Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Confessions of an i3 owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back at the end of 2014, I did a 3 day test drive of the BMW i3, and posted a review of sorts on GM-Volt.com. My (novel length) thoughts from that review are reprinted below.:

The Car
BMW i3 with the Range Extender
Giga Trim (mid-level of three trims offered)
Options: 20" rims & heated seats
List price: $49,500 with dest; This dealership is advertising $4500 off on all i3s at the moment.

Breakdown of Driving over Three Days
Fri - Drove from dealership to home; 22 miles, 85% freeway
Sat - Drove from home to office and back (to simulate daily commute); 37 miles, 75% freeway
Sat - Drove to local shopping area; 10 miles, non-freeway driving
Sat - Drove out to dinner; 10 miles, non-freeway driving
Sun - Ran errands; 8 miles mix of freeway/city
Sun - Wife drove to Dallas and back for shopping and errands; 65 miles 90% freeway
Sun - Drove out to dinner; 5 miles
Mon - Returned car to dealership; 22 miles 85% freeway

Total Miles Driven: Approx 180 miles

The Good
The feel - This car definitely has a more premium feel to it than the Volt. It feels very solid. Even the doors shut and feel more solid. It DOES feel like a BMW (note: I've owned a few and sold my 10 year old M5 to lease our Volt).

Acceleration - All EVs feel torquey off the line, but the i3 is really nice in this regard. Car and Driver clocked the i3/rex at 7 seconds flat to 60. A significant delta over the Volt's 9 seconds. It pulls harder and longer from both a stop and on the freeway. Because it is so LIGHT it also makes you want to toss it around more. The Volt is comparatively heavy and even though it can be "fun" in Sport mode, it doesn't inspire me to fling it around.

Handling - This is BOTH a good and a bad. Because it is light it handles decently, BUT the skinny tires do betray it as you can feel them get a bit squirmy when pushed. At 6-7/10ths it mostly feels fine and fun. Beyond that, you realize it is a little tall and on skinny tires. It is what it is.
(Edit: I also really like that it is rear wheel drive "like a "proper" car . ;>)

Looks (aka: Vanity, thy name is i3) - Yep, I am placing the looks in the "Good" section, but hear me out. I will be the first to admit this is NOT a beautiful or even really "attractive" car - not at all (those of you who believe it is may need an eye exam). A friend if mine refuses to even test drive it and declares it "Aztek level" ugly/hideous. Indeed, even my own wife said (as she followed me home from the dealership) "What was that ugly Pontiac you always talk about?" - the Aztek - "Yes, it looks like that". My stepson also declared "It is kind of ugly". So, WHY the heck is it in this section? Because it is INTERESTING and POLARIZING. As a "car guy", both I (and my vanity) love that. Indeed, when I drove it on Saturday I had one young guy pull up next to me and give it a long stare, smile and big thumbs up and nod. it was my first real day to drive the car. Now let me count the number of times that has happened in my Volt in 29 months....that would be zero. Other times folks were craning their necks, coming over to see it in parking lots, etc. Queue Carly Simon's "You're so vain"....

Charging Speed - The i3 is rated at 7.2 kwh (note: possibly temp reduced on this model due to KLE issues). I admit, I came to like this and commented as much in the 6.6kwh thread in the Volt 2.0 subforum.

The Bad
Ride Quality - The issue here is the general jostling about you get in this car. I am convinced it is primarily due to the tall package and short wheelbase. Yes, the shocks are a bit firm and it has the 20" rims instead of the 19" base units, but when coupled with the wheelbase you get the head bobble effect for you and your passengers. Now lest you say "Hey BMWs ride firm, you just aren't used to it", I've owned a few including the E36 M3 my son now drives. The impact harshness is well controlled (BMW does a great job at this) so bumps aren't incredibly intrusive in terms of shocks traveling through the cabin, but the whole cars just simply rocks you about over road bumps. With our XC60 R-Design I felt Volvo got the rear suspension "wrong" (i.e. too firm) so 90 days after we bought it I climbed underneath and swapped the rear springs and shocks to those of the base model. Unfortunately, there is no "sport" and "base" suspension on the i3...just the one. I always say it is IMPORTANT to test drive a car on the roads YOU drive on (if at all possible) to see what it will be like for you day in and day out.

