accustomed to.

Confirmed my build on June 3rd. Had a delivery date set of late July/Early August. Day after confirming I get a call from my DS telling me they have an exact model that I built ready to go and I should take it so I can get my car sooner to enjoy it. I was ecstatic and asked a few more questions about it and I even jokingly asked "do you think there would be any changes from my build VS the April inventory model" since like I said above I am not use to these changes that can occur at anytime with Tesla. The DS said there would be no difference between the inventory build I would take VS the one I would be waiting for.

Picked up my 75D on June 16 and 2 weeks later, BAM, new motor/battery/whatever upgrade. Few weeks later, BAM LED and Air Suspension are now included (I wanted air suspension so bad but it wasn't even an option). I paid for the PUP specifically for the LED and adaptive feature. I could give 2 fks about the HEPA bio defense mode. Do we live in a war zone or something?

I wrote a thorough email to Tesla and after 5 days (and sending a reminder update email) they finally replied and threw me a free 3 year service plan and thanked me for being apart of the "movement". I threw it back at them and still haven't heard from them in 4 days now. I love how when I was shopping, they reply within hours when I have questions. Now that I am a customer, it takes days to get a reply. Not enjoying my post experience with Tesla at all.

I hate to say this but Tesla doesn't work that way and they do NOT communicate future changes to ANY of their frontline employees before they are made. Heck, sometimes the front line employees find out from here/press releases before official internal communication goes out...

You're experience was perfectly normal. You think you're buying a car under traditional car buying methodologies but that simply hasn't been the case with Tesla and I hope it never becomes the case with Tesla.

Jeff

Reactions: Krugerrand
Maybe BMW will have something soon.......

They already do...

download (3).jpg

Enjoy!

Please quote what the sales advisor actually said to you in writing - word for word.
Tesla is not disputing what I was told. As both of us have a record of the online conversation. \

I can quote it:
"Yes you will received the smart air suspension at no additional cost"
"Ok, then you will continue to receive the premium sound and yes since the lighting has become standard on all vehicles, you will get the lighting."

Why did I get the $1000 off if I am getting the above upgrades?:
"Most likely to help compensate for the cost of the premium sound then. We have since wrapped that into our premium upgrades package."

"Now, that it is wrapped up into the premium upgrades the associated value is now $1500. So that package essentially just got cheaper, and to be fair to you, we went ahead and credited you the difference."

Quotes are verbatim what was said. Staggering disorganization.