Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Congestions time calculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A friend had a question about my MS that I don't know. When navigating thru an area that is congested, does the nav. system incorporate the delay into travel time? I realize that decreased energy demand during congestion minimizes energy loss, but, time, I don't know.

Thanks,

Chuck

Does this help? It's from the manual, under "Maps and Navigation":

Model S detects real-time traffic conditions and automatically adjusts the estimated driving and arrival times based on traffic. In situations where traffic conditions will delay your estimated time of arrival and an alternate route is available, Model S reroutes you to your destination. You can turn this feature on by touching Controls > Settings > Apps > Maps & Navigation > Traffic-Based Routing > On. You can specify the amount of time savings (in minutes) that must be achieved before you are rerouted by touching the arrows associated with the Re-Route If It Saves More Than setting.

As to how well it works... let's just say that I usually run Waze on my phone.

Reactions: ig_epower
In my experience, it seems to account for traffic dissipating on longer trips. For example, if navigating from NY to DC, it won't give you a later ETA based on congestion in DC at that exact moment. It will give you a slightly earlier ETA on the assumption that the traffic will clear up as time goes on.

We use that often in local traffic. It does make adjustments, and it does seem to be quicker.
However, without driving both routes at the same time, it is difficult to test.
What I can say, is that for us, the estimated time of arrival is uncannily accurate.
I am trying to figure out a way to as our Tesla what tomorrow's lottery numbers will be ;)