Freeway Twitchiness/Dartiness - I don't know if it is the skinny tires, poor steering sensitivity or what, but it is twitch on the freeway. Both my wife and I noticed it immediately. You just find yourself making constant minor adjustments. It was a bit windy on one of the days, but hey this is Texas, it is ALWAYS windy. I admit that I was getting used to it a bit by the time I had to drive it back to the dealership, but even then I was mindful of it. My wife noted "I never felt I could relax in it on the freeway". I will say others have reported the same on the i3 Facebook page (which is a great resource). There is supposedly a software fix that improves the steering sensitivity on center and other have recommended messing with tire pressures (typically increasing them). I had no way to confirm whether the former had been applied, and no time to mess with the latter. Indeed, higher tire pressures might have helped, but perhaps at the expense of impact harshness or ride quality. It would be interesting to drive one again which could be CONFIRMED to have the patch.

Charge Port Location - Notice to ALL EV manufacturers for the U.S.A. The correct location for the port is IN THE FRONT. I had to either back up my driveway OR do a little dance at the top to rotate it around (impossible when my wife's SUV was parked there). Pain in the butt.

The Rest
Noise Level - The noise level seemed better than the Volt at low speeds (the better impact harshness absorption helped here), but perhaps as loud or even louder at freeway speed.

The Range Extender Engine - As luck would have it, the engine came on for "maintenance mode" on my ride home from the dealership (about 3 miles form my house) so I got to hear it and feel it. As with the Volt, on the freeway it is basically undetectable. At a stop, I could feel it and here it. It sounds like a lawn mower. Higher pitched than the Volt. Not great, not terrible...perhaps a tad embarrassing given its tone. As a comical moment, I was sitting in it Saturday morning messing with the idrive when it kicked on and I friggin' jumped. Seemed like a bit more vibration traveling through the cabin than in the Volt. In reality, it is a non-issue. It came on again when my wife did her Dallas shopping run (ran out of juice). I asked if she noticed it (nope). At one point she said she rolled down the window to hear it. She was driving her usual 70 mph+ when it came on w/o performance degradation.

Suicide Doors - These are basically cool...and stupid. It is cool when you are showing them off and mostly stupid the rest of the time. We made one trip to Walmart and had a small challenge loading stuff up into the car. It isn't really much of an issue for us as we rarely have kids in the back seat any more (they are grown). If we did have kids back there, it would be more of an issue for sure.

The Interior - I was always ambivalent about it, but never did like the plant fiber panels. I did, however, like the big greenhouse, improved visibility (still has blind spots, but not like the Volt which is horrible), and general airy feel. It is amazing how many folks say they "really like" it though. When we dropped it off, we sat in the full leather version and it is definitely nicer, BUT in some ways the Giga interior "fits" the car best. It is quirky (like the rest of the car), and you still get the funky wood dash (unlike the base mega car). Tough to choose between giga and tera for me.

Value Proposition - The problem here is the Volt is just really good value. It is a similar problem with the ELR. It too would be much more loved if the dang Volt weren't sitting right there offering much of the same goodness. BMW's have never really been about "value proposition" though. I mean, c'mon we would all be driving Accords and Civics for Pete's sake if that was all we cared about. My wife had trouble with this. She just wasn't sure it was worth the premium over the Volt especially since it suffers in some areas.

Summary
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the i3 is a HOT HATCH Play from BMW. It is the VW GTI of the EV world right now (ironically, probably moreso than either the e-Golf or GTE will actually be from VW). It is FUN to drive. Like hot hatches, however, the ride quality can a bit tough and get "old" in day-to-day driving. Unlike other hot hatches it could have more room in the hatch area, but it sits more upright and you have a nice view of the road. Will we get one? Hmmm, the prices have definitely come down (i.e. discounts) and lease deals are much better (not "EV deal" better, but better). Indeed, this dealer was advertising $4500 off all i3s which put this one down to $45K w/o negotiating. Add in the $7500 Federal and $2500 Texas rebate (note: this is no longer available) and $35K seems reasonable (of course the latter applies to all EVs). Still, that ride quality is a concern as is the freeway ride - you can see how much suburban freeway driving we do. Honestly, the Model S is what I'd like, but I am not going to drop that kind of coin (I wish they were substantially cheaper used, but they aren't). For now, let's just say the i3 is still on our list as a possible replacement for our Volt...but I anxiously look forward to seeing what Volt 2.0 has to offer as well. (note: Volt 2.0 is a great car, but doesn't feed my inner car guy as I had hoped it would).

bu.. but.. really how do you get over the stupid idiotic suicide doors?. if someone is sitting in the back - kids or adults - how do they get out? Forget getting out. If you have to pick up someone at the curb and they need to get into the back seat, how do they get in?

Oh, I understand. The driver has to open his door and then open the back door. Easy peasy, right? NO. That is highly annoying and stupid.

