Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Configuration Queue Priority

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel like this has been discussed before, but I'm struggling to find the thread, so please forgive me if it has. Now that all reservationists have been invited to order in the U.S. and Canada, does anyone have insight into how they prioritize the orders once we actually configure?

My assumption is the following: They have the general queues for Performance, AWD, and RWD. They are giving top priority to Performance for new builds, then AWD, then RWD. Once you configure, your order goes into the build queue for whichever of those trim lines you chose based on the date and time of your configuration, and then further segmented by the color batch/wheel batch they are producing at the moment. Does that sound right?

What I am getting at is, does reservation date no longer matter once you configure and put down the $2500? Is it first come, first served now?

I feel like this has been discussed before, but I'm struggling to find the thread, so please forgive me if it has. Now that all reservationists have been invited to order in the U.S. and Canada, does anyone have insight into how they prioritize the orders once we actually configure?

My assumption is the following: They have the general queues for Performance, AWD, and RWD. They are giving top priority to Performance for new builds, then AWD, then RWD. Once you configure, your order goes into the build queue for whichever of those trim lines you chose based on the date and time of your configuration, and then further segmented by the color batch/wheel batch they are producing at the moment. Does that sound right?

What I am getting at is, does reservation date no longer matter once you configure and put down the $2500? Is it first come, first served now?
Nobody knows for sure. There are people that configured in April and still waiting for a VIN while others that configured late June and are already getting their vehicles scheduled for delivery the first week of July. The choice of color / wheel combo / location / good old fashion luck play a role.

Now that July is here I just hope they start cranking out a bunch of VIN assignments. Maybe they have inventory cars for RWD and are assigning as they see fit.

Reactions: ConcordeSST
Nobody knows for sure. There are people that configured in April and still waiting for a VIN while others that configured late June and are already getting their vehicles scheduled for delivery the first week of July. The choice of color / wheel combo / location / good old fashion luck play a role.

Now that July is here I just hope they start cranking out a bunch of VIN assignments. Maybe they have inventory cars for RWD and are assigning as they see fit.

Yup, I fully realize I'm asking for speculation. That was my assumption as well that they are assigning inventory cars to some RWD orders, perhaps based on logistics around their location.

Thank you. I've seen that before. Not quite what I'm after but interesting nonetheless. That is what I was referring to when I said "then further segmented by the color batch/wheel batchthey are producing at the moment."

It does give me the impression that it is first come, first served once you configure. I'm just trying to discern if I have the same chance of getting my car in the 3-5 month window as someone who configures after me but reserved long before me.

Note to others reading this, I don't want to start a debate about whether I should get priority over someone who reserved earlier, I'm happy to accept my fate either way, I'm just trying to discern whether I will or not for financial planning purposes.