Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Concerning Build Quality of Tesla Model 3 and Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The owner didnt give tesla a chance to examine the vehicle or make right before starting legal proceedings by the sounds of it

So rather than get a refund or wait for a new car until Feb 2023 he chose to have his car fixed exactly the same as would have happened without any legal procedure

Tesla should absolutely improve their PDI, they rush cars out with too few staff to cope and no customer should get dirty or damaged cars - I did myself but rather than being a Karen I just talked to tesla, got the car looked at and fixed.
True... I had car with scratches all around, luckily I had car wrapping scheduled and they did touch up as part of the process...

Point is, as you said, PDI should be done properly, people are already waiting months for car so no excuses that they didn't do it because they wanted to deliver fast.

Secondly, it's guaranteed bad look when they can't resolve outside legal system, which is called customer service.

Wait time for new order is till February, but it's not new car they would be placing order for - so if they wish to, they can always deliver replacement in weeks, same like they delivered model Y orders within weeks. Indicating that in tribunal process is just a lame excuse to do nothing and force customer to suck it up.

Why would tesla take a car already allocated to a customer and hand it over to someone when they wont even allow tesla to examine the vehicle and make amends.
Tesla delivered vehicle with fault and dirty appearance. Person demanded replacement car, fair point - he/she never paid for repaired car...

Tesla had all opportunity to fix it beforehand during PDI and Noone would notice.. missing that opportunity and asking for second chance is not how customer service work.

Why would Tesla get that car and give to someone else... not ethical... they would either keep it as loan vehicle, demo vehicle, sell as second hand, or use for parts 🤷

I have no particular sympathy for Tesla these days but it could have been damaged at the port/in transit. I agree that the service centre should have prepped all cars carefully, and if necessary delayed this poor chap’s initial vehicle delivery. He in turn should have waited until Jan 2023 for a new car rather than going to court to foolishly try to expedite the process.

Reactions: Audietron
I have no particular sympathy for Tesla these days but it could have been damaged at the port/in transit. I agree that the service centre should have prepped all cars carefully, and if necessary delayed this poor chap’s initial vehicle delivery. He in turn should have waited until Jan 2023 for a new car rather than going to court to foolishly try to expedite the process.
From outside we can all say that person could've waited, but we don't know how long person already waited before getting damaged car and how much faith person may have at that stage to count on tesla to deliver something better.

My cousin at Chicago had car deliver and with few days when try to charge for first time, battery not charging, diagnosis was new battery needed as they missed out faulty battery in PDI... they asked for refund or replacement car as they weren't going to wait again... and got full refund.

They wasted 3 month wait period and decided never to go back to Tesla... knowing how big Tesla fan she was, that was big.

PDI is key part of deliver and quality control... if it delays deliver, communicate with customers and give options to either fix or wait for replacement to cone - simple as 🤷

My cousin at Chicago had car deliver and with few days when try to charge for first time, battery not charging, diagnosis was new battery needed as they missed out faulty battery in PDI... they asked for refund or replacement car as they weren't going to wait again... and got full refund.
You're delusional if you think PDI can weed out every single issue a car might have over its lifetime. Some issues just aren't going to present themselves until after some use.

You're delusional if you think PDI can weed out every single issue a car might have over its lifetime. Some issues just aren't going to present themselves until after some use.
Totally agree.
But being able to charge, or having scratches on cars body, floor mat being dirty, or seats having stains are pretty much easy to test... and should be picked up.
Most issues, except faulty hardware which can only be tested after driving some distance (like FSD, GPS) or structural integrity are detected easily.

bad build quality..In our Model 3, picked up 9/4/2021, a minor thing found after getting the car home..The frunk area, removable cover over air intake for cabin air, etc. The white clips do not fit into the holes, which are too low to actually work. Also, the actual duct for the air does not seat properly and has some big gaps on one side. Not a big deal, but pretty crappy non the less. Panel gaps were ok except for bottom edge of drivers door. One corner was in about 3/8" in, the bottom corner. Definitely not even up to a bottom of the line Honda quality.

Reactions: Audietron
I just took delivery of a 2023 Model Y LR, build in Texas and it had just one nearly imperceptible fender misalignment and a slightly wrapped under-dash panel. Overall, it is as good as my 2023 BMW X3 M Competition as far as build quality is concerned. I'm very happy coming back to Tesla again. I am really looking forward to my Quad motor Cybertruck.

Attachments

• 20221225_160015.jpg
    20221225_160015.jpg
    759 KB · Views: 75
  • 20221225_160025.jpg
    20221225_160025.jpg
    682.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 20221225_160052.jpg
    20221225_160052.jpg
    827.7 KB · Views: 42