Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connecticut can't sell Tesla Vehicles..... Come on Already

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was speaking with a fellow Tesla owner and he told me Connecticut does not allow Tesla to sell vehicles in their State. I thought New Jersey was in the dark ages, we need everyone in Connecticut to contact their Congressmen and Senators, hell call the Governor's office. That's what I did when NJ was going to vote.

I am going to attach a couple of links to the complete story.

COME ON CALL WRITE OR GO TO THE STATE CAPITOL... Let's get this done.

AP News : Connecticut bill would allow Tesla to bypass using dealers

Connecticut Bill Would Allow Tesla to Bypass Using Dealers - ABC News

Call your Congressmen, Senators Hell call the Governor's office voice your SUPPORT, That's what I did when NJ was going to vote..

Come on EVERYONE let's get this done......

Tesla can't sell in Connecticut. HOOTERVILLE USA

I was speaking with a fellow Tesla owner and he told me Connecticut does not allow Tesla to sell vehicles in their State. I thought New Jersey was in the dark ages, we need everyone in Connecticut to contact their Congressmen and Senators, hell call the Governor's office. That's what I did when NJ was going to vote.

Call your Congressmen, Senators Hell call the Governor's office voice your SUPPORT, That's what I did when NJ was going to vote..

Yes it is also one of the states that does not allow direct to consumer wine sales.

In many respects, CT is a very old fashion state. We still can't buy alcohol on Sundays or after 9pm all other days. Until recently couldn't buy a car on Sunday.

That said, our tiny state was one of the first to have a supercharge station and now already has 4 Supercharger locations.

The Milford Service Center has a back room with a showroom layout but they are not permitted to talk about purchasing, pricing or options with customers.

While I was there, a potential customer arrived and they were directed to Westchester Mall. The law however does not prevent owners from discussing the car so I happily answered the customer's questions but had to encourage them to test drive the car in Westchester, NY.

I was told they would be revisiting with lawmakers this summer with hopes of having a showroom in Greenwich, Milford and West Hartford.

In many respects, CT is a very old fashion state. We still can't buy alcohol on Sundays or after 9pm all other days. Until recently couldn't buy a car on Sunday.

Not being able to buy a car on Sunday has nothing to do with the state being old fashioned. It's related to why Tesla can't sell cars directly, namely the strength of the auto dealer cartel. When states repealed their Blue Laws, the auto dealers lobbied to exempt themselves from the repeal. Most retail businesses supported repeal and wanted to have the option to open on Sundays. Auto dealers saw the legal requirement to stay closed on Sundays as a way to avoid competition with each other and the extra expense of staffing the business seven days per week.

A source at my state auto dealers association told me they have two goals for each legislative session- to protect the franchise law and to protect their exemption from the Blue Laws repeal.

By old fashion, I meant unwilling to change with the times. The Blue Laws are a thing of the past and our legislation was slow to adapt. We can now buy cars on Sunday. Hopefully buying cars on the Internet will be allowed before too long.
You may have missed my point. Of course the Blue Laws are a thing of the past. The Sunday closing of car dealers is a manifestation of the political power of the auto dealer cartel who want to save on operating cost and limit comparison shopping. It had nothing to do with the reason for the Blue laws. If Connecticut has repealed that exemption for the auto dealers, it would represent a rare defeat for them. I wonder how that came about. It might provide a model for other consumer-friendly legislation that the dealers oppose, like direct sales.