Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Computer Screen For M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,
Started a thread about an M3 that I saw earlier in the week. I notice that when I was working with information system that the computer had two cracks in the screen. The dealer is stating that the screen protecter is cracked not the glass covering. If the glass covering is cracked does the glass get replaced or the whole system? Anybody have an issue with the glass cracking? Cost of repair or replacement?
Thank in advance for any and all asnwers.

Several questions and comments.....

1) I'm assuming that this is a used car, yes?
2) The "dealer" you got the info on the cracked screen protector.... is it Tesla or some used car dealership?
3) The screen protector cannot "crack" as it is simply a piece of plastic film that's on the screen. Some Tesla delivery shops will remove it and some won't
4) A cracked screen (the actual glass is cracked) MAY be covered by warranty, IF you can prove it wasn't damaged by the current owner.
5) Assuming that the screen will NOT be covered by the factory warranty, it should run several hundred to replace; I believe that the whole display assembly would be swapped out and not just the glass replaced.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
All,
Started a thread about an M3 that I saw earlier in the week. I notice that when I was working with information system that the computer had two cracks in the screen. The dealer is stating that the screen protecter is cracked not the glass covering.
Not sure if this is a brand new car or a used car. If it's a new car, the "screen protector" that comes with the car is just a thin plastic film that is typically removed. It can't "crack".
If the glass covering is cracked does the glass get replaced or the whole system? Anybody have an issue with the glass cracking? Cost of repair or replacement?
Thank in advance for any and all asnwers.
The car doesn't come with another glass covering from factory. If the glass of the actual screen is cracked, the whole screen will need to be replaced. If you are the DIY type, you might be able to do that yourself buying a used screen on eBay, if not, it might cost quite a bit for both the screen and labor to have Tesla replace.

However, if you mean it's a used car, it's possible it's aftermarket screen protector. I would have the "dealer" remove it and confirm the screen is undamaged. A replacement screen protector is a lot less expensive than a screen (even a used one).

I appreciate all of your responses. The M3 is used and is at a non Tesla dealer. The dealer is an ICE dealer. I discovered the crack and mentioned to the rep. Nobody at the dealership was aware of the issue. I am not a DIY. Thank everybody for their input.

I would try to find a private party looking to sell. Most ICE dealers are clueless on Tesla and their features. I bought my M3 through a private party and the owner knew everything about it.

Certain screen protectors 100% can crack. If they are glass protectors, they are actually designed to crack under certain stress to save the actual glass underneath. I’ve had this happen with protectors on my tablets and laptops; peel off the protector and sure enough, screen is fine.

If there is just the plastic film protector, those don’t crack.

Either way, remove the film or protector layer and look at what’s underneath. Only way to know for sure

Reactions: TexasTezla
I appreciate all of your responses. The M3 is used and is at a non Tesla dealer. The dealer is an ICE dealer. I discovered the crack and mentioned to the rep. Nobody at the dealership was aware of the issue. I am not a DIY. Thank everybody for their input.
It could be a glass screen protector that was applied. Ask them to remove the screen protector so that you can look at it and inspect.