Also I am surprised there were no comments about the Adaptive cruise control. I found that to be lot more jerky and iffy than Model S

Unless you are driving exactly how the EPA tests the car no, no it's not. That range estimator is just EPA range. It doesn't account for how you're driving the car at all. So who knows... maybe your daily drive to work just happens to perfectly mimic the EPA test cycle. :)

That's not a range estimator, that's a battery charge indicator which happens to use "miles" as its units. If you want a range estimate, use the Trip tab in the energy graph with a destination set in the navigation system to view your estimated arrival SoC, or use the energy graph's projected range based on your last 5/15/30 miles of driving.

The "XXX miles" on the battery indicator is just a weird way of listing a percentage. If it bugs you, flip the switch to make it actually display a percentage instead of miles.

'Looks (aka: Vanity, thy name is i3) - Yep, I am placing the looks in the "Good" section, but hear me out. I will be the first to admit this is NOT a beautiful or even really "attractive" car - not at all (those of you who believe it is may need an eye exam). A friend if mine refuses to even test drive it and declares it "Aztek level" ugly/hideous. Indeed, even my own wife said (as she followed me home from the dealership) "What was that ugly Pontiac you always talk about?" - the Aztek - "Yes, it looks like that". My stepson also declared "It is kind of ugly". So, WHY the heck is it in this section? Because it is INTERESTING and POLARIZING. As a "car guy", both I (and my vanity) love that. Indeed, when I drove it on Saturday I had one young guy pull up next to me and give it a long stare, smile and big thumbs up and nod. it was my first real day to drive the car. Now let me count the number of times that has happened in my Volt in 29 months....that would be zero. Other times folks were craning their necks, coming over to see it in parking lots, etc. Queue Carly Simon's "You're so vain"...."

The Aztec, Aztec?! I hate to do this, some of you might have just ate. But as a defense mechanism we might have forgotten what the Aztec actually looked like. Look below at your peril. The designer of the Aztec should have been banished to Siberia, and if he shows his face again, he should be beaten with a sock full of nickels without hesitation.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Hmmm... I had remembered the Aztec as being supremely ugly but next to the i3 it sort of blends in and doesn't look as bad. The nostrils of the i3 look really strange. Also, the i3 looks like an HD image (16:9) squished horizontally to show on a 4:3 TV. Compared to the i3, the Model 3 front looks polished and coherent. Ok, this is all personal opinion since styling is subjective.

Hmmm... I had remembered the Aztec as being supremely ugly but next to the i3 it sort of blends in and doesn't look as bad. The nostrils of the i3 look really strange. Also, the i3 looks like an HD image (16:9) squished horizontally to show on a 4:3 TV. Compared to the i3, the Model 3 front looks polished and coherent. Ok, this is all personal opinion since styling is subjective.

The Aztec looks like it was put together from GM spare parts. I'm certain no Aztec owner was ever stopped and complimented on the car. ;)

It won't happen because the implications with the EPA are too big, especially with the diesel-gate fallout. It would be nice to have that functionality from BMW though. There really is no reason to handcuff it.

Look into BMW coding. It's widely available at many shops and individuals on forums. It will allow the range extender to come on pretty much anytime. It's very safe as long as the person has the right program and knows what they're doing. There are whole forums on BMW coding. There's even a Carly App that allows you to code many BMW, Mercedes, Porsche cars via your phone, but I don't believe they have i3 support yet. There was a nice article in Roundel (BMW Car Club of America publication) where an i3 owner could't drive to his destination because of a mountain climb near the end of his trip. After coding, it was no problem.

I currently own the i3, no range extender on mine. I'm super excited to get my MS, but I really love that little car and part of me will miss it. I think overall BMW did an excellent job. It's really fun to drive, very quick, and handles well.

They also have plenty of room for improvement. In their total focus to shave the weight of the car, they made a lot of compromises. One is the seats, they barely have cushion and get uncomfortable after a while. The other is the rims, although they look good they are awfully thin. My brother asked me if those were the original tires on the Ford Model T. They are so thin that in heavy rain the car feels a little unstable.

PS: Some here have called it ugly, I disagree. I get stopped and complimented on the car on almost a daily basis.

I'm sure BMW saw what happened between the Civic Hybrid and Toyota Prius. The Prius was a huge hit because the car screams "look at me, I'm saving the world" while the Civic blended in with the rest of the Honda Line up; I'm sure they purposely made the car stand out.
It's designed as a City Car, so I'm thinking people won't be in the seats for long periods of time, but I agree the seats could use a little more padding. The tires are more of the problem (though they are narrow); if you get some more performance tires, it'll drive much better. It's pretty light, so it doesn't need a super wide tire.
The i3 is very advanced for what you're paying. How many other cars have a carbon fiber tub at that price point? It's also VERY "green" with recycled plastics and sustainable trees for the trim. There was something unique about the leather too, but can't remember.

Y'know the range extender is a joke. i3 as an EV has a range compromise. Every EV has a compromise, Model S's compromise is price. If you can make that compromise, that's the compromise I'd rather make. I can't wait for cars like Model 3 where you can have an EV that can be your daily driver and only car, and not have to make any compromises. And yes, they should charge for supercharging.

Then I got an email

From the local BMW dealer. $0.00 drive-off and $259.99 + tax a month for a top of the line trim i3 with the range extender. The i3 has been on my short list for no other reason than it's owners seem to like it and having a second electric car would inevitably end up in me putting less miles on the Tesla. Combine that with the fact that the Infiniti needed tires, was 7 years old and the BMW came with a $2500 California rebate and I was sold. We grabbed the i3.
How in the world could you get such a deal? I recently did a weekend i3 test drive & would lease one if the price is right, but the best quote I can get here in MN is a base Giga world non-REx for $350/month with $3000 down (or almost $450 per month with $0 down). For a Giga world non-REx with a few options (parking sensors, adaptive cruise) I was quoted $460 per month with $3000 down. I would take an i3 at $260 per month plus tax with $0 drive off.

How in the world could you get such a deal? I recently did a weekend i3 test drive & would lease one if the price is right, but the best quote I can get here in MN is a base Giga world non-REx for $350/month with $3000 down (or almost $450 per month with $0 down). For a Giga world non-REx with a few options (parking sensors, adaptive cruise) I was quoted $460 per month with $3000 down. I would take an i3 at $260 per month plus tax with $0 drive off.
you need to shop around, all dealerships are not created equally. maybe your local dealer isn't willing to move the car, while dealerships in other parts of the country are. People who are willing to shop the internet, travel to make the deal can easily save thousands on their car purchases (not tesla) In the case of the limited range cars like the I3 you have to factor shipping the car into your purchase price.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
you need to shop around, all dealerships are not created equally. maybe your local dealer isn't willing to move the car, while dealerships in other parts of the country are. People who are willing to shop the internet, travel to make the deal can easily save thousands on their car purchases (not tesla) In the case of the limited range cars like the I3 you have to factor shipping the car into your purchase price.
And this is yet another reason why the car dealership model is widely hated.

Yes, BMW is dumping i3's on the market right now to make way for the refreshed 2017 with a bigger battery and a few more standard features to try to make it at least marginally competitive next year.

I've had an i3 BEV for almost 2yrs, and an MS for about 2 months. Other than both being electric, they have nothing in common; they are entirely different cars. That said, we really like both of them and own them specifically for their strengths.

The i3 is absolutely the best city/around town car to drive. First and foremost, it is amazingly nimble with an incredibly tight turning circle that lets you get in/out of almost any parking space or parking lot. The ACC and auto parking really work, and have worked well for two years. The ACC is nice in stop/go driving, just don't let it drive through a red light. The auto parking will put it into places I would not have attempted on my own. We get 80-85 miles of range (in Comfort mode, I never use the Eco modes) which is more than enough for a day of our usual local driving.

I agree with most of the criticism. The rear doors are awful, but I don't care because we rarely have more than two in the car, and with the rear seats down there is a lot of cargo space and no lift over lip. It's definitely twitchy on the freeway, because it was designed as a "mega city" car. The REX version is really a poor idea as I would never want to drive this car more than 70-80 miles in a day.

The MS is entirely different. It's awful to drive in the city or around town; the turning radius is huge and the visibility is poor. But put it on the freeway, or just an extended stretch of two lane road, and it's wonderful.

We find we make about 80% of our trips in the i3, but the miles end up split about 50/50 because we take all the longer trips in the MS.

The bottom line is that if you like EVs, and you're not wedded to each person having their own personal car, the i3 (or maybe a Bolt next year) makes a great pairing with the MS.

• Informative
Reactions: spottyq and gavine

Lease prices on these appear to be a lot more competitive in California. So I think that's one component. More than that though, I believe it was a door buster and there was one car at that price which I happened to get. The car was an hour south of me and I gave 4 or 5 local dealers a chance to match it or even get close and all said it was either a) and impossible deal or b) a door buster and I should get down there ASAP before someone else did.

And this is yet another reason why the car dealership model is widely hated.

You have no idea. They ended up changing my term, my money factor, messing with my trade. The traditional dealership model can die and I won't cry for the lose of jobs for very long.

Reactions: Boatguy